Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Astroboy - the complete series - how is it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 01:15 PM

I see that Astroboy the series is out. $50 CDN at BestBuy, 50 episodes. No Japanese soundtrack however!

The box says it has 20 episodes or so never seen before - well, that doesn't sound reassuring - are there more episodes?

And is the original Japanese version available? I have a feeling these are heavily edited episodes...

I did see this series on TV as a kid - but I would like the original versions if they exist.

I assume this version of Astroboy was given the Battle of the Planets treatment - story altered and edited for us dumb North Americans! :P

Any comments on this release?
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
I did see this series on TV as a kid

Unless you're still a kid, you're thinking of the wrong series. This is the NEW Astroboy series that just aired on Kids WB this past year. The set is fullscreen (should be wide) with English, Portuguese, Spanish audio (should have Japanese too, but doesn't).

http://www.sonypictu....ies/index.html
http://www.sonypictu...oboy/index.html

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 03:03 PM

Ok. So it is probably completely different eh? I saw it back in the very early 80's (1983?).

Damn.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 07:52 AM

There have been three different versions of Astro Boy throughout the years. The first came in the 60's, the next in the 80's (the one you likely remember) and then this newest incarnation from 2004.