Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rj6...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Gray

Gray

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 01:18 AM

I have a stupid question. When I started building my home theater, I ran coaxial cable to my celing where my projector is mounted. Since then, I have learned that there is no connection for coax. Can I put another cable end on the coax? Yes I am sure it won't be high quality but when superbowl or something comes on, it would be nice to watch it on the big screen...

#2 of 7 Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 02:44 AM

you can put a normal composite connection or you can run 2 more wires and run component. Just add the apprpriate amount of RCA plugs

#3 of 7 John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 03:35 AM

Hmmm.. The most common thing to do is to run many different types of connection to such a display.

Composite (Yucko!!) is the only connection that will use the single wire in that cable.

I suggest using it as a cable puller, and running everything, using it to pull the new cables, should be somewhat easy.

#4 of 7 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
Since then, I have learned that there is no connection for coax.
Sure there is – standard F connectors are the norm for coaxial cable. You can get screw-on adapters that will convert them to RCA.

That’s the easiest way – you can also solder RCA’s to coaxial cable, provided it you use the right cable and RCA connectors.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#5 of 7 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 11:16 AM

...or crimp on RCA or BNC ends, or...

The possibilities are endless. You can also get converters to-and-from SDI and run anything you want over that single cable, but at some point, the cost/benefit really gets screwed up. (A good SDI tranciever pair probably costs, what, $5000? More?)

Probably the best thing is to use it to pull another bundle through - if it's not doing anything like going through floor/ceiling joists.

Future-proofing is, for some reason, always harder than it should be...

Leo Kerr

#6 of 7 Gray

Gray

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 08:04 AM

Cable puller, that's pretty funny.I managed to run component video, s-video,and one composite to the projector. So I have the cables I need for the DVD player, PS2, and VCR. The problem is the coax splits behind the projector to the TV at the bar so the coax is staying. I can run a seperate coax behind the rear wall and into the VCR which has the composite running to the projector. I do have an s-video running from my audio rack to the projector. My reciever (Sony STRDB-840) has video inputs and outputs but I have never used them and I'm not real sure about the video switching on my reciever. I am concidering buying a video selector with all inputs and outputs. Do they make an inexpensive version I can program into my remote?

#7 of 7 scott>sau

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 02:21 PM

You can use three runs of RG6 to make your own Component video cable. Here is the link for the RCA fitting crimper: http://www.partsexpr....number=360-046
You could use red, green and blue electrical tape or shrink wrap tubing to ID the ends. You could use one run as yellow RCA composite for a front door, or baby monitoring cam.