What's new

What's currently the most prized item/s in your DVD collection and why ? (1 Viewer)

Ben__Tyler

Auditioning
What is or are, currently the most prized item/s in your DVD collection and please say WHY, for any ones named ?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
- The original Image Entertainment DVD's of Chaplin's City Lights, The Gold Rush '42, The Circus, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator. PAL speedup irritates the hell out of me. I'm hoping MK2 someday lets Warner re-do their DVD's with proper conversion. After seeing Koch Lorber's La Dolce Vita PAL-to-NTSC conversion, it annoys me more than the proper conversion wasn't used on the Chaplin films.

- Criterion's "Notorious" DVD.

- All of the Walt Disney Treasures tins (except for Pluto and Mickey Mouse Club, both of which I don't intend on owning).

- My OOP Disney DVD's (Snow White, Fantasia Anthology, Dumbo, and 20000 Leagues Under the Sea).

- MPI's OOP Beatles 4-disc set (Even though I'll replace Help! and Magical Mystery Tour when new editions come out)

- My Criterions (M: Special Edition, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Third Man, Notorious, 8 1/2, The Hidden Fortress, and The Royal Tenenbaums)

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
From the home office, my top 10:

1. SCTV. The complete (or as complete as we'll ever see)90-minute shows, the holy grail of comedy.

2. All 5 seasons of "The Dick Van Dyke Show." Think about it: ever since it went off the air local TV stations (and later Nick at Nite and TV Land) have paid untold hundreds of thousands of dollars for the rights to air truncated, time-sped versions of these classic episodes, interrupted by commercials. I paid less than $300 to OWN THE SERIES. That in a nutshell is why DVD as a format kicks ass.

3. Looney Tunes Golden Collections 1 & 2 (and eventually 3 & 4 & 5 & 6, etc, etc, etc, etc)

4. Walt Disney Treasures--particularly "Front Lines," "Behind the Scenes at Disney Studios," "Disneyland USA," "Tomorrowland" and "Mickey Mouse Club"

5. Fantasia Anthology

6. Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box

7. Simpsons seasons 1-5 (and beyond)

8. Beany and Cecil: Special Edition

9. The Ultimate Carson Collection

10. The Critic: The Complete Series

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
My copy of the Criterion "Brazil" set because it was one of the first of the super-deluxe sets. It set a standard to be followed by the SE "Lord of the Rings", etc.

Great commentary, extras, and the "Lover Conquers All" version make it a must have set and a pride of my collection.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Not necessarily the most valuable but most prized is my copy of Dances with Wolves theatrical cut w/ the DTS track. My all-time fav movie and in full-bit DTS.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Apartment - despite a subpar transfer, this is the greatest film ever made IMO, and hence the most valued of my dvds

The African Queen
After the Thin Man
Lifeboat
The Long, Long Trailer
Shadow of the Thin Man
Another Thin Man
Grumpy Old Men (OAR)
Grumpier Old Men (OAR)
The Thin Man Goes Home
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (longer cut)

- all of these are on dvd in my collection, burned from laser discs. Hopefully someday they will see official release on dvd, but until that day, they are especially treasured members of my collection.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
My most prized disc would have to be Jerry Seinfeld's movie/documentary "Comedian." Odd choice, but the keepcase is signed by Seinfeld so obviously it's more prized (to me) than my others.

NeilM

Auditioning
my copy of Pedro Almodovar's "Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown" because it's sadly OOP and there's not a single glint of hope of seing a special edition of it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Probably the original and now extinct WB
release of Little SHop Of Horrors with
the ending that wasn't supposed to be included.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
My favorites on my library-

Lord Of The Rings EEs- these are why
I love DVDs. Weeks worth of extras.

The Silence Of The Lambs Criterion-
OOP, and the commentary track is outstanding

Sid And Nancy Criterion- OOP, and I bought it
from someone at another website that didn't want
it in his collection anymore. Terrific film and
extras.

The Ultimate Toy Box- OOP, and a terrific package

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I would have to say that mine would be my spanish LILO AND STITCH 2-Disc collectors edition.

Not only does the disc look and sound better than the American issue, but it has the commentary, deleted scenese, behind the scenes...everything that I have been waiting for Disney to do with the disc in the States but haven't yet.

Some of the deleted scenes, such as Lilo having fun on the beach and warning of a fake tidal wave in order to clear the beach for herself, I fear might not make it to the region one issue. I could be wrong, but with as sensitve as what most of America seems to be...

I love the disc and it was well worth the money I spent to get it.

Adding to that...I would have to say that I am pretty proud to have sitting on my shelf the "ILSA" collection. Oh what fun movies...when people come over and look at our collection, it is always great fun to try to explain these films that 99% of the average viewer has no knowledge of.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
* All Seven Seasons of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

* Ditto for the three seasons of Star Trek: The Original Series, and the seven seasons of The Next Generation.

With these DVDs I can view the original, uncut, commercial free episodes of the TV series that I loved the most in the best video and audio presentation in the respective series history. And I can view them anytime I want to in any order that I desire. Truly a bargain at any price! (Now ... Just don't ask me about Voyager ...)

* All the Disney two-disc Classic Animateds; but especially Snow White. And I also highly value the OOP, "bare-bones", "The Little Mermaid" disc, which is at least making the wait for the Platinum Edition iteration of this title tolerable.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Duel (Collectors Edition), received from Amazon.com before Spielberg pulled it back, because it's different from the version eventually released I got it earlier than many others.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Pinocchio of Egypt

It was Disney's first animated DVD release, bought shrinkwrapped from a legitimate brick&mortar store.
The box said Pinocchio.
The artwork on the DVD said Pinocchio.
But when you played the DVD, it was Dreamworks' The Prince of Egypt

No one will admit to how it happened, or how many there were (I found multiple copies), but it sure was funny given the adversarial relationship between the animation departments at Dreamworks and Disney.

- Steve

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
My Laurel & Hardy DVDs from Germany and my Betty Boop collection (more than 100 cartoons) from France are big faves with me and the movie gang. I agree with those of you who cherish your Walt Disney DVDs, too (and Beany and Cecil -- a great disc!).

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD SE
FRANKENSTEIN LEGACY(containing three of my all time favorite films, FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN)
STAR WARS TRILOGY
INDIANA JONES TRILOGY
SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE
THE OLD DARK HOUSE
THE LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION VOLS.1 and 2
SLEEPING BEAUTY
KING OF KINGS CRITERION
THE THIRD MAN CRITERION

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

One of my favs too - so much so, when I heard it was going OOP, I went out and picked up a second set, which I still have sealed sitting next to my original set.

And speaking of Image, I cherish my Double Indemnity disc - warts and all, at least until the folks at Universal come to their senses.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The Fantasia Anthology
The Twilight Zone: The Definitive Edition Season 1
Jean Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy (Criterion Collection)
Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo
The Star Wars Trilogy
Hudson Hawk

...okay, just kidding about Hudson Hawk. :D I don't own it, and I certainly wouldn't cherish it if I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks