Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Seven Samurai - 2 Disc Special Edition???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 11:13 PM

Can anyone attest to the transfer on this newly released set?

It looks like a really cool package with lots of extra goodies but Im mostly concerned with the pq and how this compares with the non-anamorphic Criterion R1 edition?

http://dvdheaven.com...l.php?idx=10985

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 11:51 PM

According to Koreandvds the transfer is remastered, but it´s hard to find out something about a R3 edition transfer before it´s released. But if I´m not mistaken, didn´t Criterion announce that they were about to re-release this title this year? Perhaps that´s a reason to wait. I was hoping for an anamorphic release. And if you are unlucky, non of the extras has subtitles.

http://www.koreandvd...l.html?id=26272

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 12:27 AM

Thanks Peter, I did know about the Criterion re-release and I will be waiting for specs on that but I just found this interesting. I hope we get to see some reviews posted soon.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 01:09 AM

What concerns me is that sometimes Korean editions has a very nice cover (digipackaging etc.), but the actual disks are pretty bad. I saw that there is another Korean company that sells an edition with similar specs (DD 5.1 and so on) and both the PQ and the sound are terrible. I would say that there is a risk that this is in fact an old transfer/edition with a new packaging.

The info states that it should be a remastered edition, but I bought the Korean "remastered" John Woo box set and the PQ is just awful. No way they have remastered that one.

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 02:27 AM

Quote:
Im mostly concerned with the pq and how this compares with the non-anamorphic Criterion R1 edition?

Quote:
I was hoping for an anamorphic release.

I'm glad the Criterion release is non-anamorphic and I hope any re-release stays that way. It's a 1.37:1 film and should be non-anamorphic on DVD for optimal use of active pixel area.

DJ

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 02:40 AM

Well, I´m not a purist so I like anamorphic widescreen releases and 5.1 soundtracks, even if it "should be" 4:3 and mono.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Hendrik

Hendrik

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 04:46 AM

"Well, I´m not a purist so I like anamorphic widescreen releases and 5.1 soundtracks, even if it "should be" 4:3 and mono."

...tsk, tsk, tsk... and shame on you...!...

. . . Posted Image . . .

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 05:24 AM

Yes, I know it´s a "sin" here, but I´ve always felt that it´s a waste if you don´t use all the benefits of the DVD format. But of course, it´s my personal opinion.

I´m also very interested in this edition, since this movie is on top of my wanted list, but I can´t decide whether I should wait or not. I´ve contacted a local dealer, and if he imports it, I don´t think I will be able to resist.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
it´s a waste if you don´t use all the benefits of the DVD format

What possible benefit could there be? Why would you crop off actors' heads and other important information only for the purpose of creating an anamorphic widescreen presentation of The Seven Samurai, which incidentally will use exactly the same number of pixels as a correct presentation?

Personally I don't understand this wrongful hardware worship at all. If filling a widescreen TV is so important, why buy films at all when there are demo discs and trailers that can be used to show off a system? Posted Image

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 09:09 AM

This is getting a bit off topic now, but you don´t have to crop a movie to create a wide-screen presentation, at least not so much that you cut peoples heads off. I didn´t mean for this to be a aspect ratio discussion, I just said that I wouldn´t mind to see this movie in a anamorphic wide-screen presentation. You don´t agree and that´s fine with me.

The interesting thing for me regarding this new Korean edition is actually the packaging and possibly the transfer, although I don´t think it will be better than the Criterion transfer. I never watch extras so I don´t care if they don´t have English subtitles.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 12:18 PM

Wait for the Criterion - it's coming, not soon, but I imagine that they will be putting in a hell of amount of effort into the transfer, video and audio restoration, extras, new translation, etc.

Anamorphically 16:9 encoding an image of less than 1.66:1 is a waste of resolution. It is more logical to transfer in 4:3.

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 01:27 PM

Quote:
I´m also very interested in this edition, since this movie is on top of my wanted list, but I can´t decide whether I should wait or not.

If you want an anamoprhic widescreen version, then you can forget about it. No distributor in their right mind would butcher a classic like Seven Samurai in this way. It's, simply, nuts.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 10:56 PM

You´re most likely right, but here´s the reason why I have been waiting. I remember when I bought the Japanese Superbit edition of Dr Strangelove, I was first a bit confused about it having an aspect ratio of 4:3. I thought that all Superbits should have anamorphic wide-screen, but someone explained to me that this was the way Kubrick wanted it. Well, six months later they announced a new edition with anamorphic wide-screen.

After that I have been a little careful with buying movies that are "supposed to be 4:3". Now you´ll say that´s a big difference and you can´t compare with Strangelove and that´s probably right too, but that´s the reason why I have been holding off titles like this one.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
Well, I´m not a purist so I like anamorphic widescreen releases and 5.1 soundtracks, even if it "should be" 4:3 and mono.

Peter, how about colorising it as well? Posted Image

Thanks for the info, Marco, but I think I'll wait for the new Criterion edition. The existing Criterion version is far from shabby, and I'll make do with that for the moment.

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
Now you´ll say that´s a big difference and you can´t compare with Strangelove and that´s probably right too, but that´s the reason why I have been holding off titles like this one.

Strangelove was made in variable aspect ratios, between 1.37:1 to 1.66:1. Seven Samurai was made strictly 1.37:1. You will never see an anamorphic version of this film on DVD.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 09:37 AM

Quote:
You will never see an anamorphic version of this film on DVD.

No, I´m beginning to realize this now. Since we are on the subject of Kurosawa, did Criterion announce that they were going to re-release more of Kurosawa´s movies? I´m thinking about titles as Rashômon, Yojimbo and Ikuru. They recently released Kagemusha I think. That could be a reason not to buy this edition, especially if there are going to be a Kurosawa box set from Criterion.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 11:14 AM

Yojimbo, and also Sanjuro, are possiblities because the current dvd's of these movies are pretty poor.

There's nothing wrong with the fairly recent Ikiru and Rashomon dvd's however, and these will probably not be redone...
E-Mail | Collection

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted March 20 2005 - 07:28 PM

Quote:
They recently released Kagemusha I think.

I don't mean to side-track things, but has anyone got their copy of Kagemusha yet? I've got mine on order but have yet to receive it.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 03:13 AM

Anyone ordered the new R3 edition? If so, could you please give brief A/V review?

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Ville Niemela

Ville Niemela

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 09:17 AM

I have the new Korean SE, arrived just today.
By quick comparison it seems to have used the same transfer as the Toho release (Better then old Criterion)
Mono soundtrack is at really OK quality, but the 5.1 just sounds plain weird.
Generally I'm quite satisfied with this release.
Anyways, had I known earlier that the new criterion is coming this year instead of "Sometime in the future" I would have waited for it.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow