What's new

Disney's Cinderella: Platinum details (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't find a recent enough thread on this, so I'm starting a new one. Details have emerged on the Cinderella Platinum Edition. This is from UltimateDisney.com:

I'm extremely excited about the 1922 Laugh-O-Gram!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
It's on the laserdisc box set.

The CAV Box set for Cinderella was one of the best laserdiscs Disney ever made, including a fantastic making-of doc and extensive reconstructions of unused story and song concepts. Very informative...and very tasteful.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm *drooling* at the chance to review this one. Cinderella is one of my all-time fav classic animated Disney titles...

:D :D :D

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Nice to hear that a wider audience may get to learn about these heroes of animation. Those of us that love the animation art-form know about the Nine Old Men, but most people out there don't, and its good to know people may gain some little knowledge about them.

They're making Cinderella 3? I didn't even know they made 2? Awful.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

I had a feeling something like this was happening. Have you seen the Cinderella ads promoting the Final Four?

I can't stand how Disney's DVDs can be SO good at presenting informative extras on such classic feature films, and at the same time being the worst of corporate tie-in stupidity.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Shameful.

For those who haven't seen it...its the scene where Cinderella runs from the ball at midnight and instead of leaving behind a glass slipper, they screw with the animation and turn it into a glass sneaker. Lame.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Cinderella stories...ESPN Classic...Hmm.

"He's on his final hole. He's about 455 yards away...He's gonna hit about a 2 iron, I think...IT'S IN THE HOLE!"

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Disney walked right into that one.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I know it's blashpemy (Ernest...I'll hand you the paddle) but I actually *liked* Cinderella 2 "dreams come true" in a strange, light-hearted sort of way...

:b

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I have not seen this film in a long time and look forward to viewing it again for the first time with adult eyes.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I know it's blashpemy (Ernest...I'll hand you the paddle) but I actually *liked* Cinderella 2 "dreams come true" in a strange, light-hearted sort of way...

Only a complete jack-ass (like myself) would ever tell someone what they should or should not like. I'll refrain from corporal punishment, though, and merely point out that --

* Cinderella 2 was aimed primarily at children, a violation of the tradition of Disney Feature Animation aiming for large family audiences

* Cinderella 2 featured low-budget, sub-standard animation, another violation of the tradition of Disney Feature Animation

* Cinderella 2 is almost a pilot for a Cinderella saturday morning TV series, in that it is three "Cinderella" episodes stitched together

* By forgiving and helping out Anastasia and Drizella, Cinderella would gain a place with the saints. They physically attack her in the original film, ripping her clothes to shreds, and not out of some misunderstanding, either, but out of their own viciousness. In this "sequel", one of them has problems finding a boyfriend and Cindy helps her out? Cindy slyly criticizes these hideous bitches in the original film, Cindy has spunk and soul in the 1950 film, she is perhaps the first modern Disney heroine. I don't buy for one second an interpretation of Cinderella as a person so forgiving she's just shy of Mother Theresa. No way. Not after what she goes through in the first film.

There. My Annie Wilkes moment is now out of my system.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
My wife actually piked up Cinderella 2 a while back. The only time it's ever been used was to entertain a couple of kids that were over at our house at some gathering. The kids seem to enjoy it, so apparently it wasn't a complete waste.

To be honest, I'm not sure the original Cinderella is really one of my favorites (oh, we'll still be getting it, heck, I can't even make my wife get rid of all the tape editions of these movies that she has). I guess for me, "Cinderelli" is just used a few too many times, and gets on my nerves.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Cinderella is a powerful drama. If Alfred Hitchcock had ever directed an animated film, I bet his film would look a whole lot like Cinderella.

Visaully, and in some ways, thematically, Disney's Cinderlla bears a striking resemblance to Hitchcock's Rebecca, and because the Disney team was known to tip their hats to classic films and filmmakers within their own work (check out the nod to "Nosferatu" in 1941's Dumbo), I'd be willing to bet that somehwere deep in the story notes for Cinderella, Rebecca is mentioned as inspiration for the drama within the household.

Now, imagine someone doing "Rebecca II: Dreams Come True", where the new Mrs. De Winter helps the vicious Ms. Danvers get a boyfriend.

Why is it any more palatable in Disney's cheapquel?

Look at the ads for Bambi II. The Great Prince, He of Few Words, is talking like a male version of Julie Andrews in The Princess Diarires. Gone completely is the strength and maturity of his silence. The last words of dialogue between Bambi and the Great Prince (cut at the final moments, though in the final scene you can still see the Prince's mouth moving) were: "Now you must learn to walk alone."

This dialogue remained in Disney storybooks and LPs, and I was surprised on seeing the film for the first time at the age of 17 when the dialogue was missing.

Now you must learn to walk alone.

Yeah, lets see a direct-to-video about that.

Oh, no, we can't make a Disney sequel with integrity to the original source. After all, we're just using the popular characters to sell units. Go away, Ernest Rister, let us fart out our crap and pretend we're not ass-raping the legacy of Walt Disney.

I find it mighty curious that the same year the first direct-to-video title hit, every year after was a year of diminhshing returns. As more and more DTV crap hit the marketplace, as the influence of these began to be felt more and more in the feature wing, the farther the respect for Disney animation fell. The brand name value disappeared. The event status of a New Disney Animated Feature apparated like some character in a Harry Potter novel. Poof!

They glutted the market with crap, and the public eventually returned the favor.

THE GREAT PRINCE
A Prince does not say whoo-hoo.

Get that out of my face. Any fan of Bambi would be OUTRAGED by such garbage. Just like some modern company making some cheap piece of crap out of Casblanca or Citizen Kane or Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

It's no different.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Yeah...unfortunately.

I don't have a bone to pick with remakes, I just have a small issue with MODERN EXECUTIVES MAKING TERRIBLE LOW BUDGET CHILD-ORIENTED SEQUELS TO GREAT WORKS OF AMERICAN CINEMA ART BEACUSE THEY'RE SO PREJUDICED THEY THINK ANYTHING WITH THE WORD "DISNEY" ON IT MEANS "CHILD SECTION AT WAL-MART".

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
By the way - I saw Miracle of the White Stallions on sale in the Disney section of Wal-Mart a few weeks back.

I had to laugh.

For those who don't know, that's a movie told from the point-of-view of the Nazis, how a band of Good Nazis defy orders to save some horses from both the heartless Nazi command and the Allies bombing.

Yeah, if anything says KidVid, its "Conflicted Nazi soldiers".

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Would Ms Danvers even want a boyfriend?

Thanks, Ernest. I wondered what the reason for the mouth movement was at the end of Bambi. Wonder why they cut the line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks