Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 3/29/05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:00 PM

I only stole a few coins. A petty thief. But you've killed hundreds and robbed whole domains. Who is wicked, you or I?
–Tatsuya Nakadai as Kagemusha (Kagemusha – 1980)
Posted Image

You can mourn and you can be very, very sorrowful, and at the same time you can go on with your life.
–Rudolph Giuliani (Nine Innings from Ground Zero – 2004)
Posted Image

The Weekly RoundUp

TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostco
**After the Sunset: Plat. Edition$19.56$15.99$15.99--
America’s Next Top Model: Cycle 1$27.29$32.99$34.99--
**Apollo 13: Anniversary Edition$16.09$15.99$13.99--
Astro Boy: Complete Series$37.46$44.99$39.99--
Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State$26.23$31.99$24.99--
Blind Horizon$24.28$24.99$19.99--
Blue Chips$11.24$9.99$12.99--
Closer (SuperBit)$20.26$16.99$15.99-$18.49
Combat #3: Operation 1$27.99$34.99$34.99--
Combat #3: Operation 2$27.99$34.99$34.99--
Crimson Rulers 2: Angels/Apocalypse$18.72$19.99$24.97--
Hustle$22.49$24.99$24.99--
Islands In The Stream$11.24$9.99$12.99--
Kagemusha (CC)$27.97$34.99$34.99--
Lady In A Cage$11.24$9.99$12.99--
The Lone Gunmen: Complete Series$27.99$32.99---
Murder, She Wrote: Season 1$34.99$34.99$39.99-$33.99
**Nat’l Lampoon’s GoldDiggers (R/NR)$23.38$19.99$19.99--
Nine Innings from Ground Zero$13.98$14.99$15.99--
Orgazmo SE (NR)$13.99$14.99$17.99--
Reverse of the Curse of the Bambino$13.98$14.99$15.99--
The Saint: Early Episodes Set #1$44.96$59.99$49.99--
Salon Kitty$20.97$24.99---
A Tale of Two Sisters$18.74$19.99---
Twilight Zone: Season 2 (Definitive Ed.)$69.99$103.99$99.99--
Vera Drake$19.56$19.99$19.99--
Wind in the Willows: Complete Series$20.96$23.99$22.99-$18.49

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including (or the ones Dave tells me he's looking for ;o)). In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. So, please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave & I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the standard Roundup: they set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. When it comes to Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Mileage May Vary".

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! After the Sunset AND Apollo 13 AND National Lampoon’s GoldDiggersare available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one! In fact, there will be FOUR DIFFERENT VERSIONS of National Lampoon’s GoldDiggers on store shelves: WS ®, WS (NR), FF ®, & FF (NR)!

--Amazon is still featuring free shipping on orders over $25. Restrictions apply.

--My Target sources tell me that Target will NOT have a Sunday flyer this week (which explains why I could not find one through my usual means). So, unfortunately, no Target prices in this week’s RoundUp…although I may be receiving advance notice sometime on Monday.

--Best Buy is offering a FREE SNEAK PEEK DVD of “Frank Miller’s Sin City” Instantly, with any entertainment software purchase. Exclusively at Best Buy! Includes scenes from the movie plus a never-before-seen featurette with Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino. Sin City in theaters 4/1/05 starring Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke and Benicio Del Toro. In store only. Minimum 100 per store. No rainchecks.

--K-Mart is advertising the lowest price on Apollo 13 this week ($12.99). Also, $19.99 on After the Sunset and "Low Price" on Closer.

-------------------------

And now a word from our sponsor….

If anyone who reads the RoundUp is not aware of this, running the HTF is not free for Parker and Ron. That is why there is advertising throughout the forum and there has been the occasional membership fund drive. I’m sure I don’t need to remind you folks of all the different reasons we benefit from keeping the USS HTF afloat. But, you might not be aware…THERE IS AN EASY WAY FOR YOU TO HELP!

According to Ron & Parker, many members enter the HTF through the index page or by clicking their own shortcut directly into a favorite forum. If members would simply link to the Portal Page when they start their visit to the HTF, that act alone would bring revenue to the forum. While it would also be nice if you wanted to click on some of the advertisers’ links and check out their deals and sales (that form of “window shopping” would bring even more revenue to the forum), the simple act of landing on the portal page registers a “hit” or “impression” that creates revenue for the HTF.

I was unaware of this until recently and have since changed my desktop shortcuts on the different computers I use to link to the Portal Page. I bet doing that over the past week or so has resulted in several dozen more “hits” from me alone. And, I thought I would pass along my newly-gained knowledge to anyone else who might not know the score.

So, if you want to help out, its easy…and will help keep the HTF in business.

