Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Commentaries You'd Love To Hear, But Are Not Possible

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   Scott Temple

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 02:40 PM

Lately, I've been thinking of many of my favorite films that I'd like to hear a commentary on. Unfortunately, some of the stars of those films have since past on. For example, I think Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were two of the absolute best comedic geniuses that ever graced the silver screen. My favorite films of theirs include The Odd Couple (1968), Grumpy Old Men (1993), Grumpier Old Men (1995), Out To Sea (1997), and The Odd Couple II (1998). What a shame that they never got to record a commentary for their films. I imagine that it would have been a hilarious listen. The Grumpy tracks would probably have been full of "putzes" and "dickheads." Posted Image

As a major horror fan I regret that Anthony Perkins never got the chance to record commentaries for Psychos 1-4. He seemed like a really intelligent man and I would have loved to have heard his comments and experiences from the films and as being forever known as Norman Bates, one of the most popular horror psychos of all time.

A bit of Psycho II (1983) trivia from the IMDb

It's also quite unfortunate that Donald Pleasence never got to record commentaries for Halloweens 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. IMO, Dr. Loomis was the most important character (other than Michael Myers) in the Halloween series.
Lacey Chabert is so fetch!
My DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc library

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 03:22 PM

Jack Lemmon's commentary was included on the laserdisc edition of Glengarry GlenRoss. Too bad it wasn't included on the DVD version. Did we ever hear the reason it wasn't on the DVD?

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   Pat Frank

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 03:36 PM

Two words: Stanley Kubrick.
"We're gonna need a bigger screen..."

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 03:41 PM

Another two words: Alfred Hitchcock.

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 04:05 PM

You beat me to it, Craig. I'd love to hear a Hitchcock commentary on just about any of his films. Ric

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 04:38 PM

Ralph Bakshi on PJ's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Dick Donner on Lester's cut of Superman II. That weaselly on the Director's Cut of Daredevil. Hey, if nothing else, the entertainment value would be through the roof. Posted Image

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 05:06 PM

Abraham Lincoln on Ken Burns' The Civil War

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,405 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 05:13 PM

Wouldn't this thread be more interesting if it discussed commentaries still theoretically possible but extremely unlikely? Discussions of dead people aren't very interesting...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 05:31 PM

David Lynch: Dune
[c][/c]

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 05:33 PM

It would've been nice if Criterion had been able to convince Orson Welles to do a commentary for Citizen Kane, but he declined. Not only would it've been legendary in its own right, it would've been the first commentary track released on home video (or, at least, it would've tied with Ron Haver's track for Criterion's King Kong).

DJ

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor

• 566 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 09:32 PM

Good call, Scott, on the Lemmon/ Matthau pairing. Commentary involving those guys would have been great. They worked on alot of films together, and it's no doubt that they were good friends off screen (at least it appears that way). Lemmon recorded narration for the Criterion laserdisc of Some Like It Hot. Too bad it wasn't included with the MGM DVD. I just watched some of Sunset Boulevard the other day, and I think a commentary by Wilder, Swanson and Holden would have been interesting. Gloria Swanson is amazing in the movie, and it's unfortunate that she didn't win the Oscar. Unlikely narration- Spielberg on any of his films. It would be cool to hear the details behind the production of Jaws.
Pretty please, with sugar on top,
clean the f**king car.

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,694 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 27 2005 - 09:54 PM

Jesus on Monty Python's The Life of Brian

Michelangelo on The Agony and the Ecstacy ("when will you make an end?")

Ian Fleming on Die Another Day

HG Wells on Spielberg's War of the Worlds

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 11:38 PM

• Marlon Brando & Al Pacino on The Godfather.
  • William Wallace on Braveheart.
  • Shatner, Nimoy, & Kelley on any of the Star Trek movies or TOS episodes.
  • Tolkien on the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,575 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 11:49 PM

Roy William Neill/Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce on the Sherlock Holmes films Alfred Hitchcock (any of his films) Ronald Reagan (any of his Warner Brothers films, he was a great storyteller and he had worked with many of the great Warners stars at some point) Warner Oland & Keye Luke on their Charlie Chan films William Powell & Myrna Loy (any of their films)
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted March 28 2005 - 01:01 AM

Jean-Luc Godard and Raoul Coutard on

À Bout de Souffle
Le Mépris
Une Femme Est Une Femme
Pierrot Le Fou
and Weekend

Nice idea, but I think he'd probably have a nervous breakdown if he watched it. In the same way as he's turning in his grave right now...

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts

Posted March 28 2005 - 01:12 AM

"wow thats a dangerous looking stunt on the water wonder how they did that" "whats shockingly bad cgi??"

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted March 28 2005 - 01:37 AM

Philip K. Dick ~ Blade Runner (theatrical version)
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted March 28 2005 - 01:56 AM

Frank Oz, Scott Rudin, Paul Rudnick, Nicole Kidman and Bette Midler to tell us what really happened on The Stepford Wives .
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,694 posts

Posted March 28 2005 - 02:03 AM

Lassie on Lassie Come Home

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted March 28 2005 - 02:24 AM

Beetlejuice (Lester Green) on Bubble Boy or Scary Movie 2....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users