Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner, please help! Gone (but not forgotten) Horror titles need a DVD release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff<>

Jeff<>

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 12:07 PM

If anyone from Warner Home Video happens to stumble upon this thread, please PLEASE consider releasing the following horror titles from your vault this Halloween: DEADLY FRIEND (from Director Wes Craven) THE HAND (With Michael Caine and Directed by Oliver Stone) EYES OF A STRANGER (With Lauren Tewes (!) and Tom Savani gore effects) A STRANGER IS WATCHING (from Director Sean Cunningham (Friday The 13th)) NIGHT SCHOOL (Early 80's slasher with Rachel Ward) BTW, You guys did such an incredible job with last year's promotion (He Knows You're Alone, It's Alive, The Hunger, etc.) Thank you! Keep up the great work.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 10:24 PM

Very much agreed. Warner needs to release those films (and many others) and start focusing on "Horror Collection" box sets much like they're doing with Gangsters, Bette Davis, Tarzan, etc... Here's a list of titles, most of which I'm pretty sure are Warner-owned, that need DVD release: ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN (1958) THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS BEDLAM BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA THE BLACK ZOO THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS BRIDES OF FU MANCHU CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER THE CAT PEOPLE (1942) CHAMBER OF HORRORS (1966) CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE THE CYCLOPS DRACULA A.D. 1972 FACE OF FU MANCHU EYE OF THE DEVIL EYES OF A STRANGER FRANKENSTEIN 1970 FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE FROM HELL IT CAME THE FROZEN DEAD THE GIANT BEHEMOTH HANDS OF A STRANGER HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS HYSTERIA (1965) THE ILLUSTRATED MAN THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN THE INVISIBLE BOY ISLE OF THE DEAD IT! (1967) THE LEOPARD MAN MACABRE MAD LOVE MARK OF THE VAMPIRE MASK OF FU MANCHU MASTER MINDS MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949) MOON ZERO TWO MY BLOOD RUNS COLD THE NIGHT DIGGER NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS NO BLADE OF GRASS NOT OF THIS EARTH (1956) PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (1945) THE POWER (1968) PRIVATE PARTS (1972) QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE RETURN OF THE APE MAN RETURN OF DR. X THE SEVENTH VICTIM SHE (1965) THE SHUTTERED ROOM SNOW DEVILS SON OF KONG THE SORCERERS THE STRANGLER TORMENTED (1960) TROG TWO ON A GUILLOTINE VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU VOODOO MAN THE WALKING DEAD WEEKEND MURDERS WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH WICKED, WICKED WILD WILD PLANET WORLD WITHOUT END ZOMBIES ON BROADWAY

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 11:08 PM

I could have sworn you'd be the first one to reply to this thread, JoePosted Image!

However, while I do agree that Warners need to step up the release of their horror catalog on DVD, I don't think it helps your "cause" any by posting a list of supposedly-MIA Warners-owned properties which includes, off the top of my head, at the very least (I didn't do a thorough check to see if there were any morePosted Image!) 5 which ARE already available on DVD:

THE BAD SEED (1956)
THE BLACK SCORPION (1957)
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED (1964)
DEAD RINGER (1964)
THE VALLEY OF THE GWANGI (1969)

Could it be that you aren't aware of their release on DVD? I find that quite unlikely given that you've been constantly harping on their absence for years! But then, if you were so looking forward to them being released, how come you haven't picked any of them up yetPosted Image? By the way, I still need to pick up THE BAD SEED and DEAD RINGER myself...

In any case, I hear you on the following:

THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (1946)
BEDLAM (1946)
THE BRIDES OF FU MANCHU (1966)
CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER (1958)
CAT PEOPLE (1942)
CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (1944)
DRACULA A.D. 1972 (1972)
THE FACE OF FU MANCHU (1965)
EYE OF THE DEVIL (1967)
FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE (1973)
THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (1969)
ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945)
THE LEOPARD MAN (1943)
MAD LOVE (1935)
MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)
THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932)
MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949)
NOT OF THIS EARTH (1956)
THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (1945)
PRIVATE PARTS (1972)
THE RETURN OF DR. X (1939)
THE SEVENTH VICTIM (1943)
SHE (1965)
SON OF KONG (1933)
THE SORCERERS (1967)
THE WALKING DEAD (1936)
WILD WILD PLANET (1965)
WORLD WITHOUT END (1956)

as well as a couple of others which, surprisingly, did not make your list:

THE MAD GENIUS (1931)
DR. X (1932)
THE DEVIL DOLL (1936)

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor

• 809 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 06:51 AM

Need to add... Killer Party New Year's Evil Dark Night of the Scarecrow The Bees ...to that list
"My advice to young film-makers is this: Don't follow trends. Start them!" -- Frank Capra

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 08:24 AM

Mario, I merely copied this very old list from another source. If some titles were missing from their list (like DR. X), they're the ones who made a boo-boo. And I actually did eliminate a whole bunch of titles myself in preparation that I already knew have been subsequently released to DVD -- and I already own many of those (like FREAKS, DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE, DR. JEKYLL & MR. Hyde...).

As for the already-released titles you pointed out that I was unaware of, I guess I didn't realize they were never out because I was never "harping" for those movies and didn't wish to buy them. Posted Image

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 08:30 AM

double post

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 03:36 AM

Agreed that more horror/sci-fi/fantasy films from Warner are needed (though what's available from them now is exceptional). Here are a few other odds and ends missing from the master list above:

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929) MGM
THE MAZE (1953) Allied Artists
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (1957) Allied Artists
THE HYPNOTIC EYE (1960) Allied Artists
CONFESSIONS OF AN OPIUM EATER (1962, aka SOULS FOR SALE) Allied Artists
CAPTAIN SINDBAD (1963) MGM
BATTLE BENEATH THE EARTH (1967) MGM
THE GREEN SLIME (1969) MGM
NIGHT OF THE LEPUS (1972) MGM
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (1973, Made-for-TV) Lorimar

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Check out my Film & TV Blog (established 5/5/15): Smoking Holes That Were Once My Eyes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users