What's new

phono stage for Goldring GR-1 (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
I just bought a Goldring GR-1 turntable (RB-250 arm, Elektra cartridge). Amp is a Onkyo SR500 receiver; speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 8.2. What phono stage would you recommend for this turntable?

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the recommendation of the Parasound PHP100, it's cheap as dirt and amazingly clean.

Where did you get your Goldring GR-1? I have been told that the GR-1 is a Rega VP-02 built for Goldring, and have been looking for independant confirmation.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well I used to own a Creek phono preamp and it's a very nice preamp for the money. If you could find a used Lehman Black Cube I would go with that because it's probably the best phono preamp i've heard under a thousand dollars. It's very fast and detailed without being bright.

Sathyan

Second Unit
I bought my Goldring from Audio Advisor. It looks very similar to a Rega P2.
Uses the RB-250 arm. A bit more plastic than the Rega. No VTA but weight, anti skating, and azimuth are adjustable.
MDF platter. Record mat will need to be replaced or flattened
Speed is slightly uneven - I can hear the warbling on a 1kHz test tone but not on actual music. Speed cannot be adjusted.
Dust cover of heavier plastic than Rega.
Sonically, I've heard the P2 in a store and don't know the cartridge so can't do a real comparison. The Goldring is however very satisfying...sounds better than my sacd player.
I don't know who made it. It says Made in England all over the place. Could very well be Rega and visualy inspecting it would lead me to believe so but sounds different (IMO, better) but that could be the cartridge.

Thanks for the replies re: phono stages. I have the Radio Shack and want something better - I would describe the RS as veiled, like if the orchestra was playing with the stage curtains drawn closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks