What's new

***Official PSP Post-Release Discussion and Review Thread Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Figured we would start fresh on the PSP as we're hours away from its release. This is really a continuation of the previous thread but folks looking for new user info, reviews, and complaints won't need to search through the pre-launch discussion. Have at 'er.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah alot of folks will be out about now standing in line to get one so the impressions will be coming soon. I lucked out I was one outside the preorder list for tommorrows launch, lucky for me the EB's had some cancellations and I'm getting My PSP tommorrow, I'll pick it on my Lunch break. It'll be hard going back to work. I already bought Ridge Racers, Lumines, Gretsky, Wipeout and Twisted Metal so I'm covered fro games and I have MLB 2006 on preorder. I also been converting a bunch of movies and TVshows and have a 512 Pro Duo ready to fill. Want a 1 gigger but they're hard to come by.

Look forward to all the Impressions to come !

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Got mine at an EB midnight sale. It's almost exactly as I expected. The only surprise to me was that the headphones are actually pretty good for earbuds.

-Spider-Man 2 (the movie) is "formatted to fit this screen," as I mentioned before. P&S, it looks like, not open matte.

-Lumines puts a death grip on those who dare to start playing. It is hypnotic.

-Ridge Racer is Ridge Racer, except portable.

-Man I'd love to see Virtua Fighter be Virtua Fighter, except portable.

-Does anyone here actually plan to buy UMD movies? How about anyone in the world?

-I get the feeling that everything Sony Corporation does is aimed at selling Memory Sticks.

-Oh well, the PSP is a marvel anyway.

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
I held one of these bad boys a couple days ago when my work got them in (only one case which is 10 units). It truely is a work of art. Too bad I'm broke from recently buying an iPod. My new temporary credit card keeps calling out to me.....Must.Resist.

I was surprised no one was standing outside waiting when I left work this morning. We had a line when the PS2 came out.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

That's what cubicles are for. ;)

[quote[I also been converting a bunch of movies and TVshows...[/quote]
I didn't realize you could burn your own - thought it was a proprietary video format.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Jay I was speaking on Converting to Store on my Memory stick you cannot as of yet burn on UMD's

I would consider buying a movie on PSP (In the right Aspect ratio( if Sony was pricing these at below a $9.95 list price. As it is they are too expensive. I'd take the resolution hit by putting it on a Memory Stick instead.

RichardK

Second Unit
I bought mine this morning (12am) at Walmart..There were 10 other people along side me. The line(albeit small) started at 11pm. I picked up Wipeout also. I'm at work now so I havent had a chance to even open mine up yet. I plan to try and convert movies and store. I wont buy movies unless they are

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Got my US one last night. Nothing new except I can FINALLY use the X key for "Enter" instead of O. That was driving me batty!

Spider-Man 2 looks damn good on it. There's no way in hell I'd ever buy UMD movies when I could get a memory stick and rip/encode it myself from a DVD. I mean it IS mine and I'm not sharing it, so really, who's getting hurt? Besides, movies on the PSP are more for a distraction than to actually sit and WATCH a movie on the thing. You have to hold it the whole time, it's not really the most practical way to watch a movie. A nice option for those who would like to do it that way.

US and J versions of Lumines and RR don't talk to each other in AdHoc play :frowning:.

Get the $9 Pelican cover. Now. Leave. Go.

Mike

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I picked one up last night at midnight at Wal-Mart. About 7 people besides me waiting in line (I got there at 5 to midnight). I haven't even opened it yet. Since I hear so much about dead pixels, and Wal-Mart doesn't offer extended no-questions asked warranties, I figured I try to pick one up at Best Buy or Circuit City today w/ warranty. The Wal-Mart purchase was just a backup in case I can't find one anywhere else. I was probably being too cautious. We'll see. I bought Twisted Metal Black. They didn't have Untold Legends or Lumines.

RichardK

Second Unit
Question for all...Besides here, where are others gathering to discuss the PSP? You guys are great and all, but I need some alternate resources. Preferably with reliable information, and not with kids bi*ching and moaning at that place. Ok, maybe there isnt such a place... either way please advise.

Thanks,
R

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah there's alot of talk of Dead Pixels I get mine in a few hours and hope I'm lucky. Sony has said they won't warranty dead pixels. EB has said their extended Warrantee won't cover it if sony does'nt.

As for Movies the only downside to Converting movies to Memory stick is that you won't be able to run them in the same resolution the UMD is playing at which is 472x268. Most likely the best you can accomplish on stick is 320x240 or 368x208

PerryD

Supporting Actor
My PSP is charging up. I'm starting to regret not picking up the 1 year warranty at EBgames for $25, the sales guy pretty much said just bring in the unit in a year and we'll give you new one. I'm sure no matter how careful I am, there will be scuffs on the screen and a fresh battery would be good to have in a year. But, I go by the adage that if it's too good to be true..., so I passed. I wonder if his manager knows (or recommends) that he's telling people that. Everybody else in line got the warranty.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought myself the PSP basic. Only AC/Battery, and case.
I'm thinking this will be like the NOkia Ngage and Gameboys galore. Wait a few years and they'll come out with the same unit but a glare screen thingee, a cover for the screen, something for the battery to last longer etc....

Im not into buying UMD movies and don't understand how to convert movies but can use as an IPOD almost, and looooooooove the PS1 games so this portable gaming will hit me well.

The only other package was for $399 you get Spiderman movie, Twisted Metal, Gretzky and Ape Escape, plus a demo disc. Im very broke so couldn't afford the package. I want some games though. I hope for a WWE Wrestling game and Ridge Racer if any copies left.

Hey I got one of those too in my box. Right now only charging the battery. Hope the battery lasts longer than my parents video camera battery. It sure looks similar though.

from a Portable gaming collector fan

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I read countless articles on the PSP. Saw thousands of pictures of it. Saw movies and videos about the PSP and showing it in action. Saw the comparison on how big the PSP is. I pretty much knew, going into launch, everything about the PSP.

And yet, nothing prepared me for how GORGEOUS this thing is. The screen is amazing...the system iteslf is definitely smaller than I thought...hell, Spider-Man 2 is great looking on it. All my media on my 1 GB stick looks and plays fantastic on it. Wow.

I played it a bit in college today, and I had about 5 people walk up to me to ask about it. Its amazing.

I do have 2 dead pixels, but its not the end of the world. I can live with it.

The PSP is so beautiful... *sniff*

Also, here is a FANTASTIC place by Sony to download movies to your PSP:

http://www.connect.com/psp/

RichardK

Second Unit
Follow up to my earlier post. I opened mine during lunch and had a chance to do a couple of things...
First impression...Damn!!! This is ridiculously sweet looking, it feels amazing, screen is NICE... (no dead pixels for me). Date and Time set up, unit nickname, pretty quick and simple...I connected to my wireless router, easy to do except I had to manually enter the super long WEP key...been nice to have the key generator tool to speed that up. I have a minor concern about the rubbery/plastic cover for the memory stick slot. Hope that stands the test of time. Mine was charged about 20%. I formatted my memory stick and the uploaded some .jpegs. This was easy, just make sure you go to USB connection mode on the PSP to get it be recognized by your PC. Uploaded the pics to the photo folder nice and quick w/USB 2.0 link. My pics show up as 4:3 ratio on the screen, but they look great!!! For some reason I couldnt work them in a slideshow, maybe i need to load directly from my digital camera (it's a Sony as well). Anyhow, I havent watched a movie yet or played a game (or listened to music on it) so as you can see, the PSP is already going to consume me!!!! I'll post more as time goes on.
If you dont have yours yet, I feel for you!!! :D Ps. The manual is still closed..RTFM comes later for me.

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
I am suprised by how bad these things are selling in my area. I picked mine up at midnight at Wally World and only had one other person there with me. I went back in today to pick up Ridge Racer and the guy at the counter said they have only sold four units. My local Target got 80 units in and they haven't sold a single one! That's too bad because this screen is just gorgeous!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I walked right in to Toys R Us with no hope of getting one, wasnt really thinking about it since I just bought an Ipod. They had tons of em, I walked out with the kit and 2 games. It looks Swwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Sam

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'm considering picking one up after work. One of the main uses I would have for it would be watching movies while traveling. Doing so would require purchasing a memory stick (as I won't pay $20.00 for a no-frills DVD I already own), however, I'm unclear regarding how many titles I could fit onto a 512MB or 1GB memory card. I realize that the storage options will change as a function of image and sound quality, but can anyone tell me, on average, how many typical 90 minute movies you can fit onto either stick?

Thanks!

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Picked up mine at 12:15am this morning. Got home, unpacked everything and played Spider-Man 2; needless to say, I was in awe at what I saw. A few minutes into the movie, I decided to stop it because the dead pixels (all four, located on the left half of the screen) were taking away from my enjoyment of the film. :angry: Took out the movie UMD and played the demo UMD; watched a few music videos and packed everything back up. Went to sleep, got up for the Best Buy line at 8:00. Arrived 5 minutes before the store opened; got ticket #12. Went in and picked up "Ridge Racer" (second-to-last copy) and "Lumines", paid and left the store (had roughly 80-100 Value Packs on the floor). Waited for Gamestop to open at 10:00 to see if I could exchange my unit; the CSR had to contact other locations around town to see if anyone had stock. Went back to Best Buy to pick up the Datel USB Cable w/ Media Manager; all of the Value Packs were gone. Arrived at work; checked my phone messages. Gamestop called; my replacement unit will arrive at 2:00. Leaving work in a few minutes to make my exchange; keeping fingers crossed.

That was my day in a nutshell. How was yours? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks