Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Disney's Cinderella: Platinum details

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 07:26 AM

Couldn't find a recent enough thread on this, so I'm starting a new one. Details have emerged on the Cinderella Platinum Edition. This is from UltimateDisney.com:

Quote:
TLA Video has posted some information about what's to come on Cinderella. This confirms what we already knew (Fullscreen transfer, Mono and 5.1 soundtracks) and elaborates on bonus features including deleted scenes, reconstructed deleted songs, live action-to-film comparison of the opening sequence, a featurette on Walt Disney's Nine Old Men, a sneak peek at the upcoming Cinderella III, the documentary "The Cinderella That Almost Was", Cinderella stories from ESPN Classic, "House of Royalty", making-of doc "Rags-to-Riches", a 1922 Cinderella Laugh-o-Gram, and the DVD-ROM feature "The Royal Life." In addition, the site specifies a Disney Channel Circle of Stars remix music video of "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and a Disney princess music video called "Every Girl Can Be a Princess."

Posted Image

I'm extremely excited about the 1922 Laugh-O-Gram!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 750 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
Cinderella stories from ESPN Classic
I just love corporate synergy. Posted Image
Quote:
a sneak peek at the upcoming Cinderella III
Make it stop. Posted Image
Some of the other features look nice though.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 07:58 AM

It's on the laserdisc box set.

The CAV Box set for Cinderella was one of the best laserdiscs Disney ever made, including a fantastic making-of doc and extensive reconstructions of unused story and song concepts. Very informative...and very tasteful.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 09:15 AM

I'm *drooling* at the chance to review this one. Cinderella is one of my all-time fav classic animated Disney titles...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 10:06 AM

Quote:
a featurette on Walt Disney's Nine Old Men
Nice to hear that a wider audience may get to learn about these heroes of animation. Those of us that love the animation art-form know about the Nine Old Men, but most people out there don't, and its good to know people may gain some little knowledge about them.

They're making Cinderella 3? I didn't even know they made 2? Awful.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Ben_@

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
Cinderella stories from ESPN Classic
I just love corporate synergy.

I had a feeling something like this was happening. Have you seen the Cinderella ads promoting the Final Four?

I can't stand how Disney's DVDs can be SO good at presenting informative extras on such classic feature films, and at the same time being the worst of corporate tie-in stupidity.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,829 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 21 2005 - 11:46 AM

Quote:
Have you seen the Cinderella ads promoting the Final Four?

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Shameful.

For those who haven't seen it...its the scene where Cinderella runs from the ball at midnight and instead of leaving behind a glass slipper, they screw with the animation and turn it into a glass sneaker. Lame.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
This confirms what we already knew (Fullscreen transfer, Mono and 5.1 soundtracks)
Posted Image Hate that word - Posted ImageFullscreen!Posted Image

Hope they mean Full Frame - OAR.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 01:50 PM

Quote:
They're making Cinderella 3? I didn't even know they made 2? Awful.

Yup - it came out in 2002 and was called Dreams Come True. I don't unilaterally criticize all Disney direct-to-video sequels, as some of them are pretty entertaining. This one was a disaster though - I actually called it a "nightmare come true".

http://www.dvdmg.com/cinderella2.shtml
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 03:08 PM

Looking forward to this one, well accept for the Cinderella 3 preview Disney can keep that one.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,663 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 04:09 PM

Cinderella stories...ESPN Classic...Hmm.

"He's on his final hole. He's about 455 yards away...He's gonna hit about a 2 iron, I think...IT'S IN THE HOLE!"

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Disney walked right into that one.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 01:05 AM

I know it's blashpemy (Ernest...I'll hand you the paddle) but I actually *liked* Cinderella 2 "dreams come true" in a strange, light-hearted sort of way...

:b
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 01:41 AM

I have not seen this film in a long time and look forward to viewing it again for the first time with adult eyes.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 05:15 AM

I know it's blashpemy (Ernest...I'll hand you the paddle) but I actually *liked* Cinderella 2 "dreams come true" in a strange, light-hearted sort of way...

Only a complete jack-ass (like myself) would ever tell someone what they should or should not like. I'll refrain from corporal punishment, though, and merely point out that --

* Cinderella 2 was aimed primarily at children, a violation of the tradition of Disney Feature Animation aiming for large family audiences

* Cinderella 2 featured low-budget, sub-standard animation, another violation of the tradition of Disney Feature Animation

* Cinderella 2 is almost a pilot for a Cinderella saturday morning TV series, in that it is three "Cinderella" episodes stitched together

* By forgiving and helping out Anastasia and Drizella, Cinderella would gain a place with the saints. They physically attack her in the original film, ripping her clothes to shreds, and not out of some misunderstanding, either, but out of their own viciousness. In this "sequel", one of them has problems finding a boyfriend and Cindy helps her out? Cindy slyly criticizes these hideous bitches in the original film, Cindy has spunk and soul in the 1950 film, she is perhaps the first modern Disney heroine. I don't buy for one second an interpretation of Cinderella as a person so forgiving she's just shy of Mother Theresa. No way. Not after what she goes through in the first film.

There. My Annie Wilkes moment is now out of my system.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 07:39 AM

My wife actually piked up Cinderella 2 a while back. The only time it's ever been used was to entertain a couple of kids that were over at our house at some gathering. The kids seem to enjoy it, so apparently it wasn't a complete waste.

To be honest, I'm not sure the original Cinderella is really one of my favorites (oh, we'll still be getting it, heck, I can't even make my wife get rid of all the tape editions of these movies that she has). I guess for me, "Cinderelli" is just used a few too many times, and gets on my nerves.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 11:25 AM

Cinderella is a powerful drama. If Alfred Hitchcock had ever directed an animated film, I bet his film would look a whole lot like Cinderella.

Visaully, and in some ways, thematically, Disney's Cinderlla bears a striking resemblance to Hitchcock's Rebecca, and because the Disney team was known to tip their hats to classic films and filmmakers within their own work (check out the nod to "Nosferatu" in 1941's Dumbo), I'd be willing to bet that somehwere deep in the story notes for Cinderella, Rebecca is mentioned as inspiration for the drama within the household.

Now, imagine someone doing "Rebecca II: Dreams Come True", where the new Mrs. De Winter helps the vicious Ms. Danvers get a boyfriend.

Why is it any more palatable in Disney's cheapquel?

Look at the ads for Bambi II. The Great Prince, He of Few Words, is talking like a male version of Julie Andrews in The Princess Diarires. Gone completely is the strength and maturity of his silence. The last words of dialogue between Bambi and the Great Prince (cut at the final moments, though in the final scene you can still see the Prince's mouth moving) were: "Now you must learn to walk alone."

This dialogue remained in Disney storybooks and LPs, and I was surprised on seeing the film for the first time at the age of 17 when the dialogue was missing.

Now you must learn to walk alone.

Yeah, lets see a direct-to-video about that.

Oh, no, we can't make a Disney sequel with integrity to the original source. After all, we're just using the popular characters to sell units. Go away, Ernest Rister, let us fart out our crap and pretend we're not ass-raping the legacy of Walt Disney.

I find it mighty curious that the same year the first direct-to-video title hit, every year after was a year of diminhshing returns. As more and more DTV crap hit the marketplace, as the influence of these began to be felt more and more in the feature wing, the farther the respect for Disney animation fell. The brand name value disappeared. The event status of a New Disney Animated Feature apparated like some character in a Harry Potter novel. Poof!

They glutted the market with crap, and the public eventually returned the favor.

THE GREAT PRINCE
A Prince does not say whoo-hoo.

Get that out of my face. Any fan of Bambi would be OUTRAGED by such garbage. Just like some modern company making some cheap piece of crap out of Casblanca or Citizen Kane or Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

It's no different.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,829 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 22 2005 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
Get that out of my face. Any fan of Bambi would be OUTRAGED by such garbage. Just like some modern company making some cheap piece of crap out of Casblanca or Citizen Kane or Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

Does "Mr. Deeds' mean anything to you, Ernest? Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 04:32 PM

Yeah...unfortunately.

I don't have a bone to pick with remakes, I just have a small issue with MODERN EXECUTIVES MAKING TERRIBLE LOW BUDGET CHILD-ORIENTED SEQUELS TO GREAT WORKS OF AMERICAN CINEMA ART BEACUSE THEY'RE SO PREJUDICED THEY THINK ANYTHING WITH THE WORD "DISNEY" ON IT MEANS "CHILD SECTION AT WAL-MART".

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 04:36 PM

By the way - I saw Miracle of the White Stallions on sale in the Disney section of Wal-Mart a few weeks back.

I had to laugh.

For those who don't know, that's a movie told from the point-of-view of the Nazis, how a band of Good Nazis defy orders to save some horses from both the heartless Nazi command and the Allies bombing.

Yeah, if anything says KidVid, its "Conflicted Nazi soldiers".

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 04:51 PM

Quote:
Now, imagine someone doing "Rebecca II: Dreams Come True", where the new Mrs. De Winter helps the vicious Ms. Danvers get a boyfriend.
Would Ms Danvers even want a boyfriend?

Thanks, Ernest. I wondered what the reason for the mouth movement was at the end of Bambi. Wonder why they cut the line out.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow