Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Doctor Who Star quits!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 of 105 Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 04:26 AM

Sci-Fi Wire states that Christopher Eccleston has quit the title role of the BBC's new Doctor Who series after just one episode of the new series aired.

Talks are taking place to replace him with Casanova star David Tennant.

Here's the story...

http://www.scifi.com....ory=0&id=30754
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#2 of 105 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 07:01 AM

That was quick. How many regenerations does he have left?

#3 of 105 John Mansor

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 08:16 AM

Nothing like killing the buzz of a high rated first episode for a show on hiatus for 16 years.

#4 of 105 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 01:33 PM

If they play their cards right, they could take advantage of this. Get a new Doctor every year or two to keep the show fresh! His regenerations are already an established fact of the series. So why not use it?

I can understand Eccleston's reasoning behind this. Too often, actors who have played in a science fiction show have a lot of difficulty finding work anywhere else. There's no easy way out of this trap aside from an early exit from the series. Still, it's too bad. Based on the first episode, he was definitely made for the part.

Maybe they can convince him to do a second season before moving on to other things. It'll add some stability to the series.

#5 of 105 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,930 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 02:16 PM

I thought the Doctor only had a limited number of regenerations.

#6 of 105 PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 07:15 PM

Twelve, but who cares. It's a writing device. And it's not as if Doctor Who hasn't broken its own rules from time to time. Posted Image

#7 of 105 Don Peskin

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 02:19 AM

Anyone know if this show is going to be shown in the U.S.

#8 of 105 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,384 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 01 2005 - 06:48 AM

Maybe now he'll be typecast as an unreliable employee and have trouble finding any work.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 105 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 06:59 AM

Eh, cut him some slack. It's his first regular TV work in over a decade, and his first lead role in a TV series. I gather a lot of actors tend to be surprised by how exhausting that job is.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#10 of 105 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted April 01 2005 - 09:46 AM

Maybe now he'll be typecast as an unreliable employee and have trouble finding any work.

Isn't that what typecast means?

He's not complaining that he'll spend the rest of his life getting jobs playing Doctor Who-type characters. He's complaining that he'll spend the rest of his life getting NO work because anyone who sees him can only think of him playing Doctor Who.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#11 of 105 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 10:50 AM

I, an average guy knows that TV work involves 14 hour days. If I know that, you would think he would.
And about the typcasting...shouldn't he have thought of that Before he took the role????

#12 of 105 Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 03:03 AM

Well the publicity from him doing 1 season gave his profile a boost. Free publicity for him and then by leaving strait away he (in his mind) is avoiding any Shatner or Tom baker situation.

#13 of 105 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
It's his first regular TV work in over a decade, and his first lead role in a TV series.

Wrong, I'm afraid. He's a well-known actor in the UK and has had lead roles in quite a few successful TV dramas, plus of course he has had a perfectly respectable film career.

#14 of 105 Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted April 02 2005 - 07:03 AM

I suspect there's more to this story than what was released.

#15 of 105 Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 01:56 PM

Ray said:

Quote:
I suspect there's more to this story than what was released.

I agree, he would've known way beforehand the effects of playing the lead in the flagship franchise of the BBC. Plus everyone involved don't seem so shocked.

#16 of 105 Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 05:14 AM

Quote:
I thought the Doctor only had a limited number of regenerations.

Not that it matters, but there was one episode that had a bunch of OTHER time lords stealing the 'Doctors extra lives, so they could regenerate. So, in theory, the Doctor could always get more lives for himself using the same method.

I say, "not that it matters" since its science-fiction: They can make up the "rules" as they go.

Nick

#17 of 105 Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 08:16 AM

If they wanted him for more than a year, they should have signed him to a multi-year contract. Without that, he's under no obligation, literal or moral, to come back. Just as the producers would have been under no obligation to offer him a contract for a second year if they were unhappy with him.

#18 of 105 Jasoda

Jasoda

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 07:56 AM

Don, It was on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) last night and will be on next Tuesday at 8:00. I'm not sure if it will be the regular slot, but it should end up somewhere. I found it to be pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing more. Maybe I'm just used to Baker and the others, but they seemed to have more personality than the newbie. I'm sure he'll grow on me just like Sylvester did...

BTW, I live in the US, but I'm close enough to the border to get CBC on Comcast.

#19 of 105 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 10:43 AM

The guys at the BBc need to take a page from American TV and sign up stars for multi-year contracts, as Darrell said. Then they wouldn't have put up with this crap from Eccleston or Richard Coyle. There is no harm, no foul on a multi-year contract if the show isn't renewed, so why aren't they doing this?

It's not like it prevents the actors from seeking other work since British series are so much shorter than American seasons. I imagine most British actors would freak out if they had to work like cast from Desperate Housewives or Lost (which added shows to their seasons).
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#20 of 105 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,384 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 06 2005 - 04:52 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what typecast means?

I said typecast as an unreliable employee, not as a Doctor-type character. Just a lame attempt to be funny. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow