-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Cosby Show - Season 1 Announced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
201 replies to this topic

#1 of 202 Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 11:07 AM

Ventura Entertainment, via their UrbanWorks Entertainment label, has snagged DVD distribution rights to The Cosby Show. The first full season is due on August 2nd with bonus features yet to be finalized.

The distribution deal also gives Ventura the right to release all six seasons of the spin-off series A Different World. That series is due to hit disc next January.

#2 of 202 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted March 23 2005 - 12:53 PM

For those of you interested, read the complete press release about this in my news story here.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 202 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,147 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 23 2005 - 03:35 PM

As long as it's uncut, I'm happy.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#4 of 202 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 05 2005 - 11:25 AM

does anybody know what extras Urbanworks has planned for this set? It's a childhood favorite and the first 2 seasons are definately going into my collection (each season afterwards declined a little further from the previous, except for season 6 which I felt was the best year since season 3 imo)

#5 of 202 Antonio_G

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 02:52 AM

I'm glad that The Cosby Show is finally coming to tv box set and I will have to pick up this one to add to my collection...

#6 of 202 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted June 22 2005 - 10:20 AM

I noticed listings on Amazon that make it seem as though these are, in addition to the season box set, being released individually as well:

Eps 1-8
Eps 9-16
Eps 17-24

#7 of 202 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted June 22 2005 - 10:27 AM

I'm wondering how a 3rd tier distributor like Ventura got the rights to this series. Is the Cosby show SO out of date that the major studios didn't want to release it?

It seems odd that a distributor best known for bad direct to video film and Ultimate Fighting collections would net the gig to produce and release one fo the top sitcoms of all time. Granted they did do "Highway to Heaven"- but seems odd that the Cosby property didn't go to someone bigger, heck even Rhino.

Maybe Ventura had an existing relationship (or a financial tie) to Bill Cosby, as they released some of the Fat Albert stuff to DVD...

Hmmmph.
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#8 of 202 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,147 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 22 2005 - 12:19 PM

And they seem to have screwed up with Fat Albert and Highway to Heaven. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#9 of 202 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 22 2005 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
Granted they did do "Highway to Heaven"- but seems odd that the Cosby property didn't go to someone bigger, heck even Rhino.

Highway to Heaven is A&E.

I think it probably had something to do with the Urbanworks line, and then also have Fat Albert. I know I was shocked as well, especially since I know some of the other companies who wanted the title.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#10 of 202 StacyV

StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted June 23 2005 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
Is the Cosby show SO out of date that the major studios didn't want to release it?

Maybe Ventura had an existing relationship (or a financial tie) to Bill Cosby, as they released some of the Fat Albert stuff to DVD...

Not sure if this link works anymore, it's not working for me at the moment, but I copied the relevant part of the article when I found it online months ago.

http://www.dvdexclus...DVDX-TVAnni.pdf.

UrbanWorks Entertainment president Jeff Clanagan says that while his personal taste leads him toward more current TV fare, his bottom line can’t let him forget the past. “We know the fans [of old TV shows] are out there,” he says. TV DVDs make up about a quarter of UrbanWorks’ home entertainment business. Clanagan is counting on seminal ’70s cartoon
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids to make its mark on the company’s balance sheet. He hints that securing the DVD rights to Fat Albert from U.K.-based Entertainment Rights was helped by his existing relationship with creator Bill Cosby, adding that UrbanWorks’ expertise in marketing urban product gave the company an edge over more well-monied DVD bidders.

#11 of 202 Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 04:05 PM

The episodes are syndicated prints (same as TBS, WGN, and locals). Our (SitcomsOnline.com) review of the set is coming tomorrow.

#12 of 202 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 04:55 PM

and Urbanworks is charging $49.99 retail for this? I love The Cosby Show, it brings back childhood memories, but I'll hold off on this in case the backlash will cause them to sell it for cheap, like they did Alf season one. I hope Urbanworks hears the outcries and restores seasons 2-8 and A Different World to it's original uncut version

#13 of 202 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 05:42 PM

I think I'll pass, in that case.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#14 of 202 John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 05:43 PM

Pavan...are you serious? Wow...that is just terrible. I was really looking forward to seeing the original NBC versions of the TCS episodes, as I have seen the syndication prints countless times. I probably won't even buy this now. It would be a waste of money, since I can see the same versions of the eps on multiple TV stations. Un-freakin'-believable...

If Roseanne is edited, I will be nothing short of furious...

#15 of 202 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 05:52 PM

With Anchor Bay and Roseanne herself guiding the process, it shouldn't suffer the same problem (fingers crossed).
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#16 of 202 Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 05:58 PM

Wow, what crap! If A Different World is messed up I will riot.

#17 of 202 CynthiaH

CynthiaH

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 06:28 PM

Well, I guess I can hold off on buying this now. I'm heading into a patch of unemployment, so I've been trying to decide which titles to weed out. I recently started taping off of TBS and WGN-if I would just be buying those syndicated versions, then I'm better off getting something that isn't on tv 17 kajillion times a day.

#18 of 202 John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 06:51 PM

If this is true, Amazon must be mistaken. They have the runtime for the Season 1 set at 575 minutes, which is what it would be if the episodes were uncut. Edited, the runtime should clock in at around 528 or so...

I was going to buy all 8 seasons of this show for sure. Now that they might be edited, that is definitely not going to happen. I'm sure as hell not paying $34.99 for an edited Season 1 that I can watch and record for free off TV. Oh well, more money for other DVD companies...

#19 of 202 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 08:37 PM

I was on the fence on this one, but now the decision is easy. No sale. Just wish I'd have had the same advance warning with ALF, but at least that one didn't have an SRP of 50 bucks.

CHris

#20 of 202 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 10:21 PM

If cut, then I also will be a lost sale. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

Forum Nav Content I Follow