-------------------------

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: March 29, 2005 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report this week.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 56 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,845 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:00 PM

Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$17.99:
Ray

$7.49 each:
Menace II Society
Coming to America
The Pianist
Rain Man
Last of the Mohicans
Lethal Weapon
The Princess Bride
Lethal Weapon 4
Player's Club
Conspiracy Theory
Speed
Training Day
Platoon
Message in a Bottle
Y Tu Mama Tambien

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$19.99:
Fat Albert

$16.99:
Napoleon Dynamite

2 for $15 (must buy in pairs)
My Cousin Vinny
Edward Scissorhands
Last of the Mohicans
Where the Heart Is
Boondock Saints
Raising Arizona
Night at the Roxbury
My Girl
The Quick and the Dead
Big Chill
Cruel Intentions
Hook
Maid in Mahhattan
Anger Management
Charlie's Angel
Breakin' all the Rules
A.I.
Road to Perdition
Notting Hill
Erin Brochovich
Family Man
Gia
Pelican Brief
Demolition Man
Menace II Society
Blade Runner
Space Cowboys
Training Day
What a Girl Wants
Vegas Vacation
Payback
Days of Thunder
Coming to America
Van Wilder
Glengary GlenRoss
Resevoir Dogs
Belly
Wonderland
Kids
Truman Show
Saint
Barbershop
Barbershop 2
To Live & Die in LA
Summer School
Urban School
Staying Alive
Major League
Orange County
Zoolander
Save the Last Dance
Ladies Man
Time to Kill
Arthur
Excalibur
Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Lethal Weapon 3
The Cell
Romeo Must Die
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 56 OFFLINE   Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:06 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like a light week for me...

#4 of 56 OFFLINE   MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:07 PM

Thank you, as usual.

Lone Gunmen
Apollo 13

I will more than likely pick up Hook and The Truman Show at Best Buy, not only to bask in the glow of the 2 for $15 deal, but to also get my hands on a copy of the Sin City DVD...

#5 of 56 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:10 PM

Huge week for me this week,

Combat: Season Three- Operations One and Two
Lady In A Cage
The Lone Gunmen: Season One
The Twilight Zone: Season Two

And depending if I can sell some plasma, I may pick up Closer and Orgazmo. Posted Image

#6 of 56 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:11 PM

Thanks, as always, guys. Twilight Zone S2, Orgazmo, and Lone Gunmen are the definites for me this week.

I've never heard of Nine Innings From Ground Zero, but the short description of it at Amazon is a bit intriguing. I may have to research that one a bit more and consider it. Anyone see it and wanna offer an opinion? Posted Image

#7 of 56 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:16 PM

Happy birthday a day late, Scott_J!

BTW, gang....I made two trips to Target, one to Circuit City and one to Best Buy this week for Finding Neverland. Came up enpty all four times!

Is FN the best-selling DVD of all time? The empty display at Best Buy was huge! All I found at Target and Circuit City were a handful of full-frame copies!

I actually had to get a rain check at CC to secure the release week price of $14.99. I have never done that before!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#8 of 56 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, Mike. Just 16 minutes late (by the time on your post). Appreciate it.

I actually some some copies of FN at Wal-Mart today (both FS and WS IIRC but I wasn't paying much attention since I wasn't interested in that one) while searching for a couple other things.

#9 of 56 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 04:25 PM

Just Apollo 13 for me.

#10 of 56 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Mike.

So-so week for me:

Apollo 13 (pending verification of improved picture)
Twilight Zone season 2

It's too bad that High Anxiety got postponed, as it was supposed to be out this week. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 56 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 05:27 PM

Wow, great price on Twilight Zone Season 2 at Best Buy -- charging several dollars more than MSRP for it. Posted Image I sure hope that gets corrected; I can't wait the extra day or two to get this from an e-tailer, and BB (along with usually high-priced Borders) is the only B&M I can think of that actually stocks this in my area.

Only other title I'll be picking up this week is Apollo 13.

#12 of 56 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 05:30 PM

I'm with you, Dane... But man, if it's gonna cost that much at retail, I'm gonna have to order it online... which means I'll get it late... which means I won't sleep at night...

#13 of 56 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,593 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 26 2005 - 05:48 PM

Nothing for me this week, and it seems like the whole month of April will be this way. But in May that will change. It will also give me a chance to save up for the Freaks and Geeks yearbook.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#14 of 56 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 06:21 PM

Interesting.... CC refused me a rain check on Clone Wars last week....

#15 of 56 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 26 2005 - 07:21 PM

circuit city normally hasnt done rain checks in the recent past.
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 56 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 09:37 PM

K-Mart has Apollo 13 for $12.99 a Dollar Cheaper then CC see link please. http://kmart.crossme....8&pagenumber=7

#17 of 56 OFFLINE   Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 10:58 PM

Slow week this week, with only Apollo 13 being the only title I might get, unless I see something else I need. Thanks anyway for the round up Mike.
I need a new signature.

#18 of 56 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 11:32 PM

Coconuts.com has a good price on Twilight Zone season 2: $65. And there's a $10 mail in rebate to knock it down to $55.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#19 of 56 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 27 2005 - 12:03 AM

Don beat me to it. Am adding to the RoundUp that K-Mart is advertising:

Apollo 13: $12.99
After the Sunset: $19.99
Closer: Low Price

#20 of 56 OFFLINE   Don_Limey

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 01:52 AM

This week for me only 2 movies which I have been waiting for years to come out on DVD & they are both finally here.

Blue Chips & Orgazmo SE (NR)

Thanks again Mike.