Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rj6...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Gray

Gray

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 01:18 AM

I have a stupid question. When I started building my home theater, I ran coaxial cable to my celing where my projector is mounted. Since then, I have learned that there is no connection for coax. Can I put another cable end on the coax? Yes I am sure it won't be high quality but when superbowl or something comes on, it would be nice to watch it on the big screen...

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 02:44 AM

you can put a normal composite connection or you can run 2 more wires and run component. Just add the apprpriate amount of RCA plugs

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 03:35 AM

Hmmm.. The most common thing to do is to run many different types of connection to such a display.

Composite (Yucko!!) is the only connection that will use the single wire in that cable.

I suggest using it as a cable puller, and running everything, using it to pull the new cables, should be somewhat easy.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
Since then, I have learned that there is no connection for coax.
Sure there is – standard F connectors are the norm for coaxial cable. You can get screw-on adapters that will convert them to RCA.

That’s the easiest way – you can also solder RCA’s to coaxial cable, provided it you use the right cable and RCA connectors.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 11:16 AM

...or crimp on RCA or BNC ends, or...

The possibilities are endless. You can also get converters to-and-from SDI and run anything you want over that single cable, but at some point, the cost/benefit really gets screwed up. (A good SDI tranciever pair probably costs, what, $5000? More?)

Probably the best thing is to use it to pull another bundle through - if it's not doing anything like going through floor/ceiling joists.

Future-proofing is, for some reason, always harder than it should be...

Leo Kerr

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Gray

Gray

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 08:04 AM

Cable puller, that's pretty funny.I managed to run component video, s-video,and one composite to the projector. So I have the cables I need for the DVD player, PS2, and VCR. The problem is the coax splits behind the projector to the TV at the bar so the coax is staying. I can run a seperate coax behind the rear wall and into the VCR which has the composite running to the projector. I do have an s-video running from my audio rack to the projector. My reciever (Sony STRDB-840) has video inputs and outputs but I have never used them and I'm not real sure about the video switching on my reciever. I am concidering buying a video selector with all inputs and outputs. Do they make an inexpensive version I can program into my remote?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   scott>sau

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 02:21 PM

You can use three runs of RG6 to make your own Component video cable. Here is the link for the RCA fitting crimper: http://www.partsexpr....number=360-046
You could use red, green and blue electrical tape or shrink wrap tubing to ID the ends. You could use one run as yellow RCA composite for a front door, or baby monitoring cam.