What's new

? on HK AVR 335 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Craig KN

Auditioning
Does anyone own this receiver? I wanted to know if in the test tones for speaker calibration dos it also set the subwoofer. I read somewhere that they didn't set the subwoofer on the AVR 325. That you would need to do that with a dics. From what I can find, the AVR 325 uses the remote as the microphone for set up and the AVR 335 use a plug in mic. Also, does anyone know what the difference is between EZ setup on the AVR 325 and EZ+ Set up on the AVR 335? I know they also have an EZ EQ Setup which I assume also equalizes that is used on their more expensive models. I have emailed HK twice but so far have gotten no response. I couldn't seem to find the answer on their web site.
Thanks.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I don't own one but can lend a hand.

the 335 does NOT have the EX EQ setup. It just has EZset+.

I believe it does calibrate thesub though

Craig KN

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. Have you been happy with the AVR 335? It looks like a real nice receiver. Did the EZ+ Setup seem to work pretty good at setting yur speakers?
Thanks in advance.

RichardCK

Grip
I rellay like my 335. I replaced a Yamaha to run my 7 klipsch speakers. And the sound is amazing. The ezset works well but I did go in and turn each speaker up keeping the same settings.
When I bought it I auditioned a Denon and Onkyo at same price point, in home and liked th H/K best in my living room. I bought the matching dvd player too. The H/K is an easy sell to the wife too because of the pleasing looks.

Jose G

Supporting Actor

I wish! When my wife first saw my HK (note the my part), she said, "What's that!?" and made a grimace. I was hurt. I thought the thing was beautiful. And I'm still in love...with my wife, too! :D

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
na she likes the silver, and the styling of the HK. It just stands out among the rest instead of just another "black box".

But I do think the Denon2105/2805 is rather sexy ;)

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
you will be happy with with the 335....the EZ set does calibrate the sub as RichardCK stated...I very happy with mine (one month old) witch replaced an aging but trusty 110

I let EZ set do all of the "hard work" then I tweaked it after it was done...couldn't be happier...hope you get years of enjoyment out of yours

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I am trying to decide between the 335 and 435. I just keep wondering if I went with the 335 if I would regret missing out on the TI processor and the EQ. I do think the 335 looks nicer though. No flimsy door or anything

Jon Oliva

Agent
I am in the same boat - trying to decide between the HK 335 and the 435. At first I was confused and thought the 335 had the EQ, but best I can tell it just has the EzSet+.

From what I've read the advantages of the 435 over the 335 are:

435 vs 335

65w/ch vs 55w/ch
+/-40 amps vs +/-35 amps
One A/V port switchable to out vs none
3 x component inputs vs 2
Abus/RS232 vs not those
EzSetEQ vs EzSet+
Tex Inst DSP (from the AVR-635) vs Cirrus DSP
Logic7 - 96kHz vs Logic7
MP3/WMA decoding vs nope
Input tilting vs no, but what the heck is that?
A/V Synch delay vs not listed
HD radio capability vs no
Front door minimizing buttons vs more buttons on face

So that's what I've found out. It looks to me like the 435 is the same thing as the 635 minus some power: 75w, +/-50amps, a coax out switch, HDCO (???), and composite/s-video upconversion. I think I'm going to delay buying my surround speakers and get the 435. That said, the 335 is still a wonderful machine imho, although I would like to see a direct comparo between it and the Pioneer VSX-1014/1015.

I think the price difference (going by lowest-cost authorized dealers) is about $160. Not chump change, but to get what is a avr635-lite, it is worth it in my case. :)

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

I believe its input "titling", which means you can label or title your inputs. HK normally calls the inputs Video1, 2, 3, and 4. But on the 435 you can change it to TV, VCR, PS2, Dish, etc.

Jon Oliva

Agent

Haha, I feel kind of silly now. Thanks for the clarification, that makes much more sense. That's a neat feature...I'm surprised its not on every reciever.

Craig KN

Auditioning
I just ordered the HK AVR 435 Receiver from OneCall. I ask them for an opinion between that model and the new Pioneer 1015 which they sell for about $130.00 less. They had similar features but the Pioneer has a higher power rating. They said that the Piuoneer was over rated. I also ask about the quality issues I had read about. The reply I got back was they sold a real lot of HK's and have had no issues. They said that most all their people working there owned HK receivers. That the amp was much better than the Pioneer and was more natural sounding. Said that was an easy choice, go with HK. So I did. I hope I'm not disappointed. I like the features and everything about it. It just better be dependable.
I'll let you know when I receive it and get it all hooked up.

Jon Oliva

Agent
Craig - I hope you made a good choice...because I just placed my order for an HK AVR-435 last thursday :)

Regarding the quality issues - I asked the dealer I bought from about them, and I was told that most, if not all, of the problems seem to be with early run 635s (from his perspective), and the problems have ceased with newer production units. He has not had one 435 returned yet, and he's sold quite a bit of them since February. That was all I needed to hear to reasure me, so I also went with the 435.

Congrats on the purchase, I will also post my impressions when I get mine set up.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
"I ask them for an opinion between that model and the new Pioneer 1015 which they sell for about $130.00 less."

Craig,

Don't get me wrong. I love HK receivers. I have one and love it. I think they are very reliable and think the sound on it is great, but that sentence above (and I have heard that the folks at one call are great, too) is one that implies the sales group is simply trying to sell higher priced equipment. The other line that is always used is, "I have that same unit at home" or something along those lines (again, like the another line in your post). I've heard that about everything from receivers to olive oil. Not that you won't love your receiver or even that the statement is not true. I just think that the business is the business, selling is selling, profit is profit. From all the great raves about the Pio on this forum from all of these good folks, I can't imagine that it's not a great buy for the money, even though that HK will calib the sub and the Pio won't. Again, I love HK, I really do, and love the sound over most Onks, Yammies, Pios and even the Denons I've heard, but the fact is that that "most all their people working there owned HK receivers" line smells a little fishy. Maybe I'm over reacting to that line being thrown at me so many times in the past from folks I know were just swimming in crap. Again, I know you will love that receiver, I love HKs; I just hate that line from sales folks, and that's what I'm reacting to. Enjoy the HK. They do rock!

José

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks