What's new

Doctor Who Star quits! (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
If they play their cards right, they could take advantage of this. Get a new Doctor every year or two to keep the show fresh! His regenerations are already an established fact of the series. So why not use it?

I can understand Eccleston's reasoning behind this. Too often, actors who have played in a science fiction show have a lot of difficulty finding work anywhere else. There's no easy way out of this trap aside from an early exit from the series. Still, it's too bad. Based on the first episode, he was definitely made for the part.

Maybe they can convince him to do a second season before moving on to other things. It'll add some stability to the series.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Twelve, but who cares. It's a writing device. And it's not as if Doctor Who hasn't broken its own rules from time to time. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Eh, cut him some slack. It's his first regular TV work in over a decade, and his first lead role in a TV series. I gather a lot of actors tend to be surprised by how exhausting that job is.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

Isn't that what typecast means?

He's not complaining that he'll spend the rest of his life getting jobs playing Doctor Who-type characters. He's complaining that he'll spend the rest of his life getting NO work because anyone who sees him can only think of him playing Doctor Who.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I, an average guy knows that TV work involves 14 hour days. If I know that, you would think he would.
And about the typcasting...shouldn't he have thought of that Before he took the role????

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Well the publicity from him doing 1 season gave his profile a boost. Free publicity for him and then by leaving strait away he (in his mind) is avoiding any Shatner or Tom baker situation.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Wrong, I'm afraid. He's a well-known actor in the UK and has had lead roles in quite a few successful TV dramas, plus of course he has had a perfectly respectable film career.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Ray said:

I agree, he would've known way beforehand the effects of playing the lead in the flagship franchise of the BBC. Plus everyone involved don't seem so shocked.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit

Not that it matters, but there was one episode that had a bunch of OTHER time lords stealing the 'Doctors extra lives, so they could regenerate. So, in theory, the Doctor could always get more lives for himself using the same method.

I say, "not that it matters" since its science-fiction: They can make up the "rules" as they go.

Nick

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
If they wanted him for more than a year, they should have signed him to a multi-year contract. Without that, he's under no obligation, literal or moral, to come back. Just as the producers would have been under no obligation to offer him a contract for a second year if they were unhappy with him.

Jasoda

Auditioning
Don, It was on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) last night and will be on next Tuesday at 8:00. I'm not sure if it will be the regular slot, but it should end up somewhere. I found it to be pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing more. Maybe I'm just used to Baker and the others, but they seemed to have more personality than the newbie. I'm sure he'll grow on me just like Sylvester did...

BTW, I live in the US, but I'm close enough to the border to get CBC on Comcast.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The guys at the BBc need to take a page from American TV and sign up stars for multi-year contracts, as Darrell said. Then they wouldn't have put up with this crap from Eccleston or Richard Coyle. There is no harm, no foul on a multi-year contract if the show isn't renewed, so why aren't they doing this?

It's not like it prevents the actors from seeking other work since British series are so much shorter than American seasons. I imagine most British actors would freak out if they had to work like cast from Desperate Housewives or Lost (which added shows to their seasons).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I said typecast as an unreliable employee, not as a Doctor-type character. Just a lame attempt to be funny. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks