What's new

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Merger Possible? (1 Viewer)

John C

Stunt Coordinator
This could be BIG news. The Digital Bits just reported that officials within the Blu-Ray camp have said that they may be interested in merging their technology with HD-DVD. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Would such a compromise be possible without watering down the potential quality of a merged format, I wonder. Imagine a true HD-DVD system incorporating the HD-DVD processors and codecs along with Blu-Ray's higher capacity disks? Doable? I hope so! A format war must be avoided!

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
With both formats so close to launch, they'd basically have to scrap both version 1.0 specs and start from scratch. That would definately be the best thing for consumers, and for the industry in the long run. However, the studios that have a pretty signifigant slate of HD-DVD titles planned for launch in Q4 2005, might not be very happy.

But screw them. Let's hope the HD-DVD forum and Blu-Ray can come together and make us one, ultimate HD disc format.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
That would be freaking great!!! Lets hope it works out that way.... But for some reason I don't see it happening this far along in the game..... But one never knows...

I hope it happens....

Maybe we should start a petition and get some pretty hefty numbers on it and send it to both camps letting them know how the nitche market feels about this merger..!!!! Just a thought...

R~

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If it would help, I'd sign that petition in a minute. One format = sale, 2 formats = NO sale. Simple as that.

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
This sounds like Sony trying to seem like the good guy over HD-DVD. Blu-Ray DVD required that brand new manufacturing equipment be made to produce blu-ray. It seems that if there were a merger that discs would still be released on blu-ray but would support more codecs or some tech speak that would make them both work;)
If Sony let in on a merger it would seem like a much greater loss for them. Maybe Sony is finally seeing a huge financial loss in the future if they do not work out some kind of compramise soon.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
As I stated in another thread, it's not a format war until the discs hits the shelves and that there is plenty of time to merge. Hey, atleast I can say I saw it comming...;)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Sony's economic woes may be behind this. They have been bleeding money for several years now and may realize they don't have the luxury any longer of the type of corporate arrogance which they formerly displayed - when they could afford to.

I notice that they seem to be excluding the gaming division in some way, which may suggest that they will focus the Blue_ray in that area exclusively. If so, it's an interesting strategy.

On a more sour note, I cant help but think this may delay the whole thing again, however. Any kind of merger talk will likely cause everyone to step back a bit from releasing anything; software or hardware. Ironically, those first to the plate could end up coming out with the first and only generation of current spec HD DVD players only to see the whole thing tanked by a new combo meal!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I really wouldn't call this a merger.

1997 = SD
2006 = HD
2011? = BluRay

This could really suck the big one! :)

Glenn

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I agree. Obviously, they are worried. They must be very concerned that more marketable, cost-effective HD-DVD is on the verge of getting the "drop" on BR making it harder for them.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
I just hope that, when all is said and done, we have a true 1080p HD format, without compression artifacts and true lossless audio. Blu-Ray seemed more likely IMHO to offer this promise. HD has to really blow standard DVD out of the water quality-wise or else nobody is really going to care. Most people consider DVD good enough as-is.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

What are the economic woes from exactly? Is it from failed plans like Minidisc and other things or what exactly?

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
The most recent, specific example is Sony's inability to maintain any momentum with their 'walkman' products - it used to be the McDonalds of all things mini that played music - now this little called 'ipod' has devasted Sony's market dominance in this area. Whether you bought sony, panasonic, jvc, you bought a 'walkman' when you bought a portable cd player. When was the last time you heard someone say they were going to buy a walkman of any kind. Sony was asleep at the switch and the last two years have seen them pay for it in increasing losses in both dollars and market share (I still invest in Sony because they got it right with gaming).

Minidisc is still quite big in asia and europe, but never took off in North America, just as SACD is a total market dud from an economic perspective. In retrspect, Sony must see the folly of their decisions regarding Betamax, assuming that because it was better (it was) therefore the customer would want it and would pay more for it. Wrong then, and it would seem the new leadership may sense that along with SACD, Blu-ray is the next beta max.

Sony has initiated far too many niche products in a market driven by mass marketing to consumers who are largely ignorant about the merits of any one specific thing - aka widescreen vs full screen. People still dont get it, but they know the difference between a VHS picture and a DVD one, and DVD "looks pretty."

In today's market, blu ray just doesnt stand a chance as a stand alone format - nor, I suspect does HD-DVD. Apple's coming on board just means universities will have higher storage capacity and graphic artists will like it - they dont pay the bills. Collaboration with hi-def TV OEM's, studios and audio manufacturers will ensure a splash in the consumer's mind set this fall. Competition not only muddies the field in hi-def, it essentially makes for THREE DVD formats...congrats to Sony for doing the math. I suspect HD-DVD proponents have been busy with their own calculators. Should be an interesting fall.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Thanks Peter for clearing that up. As an owner of an ipod, and a walkman from the early 90's, I understand better now. Now that you refreshed my memory of all the products of Sony, now I have a better understanding.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Josh, Sony is buried under a mountain of debt, primarily from it's acquisition of the movie studios it owns. The debt burden is the main reason behind the fact that Sony products cost a bit more than similar products from other brands. After losing market share to newer products like the iPod, Sony can see itself sinking in this new DVD format war. I guess the new CEO sees the writing on the wall. :frowning:

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
This could potentially be great news. I don't know how a merger would work though. They are two different technologies. I really don't see how they can be combined. Both technologies are said to use the same codecs, so the only real difference is the physical structure. Maybe what they mean is that they are finally going to submit Blu-Ray as a candidate for HD-DVD specification. I think the other manufacturers already have to much invested in HD-DVD, to agree to that, but anything is possible. We'll see how it works out.

I didn't hear about a new CEO at Sony! Anyone got the scoop on that?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Whatever one thinks, it seems clear that Sony's corporate eye has blinked. Advantage: Toshiba, the DVD Forum, and HD DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks