Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

phono stage for Goldring GR-1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Sathyan

Sathyan

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 02:13 AM

I just bought a Goldring GR-1 turntable (RB-250 arm, Elektra cartridge). Amp is a Onkyo SR500 receiver; speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 8.2. What phono stage would you recommend for this turntable?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   gregD

gregD

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 03:47 AM

Many phono-pre's at many price points:

http://www.needledoc...category.401/.f

The one I use is a Parasound PPH-100... big performer @ $120.

Others that get regular positive feedback: Creek, Pro-Ject, Lehman... and many insist that the bare-bones Radio Shack pho-pre works just fine.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Lee Distad

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 11:19 AM

I'll second the recommendation of the Parasound PHP100, it's cheap as dirt and amazingly clean.

Where did you get your Goldring GR-1? I have been told that the GR-1 is a Rega VP-02 built for Goldring, and have been looking for independant confirmation.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott_N

Scott_N

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 03:47 AM

Well I used to own a Creek phono preamp and it's a very nice preamp for the money. If you could find a used Lehman Black Cube I would go with that because it's probably the best phono preamp i've heard under a thousand dollars. It's very fast and detailed without being bright.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Sathyan

Sathyan

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 09:52 AM

I bought my Goldring from Audio Advisor. It looks very similar to a Rega P2.
Uses the RB-250 arm. A bit more plastic than the Rega. No VTA but weight, anti skating, and azimuth are adjustable.
MDF platter. Record mat will need to be replaced or flattened
Speed is slightly uneven - I can hear the warbling on a 1kHz test tone but not on actual music. Speed cannot be adjusted.
Dust cover of heavier plastic than Rega.
Sonically, I've heard the P2 in a store and don't know the cartridge so can't do a real comparison. The Goldring is however very satisfying...sounds better than my sacd player.
I don't know who made it. It says Made in England all over the place. Could very well be Rega and visualy inspecting it would lead me to believe so but sounds different (IMO, better) but that could be the cartridge.

Thanks for the replies re: phono stages. I have the Radio Shack and want something better - I would describe the RS as veiled, like if the orchestra was playing with the stage curtains drawn closed.