-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Alpine CDA-9835 questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 ChrisKula

ChrisKula

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 07:22 AM

I have been looking for a head unit and really like the CDA-9835 but I am looking for some opinions on it before I buy. Anything bad about it that I should know, complaints from owners? Is the display worth the money over the lower model?

Also I have read that because of the amp in it you have to wire it differently, is this true? I will be using it's internal amp. Can you not wire it as you would any other head unit?

Thanks for the input!

#2 of 11 VinhT

VinhT

Second Unit

• 357 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 08:05 AM

I own an Alpine 9835, but no longer use it.

The display is definitely worth the extra money.

It is true that Apline recommends wiring the head unit differently. Because it draws more power than normal, a direct line to the battery is preferred. I did not use the internal amp, so I just used the traditional wiring harness method with no issues.

The reason I stopped using the 9835 was because I found it to be an extremely unrefined product that did not live up to its price tag. The most serious flaw involves the digital crossover. Using the digital crossover causes nasty playback glitches with certain CDs. The authorized dealer that I purchased the unit from confirmed that it was a known problem. I used the RCA outputs, so whether the issue affects the output of the internal amplifier, I do not know.

Another problem that I encountered with the 9835 was excessive fan noise. Even though I did not use the internal amp, the unit's cooling fan would occasionally turn on, and when it did, it was quite audible. The constant whine was not easily masked by music. I was actually willing to put up with it, but when my passengers complained about the fan noise, I knew it was time to find a different head unit.

Those are the two primary issues that I had with the 9835. Other issues involved minor quirks that should not be present in a head unit that cost me $500. I will say however, that Alpine's user interface is outstanding, perhaps the best in the industry.
Vinh Tran

#3 of 11 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 04:06 PM

Why not just wait for the 9855? It comes out in a few weeks, costs the same, and has a cool touch strip.

http://www.crutchfie....ch=alpine 9855
http://iweb.alpine-u...._name=CDA-9855

#4 of 11 BradleyS.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 06:54 AM

I have the 9833 and I love it. I belive its about the same thing as the 35 except for the display. I havent had any problems with fan noise on mine and I dont notice and crossover glitches with the internal amp. Great reciever, especially for the 300 I paid for it at crutchfield.

#5 of 11 Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 10:32 AM

Uh oh. I am just about to get a 9853. It is the 2005 model of the 33 (I think). I was supposed to get the 33 for my birthday on the fifth. My mom waited til the model went out of stock to try to order it. So now I have to get the newer, less powerful 53. I can live with the smaller amp but not with a disfunctional crossover. I will be using the crossover.

Anyway. Should I still get the new 53? Anyone having troubles with the 05' models?
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#6 of 11 Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 11:21 AM

Geez, Crutchfield can sure be inconsistent. When you check out the 53 it says Bass Engine and that an upgrade to the 55 will have Bass Engine Pro. Then in the detailed specs it says it has Bass Engine Pro. Alpines website also states that the 53 has BEP. Ah weird.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#7 of 11 VinhT

VinhT

Second Unit

• 357 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 12:57 PM

Scott,

I don't think you need to worry about the 9835 crossover issue too much. While I was able to duplicate the symptom at multiple dealers, I never tried a different model, so the problem may be isolated to just the 9835. Furthermore, I tend to test and examine my products more thoroughly than most, as I was one of the very few who discovered the flaw. The overwhelming majority of the Alpine consumer base is extremely satisfied with their products, and I'm sure you will be too, regardless of which model you choose. Posted Image
Vinh Tran

#8 of 11 Adam R

Adam R

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 05:28 PM

Just to add, I've been running my 9835 in 3 way mode using every filter it has available ( Posted Image ) and I've never run into playback issues. It is a little annoying that the rear output can't be highpassed any higher than 250 so it's hard to run an active 3-way front stage using the 9835 as the processor, but that's just a small complaint. All in all it's a great unit, never had any serious complaints about it, just little nit picky things.

#9 of 11 VinhT

VinhT

Second Unit

• 357 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 03:46 AM

Adam,

I do not know the details of your setup, but it sounds like you are still in 2-way mode. There is a switch underneath that will allow you to change to 3-way mode, which should alleviate the complication you mentioned. Refer to page 16 of your manual. Hope this helps.
Vinh Tran

#10 of 11 Adam R

Adam R

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 04:11 AM

no I'm in 3-way mode, the front output is highpassed at 3.2k, the rear output is bandpassed from 63-3.2k, and the sub output is lowpassed at 63. It works great for that, but if you were to run an active 3-way front stage (tweet, midrange, midbass, and then a sub), then the tweet could run from the front output fine, but the midrange couldn't be highpassed any higher than 250hz (the low end of the bandpass can only go up to 250), which is a bit on the low side for most midranges out there. Of course if you can afford 7+ channels of amplification and a nice 3-way set, then an external active processor shouldn't be a problem. I was just stretching to come up with complaints because there aren't many.

#11 of 11 Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 03:29 AM

The glide strip isn't so hot. I suggest you go try one out before purchasing.