What's new

The Best portable game unit of all. (1 Viewer)

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Just returned from Best Buy with just my basic PSP unit, cause of income right now. And just so I have one.

I was asking people what portable unit was best of all. Most have to say the GAMEBOY SP

Why because people say its comact, has a closing cover, plays ALL games and the rechargable battery lasts.

No one had a say in the PSP yet but the battery may have a drawback with the power it needs to run movie music or games.

RichardK

Second Unit
I agree, the GBA SP is pretty slick. the portability, durability, game library and all make it pretty tough in the argument. Those comments come from a 31yr old. And since I am 31yrs old, I prefer something a little more 'adult'. In that vein, the PSP will be number one in my book for now.

-Richard

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, Richard, I'm 62 years old so I'd have to say that I like my PSP twice as much as you do.

:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, up until this point most of my handheld experiences have been with my grandkids' various units (Gameboy Advance, et. al.) whenever I could pry these items from their little hands. This time around, with the PSP, I decided to take a chance and pre-ordered one when it was first announced. In the few hours that I've been using it I must say that it is extremely impressive for a handheld. The games will come (I got 4 games to start: Twisted Metal, Lumines, Untold Legends and Spider-man 2 to have a wide variety) and I'll probably buy that battery pack/case when it comes out to tackle the power situation.)

So many toys, so little time.

:D

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your kind comments.

Im hoping for some Wrestling games, and StarWars games. For the PSP

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I like the SP alot - I still don't see a reason to get a DS. I'm waiting for my PSP to get here (c'mon UPS!) I think it's got the possibility to dominate the handheld market, but for now, the SP has the game selection.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
POST(en)MAN!!

Definitely! Of course, I'll bring along one of my grandsons to do battle. Limberness of youth and all that, y'know!

:laugh: :laugh:

I imagine that Morgan will be the GameMaster, right?

:D

This PSP is impressing me more and more as I use it. We've come a long way from PONG, eh?

;)

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again everyone for the comments
Here is my list of portable gaming systems from best to worst

1.PSP(battery life not proven yet)
2.Gameboy SP
3.Nintendo DS
4.Gameboy Pocket
5.Vectrex
6.Microvision
7.Sega Game Gear/Gameboy Advance
8.Gameboy Colour
9.Sega Gamegear/Atari Lynx/ Geo Pocket colour
10.Turboexpress/Sega Nomad(cause of Battery life)portability.
11.Original Gameboy/that binoculars Nintendo system thingee.

Dylan-M

Auditioning
Virtual Boy! Yeah that was bad.

The PSP had an AMAZING launch, not one game out of the bunch I didn't want to try. It definetely impressed me with it's quality, but hell it feels fragile and I don't want to drop it.

GBA SP is definetly second best. First portable gaming unit with light, 1000+ games including two Final Fantasies... you cant go wrong with either.

Brian E

Screenwriter
This is kinda where I'm at with the DS too. Can't convince myself I need one to replace my SP. :)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
no, the SP was the first GBA with light. The turbografx portable, the game hear, and Atari Lynx all had backlights almost 15 years ago.

Dylan-M

Auditioning
oh sorry , thats what i meant ...

but it is definetly great especially since it hasn't been seen since that long ago. Ever try playing a normal GBA at night? Yikes.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't rank the GBA that low. I put an afterburner in mine, and it pretty much rocked. IMHO, it's almost as good as the SP - obviously since the games are the same.

ANd I actually really like the lynx. With the exception of battery life, it rocked. Afterburner on it was amazing for the day and age.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The Vectrex? Can you really consider that thing a portable? I remember playing with one of those in CA but in 82 or 83 when I was just 10 years old. They had about 20 of them in the middle of the mall.

This was around the same time that the Atari 5200 came out.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking High and low for Vectrex accessories at flea markets etc......
My only controller isn't functioning properly, and only ever had 1 game. Don't want to buy over internet.

Yeah Gameboy sp is the very first lit game of this era. My turboexpress and Nomad are too from the late 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks