What's new

ever heard of RAINBOW parties? (1 Viewer)

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
My wife was recently talking to someone who hangs out with a lot of high school kids. This lady is some kind of counselor, soccer mom, PTA, can't remember what exactly. Anyway, she was telling the Mrs. that certain groups of [rant]high school students[/rant] have these rainbow parties where basically the girls get on their knees and do their thing. These girls wear bracelets to school and each time they do the deed they add a strand to it!:eek: And this is at one of the most upscale and richest schools in the area. I mean, WTF! My school never had stuff like this going on. Just bizarre.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, i've heard of them. There are lots of variations on the bracelets. It's crap like this that makes terrified of having kids. I've only been out of high school for about 6 years now and things seem to have changed a lot already. Not that I fear change, but crap like this is becoming more popular and often shows up in the "good kids" who think of it as "at least I'm not on drugs, so this must be OK." Sure, that's an oversimplification, but nonetheless, it's terrifying how common these types of things are becoming.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I thought oprah invented this to scare american parents. I'm wondering if the lady who was telling this story had gotten the info from the Oprah episode and was passing it on as a local expert.

And the "rainbow" name didn't come from the bracelet idea, rather from the effect of different lipstick prints on the guy's dork...

Oh, and I would imagine if you asked the average high school kid, he's is/is not getting laid as much as you of I did in high school.

-V

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
While I saw some crazy stuff go on at some parties back when I was in high school in the 80s (up to and including this couple having sex right on a pool table, in a room full of people doing otherwise-normal party things), I can't help but think that this is an urban legend, propagated by the Internet.

Statistics show that FEWER kids are having sex in high school than 20 years ago. The sky is not falling. We are living under this illusion that "kids today" are so much more horrid than they ever were, and there's not a lot of evidence to back it up.

Kids are getting fatter- that's a problem. I will say that.:)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Lets not forget that highschool includes eighteen year olds, and how many of us waited that long? This may be a bit much, but I also think that repressing sexuality is trouble as well. This could be symptomatic of it. Sorta like binge drinking for people who go to college. Why do they do it? becase they can! Creating an artifical date of maturity only creates binge breakpoints and heightens curiosity for those below it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My first response was
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

but in the grand scheme of things the 12 years ago that I was in high school wasn't all that long ago, and even if there were rainbow parties going on back then I certainly wouldn't have been invited.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

Todd, you have won a fruit cup.

This story sound remarkably similar to the "Jelly Bracelets" legend as detailed on Snopes.com .

Snopes gives this legend a yellow dot, which means its status is undetermined. But since the original poster heard it from a friend of a friend, whose position of authority is extremely vague ("soccer mom"? please :rolleyes:), and who offers no evidence whatsoever (besides her unsupported assertions), AND because it transparently exploits a widespread fear, this story can at this time be filed under "legend comma urban".

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

No no no, The type and number of jellied wrist-bands are to announce what kind of sex the wearer is into. Its an Urban Legend "concerned parents" have created, based on the 'Hanky Code' of the 1970's to scare otherwise rationalk people into believing that their children have become sex-crazed hypnozombies.

See also warnings of: Slasher movies, black music, heavy metal, rock & roll, pants worn under waist, $250 sneakers, pagers, Jimmi Hendrix posters, Dungeons & dragons, blah blah blah blah blah

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
As a current high school student, I can say, for one, that those jelly bracelets are purely fictional. Sure, people wear them (hell, I wear one or two sometimes) but the actual "meanings" to the colours have no presidence in our social activities. They're simply pieces of jewelry.

As for these rainbow parties, this doesn't happen either. Granted, I live in the suburbs and go to a catholic school (the majority of schools in Ontario are in fact catholic), but most of the people i know of have never been to, or heard of a party like this. It's pathetic nowadays anyways, what with all the STDs going around.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel

Okay, let me clarify. I called the Mrs. cause I knew the source I gave wasn't accurate. This is still second hand information but seems a bit more credible. My wife is a nurse and she was talking to some sales rep. Her father is a teacher at this high school and he told her (the sales rep.) about it who told my wife who then told me. So the chain of info is like this: Teacher at the school tells his daughter. Daughter tells my wife. My wife tells me. Now, how the teacher heard about this, I don't know. Maybe the kids at school are full of BS.

And Law and Order recently did an episode about these kind of parties. Their storylines are usually based on real life events.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Wow. I may have been the science club/debate club geek, as to with my wife; but unless they are having a negative effect going on, I doubt it :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Their stories are based upon things you've heard about, not necessarily real life. Some stories are "ripped from the headlines" while MANY are based on Urban legends or modified "what if's" of real stories.

Again, just like the bullshit I read about "high school" kids when i was in high school--- this stuff mgith have happened somewhere, sometime-- but is not sweeping the schools of america, lol.

-V

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
wow...there are so many versions of that story going around. When I was in highschool it was the "Strappers" rumor. Suposedly, a bunch of girls would use the straps of their messenger bags or backpacks and put pins all down the strap to represent how many guys she had sex with. This rumor spread far and wide in my state and eventually I remember it turning into a bracelet thing later on....

All rumors/legends/myths/bogus story.

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator

Was it Rick Derris and Gwen Turner? I think she looked just like Burt Reynolds that night. Except for the mustache.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I like the all-pineapple fruit cups, please.;)

Jackson- you made me think HARD about that reference.:) It was a surreal moment to be sure, still being a virgin and all at the time. Makes a man feel small.:D Alas, I was way too nice/meek for any of that in HS, though.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
I know, when I typed that I was thinking how stupid it sounds.:b

Ah well, true or not, at least Rob gave a link to a very cool site.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
His name wasn't Michael by any chance? Oh wait, that's preschool kids, never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks