-

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official SIN CITY Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
169 replies to this topic

#1 of 170 Mike.P

Mike.P

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 08:24 AM

There is a sneak preview about 5 minutes away from me tonight, and I just heard about it about an hour ago - I'm thinking of driving over there and demanding tickets, since its so close Posted Image.

#2 of 170 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 07:04 PM

I l-o-v-e-d this movie, albeit not for the reasons I was expecting. I think most of you guys will have a freaking BALL with this flick. Enjoy!

Also, there's an interview piece with Robert Rodriguez over at JoBlo's and here's what the director had to say about the DVD:

We shot the full stories of the books, and I knew we could truncate it down, knowing that we weren't going to lose any scenes; eventually they would all be available for people to see. So the DVD will come out with the theatrical cut, and then there'll be a separate disc that's got the individual episodes separated with their own title card, and you can just watch The Big Fat Kill from beginning to end, the full cut. That's a single story. Then switch over and watch The Yellow Bastard and that's forty five minutes. It'll have all the material back in. So it'll be like the experience of picking up the book, where you pick up one story and you read it from beginning to end. And it'll have all the material in it. You can have, you know, shuffle your own version of the movie and just watch them all separately.

#3 of 170 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted March 31 2005 - 02:24 AM

Great news. I figured Weinberg would like this one. He likes the blud and guts!

Ebert gave it Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image here

Can't wait. Great news about the DVD breaking out each story. I'll be interested to see how RR weaves them in the film.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#4 of 170 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 03:49 AM

One more day...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 170 Mike.P

Mike.P

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 05:10 AM

Ok, some things I'm really getting annoyed with in movie reviews.

I've read a few of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, the negative ones, to see how people could not love the Sin City stories.

Exactly as I expected, all the knocks are against the violence and the sexism.

I just love how I've read several reviews who said the movie was entertaining and cinematically well done, but all that darn violence was offensive and unnecessary.

Oh well, to each their own, I guess I now know which movie reviewers look for the same things in movies as myself Posted Image.

Ebert's review was outstanding, might I add, as I just finished reading it 10 seconds ago.

#6 of 170 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,492 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 31 2005 - 05:17 AM

I'm not surprised Ebert liked it. Visually bold films always get good reviews from him.

#7 of 170 Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 05:29 AM

Robert Rodriguez on the Sin City DVD special features from JoBlo's interview:

Quote:
And then I'm gonna add on another…it'll be a twenty minute film school, probably for this one, cause there's so many things that - and I want another ten minute cooking school to be “Sin City Breakfast Tacos,” which I'll make a home-made flour tortilla, and it's the best meal you can probably ever learn, so yeah.

But...where's the "Ten Minute Fucking School"?! Posted Image
TAlex 700

#8 of 170 Roger_C

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 11:22 PM

I just caught the end of an interview on NPR this morning. They said an extended interview is on-line, but I haven't found it yet.

edit(Friday stories posted at 8:30 est)

#9 of 170 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,500 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 01 2005 - 12:11 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sin City" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Sin City" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 170 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted April 01 2005 - 02:10 AM

NPR:
Click me for the goods

Seeing it this afternoon, very excited.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#11 of 170 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 04:13 AM

Went to the midnight showing last night. Thankfully I got there about 40 minutes before the show, because to my surprise, it was sold out by the end, and the theater was packed tight. The film was of course incredible, and I will try to see it again later. Glad they're already thinking of making more, and the DVD will be mine as soon as it's released.

#12 of 170 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 06:46 AM

Also caught a midnight show and had a blast.

Carla Gugino. 'Nuff said.

I saw Jessica Alba on Letterman and she mentioned that in the novel, Nancy dances topless and bottomless (chaps only), and that it was up to her, but she thought it would be distracting. I agree, it would have been distracting. I would like to have been distracted.

No comeuppance for Michael Madsen's character?

One problem with the midnight crowd: college girls behind me making Frodo jokes.

#13 of 170 ShaunLB

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 06:47 AM

Oh man, that was a good flick. Visually incredibly, great acting, and innovative violence that keeps "mundane" gun and knife combat thrilling. More films could use this kind of life!

#14 of 170 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
So the DVD will come out with the theatrical cut, and then there'll be a separate disc that's got the individual episodes separated with their own title card, and you can just watch The Big Fat Kill from beginning to end, the full cut. That's a single story. Then switch over and watch The Yellow Bastard and that's forty five minutes. It'll have all the material back in. So it'll be like the experience of picking up the book

The DVD looks like it is going to be sweet. The theatrical cut plus all the stories as complete separate "short stories". Now those are going to be nice little "extras". Wow.

Looks like I'm going to be heading out to the theatre for this one.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#15 of 170 Mike.P

Mike.P

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 08:50 AM

Just got back a half hour ago from a mid afternoon screening.

What a blast, will probably go see it again sometime tonight.

Also, the DVD release sounds rediculous, will be awesome for watching the stories seperate when you don't have a lot of time/energy to watch the whole movie Posted Image.

#16 of 170 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 01:46 AM

I decided to skip the gym and go see this instead of waiting until sunday.

I think its RR best stuff to date. The Marv story was amazing(although I wish the scene when he goes home to get Gladys and his mother comes in was there) and I liked Yellow Bastard but I found Fat Kill to be disappoiting.And long. I dont think its RR fault thought, I never really cared for the story itself so thats probably why.Marv and Yellow Bastard flew by. Big Fat Kill dragged a bit.

Absolutely amazing how some of this stuff came right off the page, panel by panel. WOW

One thing I noticed and really liked was in the alley scenes, when someones shadow falls on bricks, it highlights the grout between the bricks, like the comic book. Very cool.

#17 of 170 Eric Meske

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 02:05 AM

Quote:
No comeuppance for Michael Madsen's character?

Ken,

If I remember right, he's involved in A Dame to Kill For as well.

#18 of 170 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 03:00 AM

Not being a comic-book person, I had barely even heard of Sin City before the movie buzz started, and I didn't know much of anything about it going in, aside from there being lots of over-the-top violence, deviance, etc. Wow, this is a great movie, just incredibly stylish and intoxicating to watch. The noir influences are obvious, but this is a whole world unto itself. A little heavy on the extreme crotch violence for my taste, but hey, I'm a big boy, I can handle it. Posted Image Really liked how all the stories came together, I wasn't sure whether to expect that or not, as there wasn't much of it until the last Bruce sequence.

Random thoughts on casting, and other things:

Some of the ROTK:EE extras talk about Elijah's legendary staring ability, which I assume they had in mind when they cast him. Very creepy to see this cannibalistic killer just fixing his gaze on people. But, as I mentioned once in the pre-release thread, I still think that when his face is cast in shadow, like when you first see him entering Marv's room, he looks like Tobey Maguire!

OK, there is no way that I'm the only one who thinks this: doesn't the Yellow Bastard bear a striking resemblence to Quark from Deep Space Nine?! The last sequence was very involving, I was certainly on the edge of my seat, but every now and then I just couldn't help but think, "Ahhh, it's Quark, come on, what's Quark gonna do?" Posted Image

The next quote is from Chuck Mayer in the review thread:

Quote:
The performances are almost excellent to a performer. I didn't like Aoki cast as Miho, and she did alright. Still, a role made for Zhang Ziyi Posted Image Aoki didn't have the supernatural grace Miho would have.

Yeah, I can agree with that. But if they couldn't get the (very much in demand) Zhang, how about some cross-casting with Tarantino, namely Chiaki Kuriyama? She (and obviously Zhang) certainly would have increased the "OMG these assholes are SOOOO dead" factor quite dramatically. Posted Image

Speaking of QT, Ebert's review says this regarding which scene was the one he directed:

Quote:
Tarantino...directed one brief scene on a day when Rodriquez was determined to wean him away from celluloid and lure him over the dark side of digital. (It's the scene in the car with Owen and Del Toro, who has a pistol stuck in his head.)

And speaking of digital, I don't think I even knew that this was all shot digitally--obviously there were lots of backdrops and effects that were done that way, but I didn't realize until I read Ebert's review afterwards that no film was involved at all. It looked incredible! This certainly seems like the kind of movie that can benefit from that treatment--wouldn't the post-production costs have been a lot higher if it had been on film? If it can look this good, and can be made cost-effectively with digital, then thumbs up on that technique from me.

#19 of 170 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 03:28 AM

OK, regarding Quark and Yellow Bastard:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alright, another serious point: I didn't recognize Rutger Hauer as Cardinal Roark during the movie, but thinking about it afterwards, isn't there a Bladerunner vibe here? Roark basically gets his face crushed by Marv, and in Bladerunner, it was Hauer as Roy Batty who did the face-crushing, in Tyrell's office.

#20 of 170 CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 03:52 AM

Saw this last night. Absolutley Incredible. I was riveted. I can't believe what a perfect representation of the books this film was. Can't wait for the DVDs. Posted Image Posted Image

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow