What's new

More exclusive Dualdisc on the way (1 Viewer)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Read this online today:

"Although some albums have been issued only on DualDisc in the past, the most anticipated CD to get that treatment will be Bruce Springsteen's next one, "Devils and Dust," coming April 26. In May, the new ones from Bon Jovi and Nine Inch Nails will come out exclusively in the dual style."

Looks like we're going to see even more of this format.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
That is my hope too, but we'll have to see. I just hope that Universal got their issues worked out with their MLP encoder and the NIN disc is 96/24, which is what Trent recorded at.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
:angry: DualDiscs don't play in my truck, or my home DVD player (CD side). I was looking forward to the NIN disc, I might not buy it now.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One workaround would be to copy the CD layer of the dualy-disc onto a regular CD, right? Or is there now massive copy-protection even on the CD-side (and I'm saying copy only in the "fair-use" sense).

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I didn't have any trouble copying either side of a Dualdisc. Granted I can't copy the MLP tracks, but the Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks were easy enough.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
The point is, I shouldn't have to make a copy to have a listenable disc. I should be able to open the case, take out the disc, put it in my CD player and push play.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Bill I get what you're saying.

I'm just in a slightly different boat in the sense that Dave Matthews Band new album will be available via dualy-disc for $1 more. I figure I'll pay that additional dollar, use Exact Audio Copy to try and get the best possible copy of the CD side so that I can use it safely in all my CD players, and give the "pseudo-hi-res" side a try in my RP91 (which has played the Velvet Revolver Dualy-disc I own just fine).

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
What player are you using Bill? I test DVD players all the time and I have only had one that had issues, the Pioneer 563. But it had issues with other types of discs too. I have tried them on 4 different car CD players and none have had problems. All are slot loading and one is a in dash changer.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

I'm in the same boat as you Carlo. The thing is though, if I have trouble playing the DD on my home stereo, I don't want to have to use a copied CD-R as part of my DMB collection. Tempting to buy it, but I think I'm gonna buy the regular CD to start. I've always got my Central Park DVD when I'm in need of DMB in stellar surround. If the reviews on the DD are that good, I'll upgrade.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Well the details on the new Nine Inch Nails release "With Teeth" has been released:

There is both a regular version and a Dualdisc version scheduled for release. The regular version will have a $13.98 list price. The DualDisc be a 18.98 list and the features are as follows:
CD side is the full album in stereo.
The DVD side contains the following features:
Album in hi res DVD-Audio surround sound
Album in Dolby 5.1 surround sound
The Hand That Feeds video
In-studio performance videos of 'the collector', 'love is not enough' and 'every day is exactly the same'
photo gallery
lyrics
(this content is subject to change, but that's the word)

The LP (that's vinyl, by the way) version of the album is scheduled to come out a week earlier, on April 26th.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They are hit and miss. Just because one title doesn't work in a given player doesn't mean that all will not work. For instance, "The Downward Spiral" CD side will not work in my front-loading car player, but Jamie Cullum's "Twentysomething" plays flawlessly. I haven't checked to see if there is a difference between the two DVD sides that could be the cause (e.g. if the NIN disc was dual layered on the DVD side, for instance).

Regards,

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
I have an older ('96) GM factory slot load CD player and a Pioneer 5-disc DVD changer. NIN's The Downward Spiral is the DualDisc I've had issues with.

Truth be told, my DVD player has issues with a lot of CDs recently, so maybe I'm not giving DD a fair shake. I'd still prefer a 2-disc set to a flipper. :)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Ken

What makes you think the NIN's Dualdisc is dual layered? From what I've read that is not possible at this time.

Hey Paul

I have seen quite a few posts about people having issues with the 563. I personally haven't had the oppurtunity to test it with Dualdisc but I plan on testing the new 588 soon. Here is a list of some other discs the player has had issues with though:

DVD-A titles that do not play the high resolution MLP surround mix:
T-Rex - Electric Warrior
Brian Wilson - Live at the Roxy Theater
Neil Young - Greendale
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Davis Sanborn - Time Again (Verve)
Boz Scaggs - Dig (need to verify)

DTS titles that do not play the surround mix:
Midnight Oil - Capricornia

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Carlo, where did you get the info on the DMB Dual disc? I didnt even realize a new album was in the works.

EDIT: Nevermind, I went to www.dmband.com and got all the info. Too bad this dual disc is only gonna be in Stereo, not 5.1

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

They announced the info to Warehouse members on 3/15, although people have been speculating about the album for months and months and months on all the message boards. There's both a studio and live recording of American Baby (first single off the disc) floating around there if you wanna hear what they're going for. I've listened to it about 25 or so times now, and it's growing on me, but I think I'm just going to have to waitr and compare it to the rest of the album.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kris:

You're muddying the waters a bit, Kris. I thought (and, since this is a Dual thread, it makes sense to assume) you were referring to Duals in your post #10.

The DVD-A issue you refer to in the second quote above is actually a rather old concern (I think it dates to almost a year ago) that's been thoroughly vetted elsewhere and is unrelated to Dual playback issues.

The DVD-A playback issues--caused by some record labels altering the copy protection encryption on their discs; there are several titles not on your list that were affected--are rectified via the 563 getting a firmware upgrade. It's a pretty content-/encoding-specific issue.

Some Dual concerns may also be encryption-related, but the vast majority of the concerns with this format have to do with non-compliance with the CD spec and the physical thickness of the disc, yes?

It's a horse of a significantly different color: I know of no manufacturer firmware upgrade that will get a Dual disc that's too thick or that is non-compliant with the CD spec to play on a machine that chokes on it. ;)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks