-

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars and Star Trek both come to an end less than a week apart

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 03:14 PM

Hey everybody,

I just realized that the final Star Trek episode will air on May 13, and the final Star Wars movie opens a mere six days later, on May 19.

This truly represents the end of an era, as two of the most popular sci-fi epics of all time coincidentally come to an end within a week of one another.

In a way, it feels like my childhood (or an important part of it, at least) is coming to an end. Does this mean I'm going to have to start growing up now? Posted Image

But remember, neither story is truly coming to an end -- the lack of new, multi-million dollar productions does not mean that these two epic stories won't continue to grow and thrive within our imaginations.

#2 of 22 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 03:45 PM

Rob, Paramount, at least, still is talking about an eleventh Star Trek feature. And another television series — a number of years hence, of course — is going to happen. As for the Lucas thing, well, you've known for years it's coming.

#3 of 22 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 04:13 PM

This truly represents the end of an era, as two of the most popular sci-fi epics of all time coincidentally come to an end within a week of one another.

Star Wars is going to be turned into a TV series, and after the franchise fatigue has worn off, Trek will be back, either on the big screen or as yet another TV series.

#4 of 22 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:06 PM

Somehow I get the feeling that our mortal lives will come to an end before we see the absolute end of Trek or Wars in some form or another.

#5 of 22 Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 11:04 PM

Quote:
Somehow I get the feeling that our mortal lives will come to an end before we see the absolute end of Trek or Wars in some form or another.

As long as they're profitable, you're correct.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#6 of 22 MitchellD

MitchellD

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 12:16 AM

This truly represents the end of an era

The Star Wars era came to an end in 1981 when Star Wars was re-title to Chapter 4, A New Hope.

The Star Trek era came to an end when they put Rick Bermen in charge.

#7 of 22 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 01:29 AM

MitchellD said: The Star Wars era came to an end in 1981 when Star Wars was re-title to Chapter 4, A New Hope.

And yet, here you are.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#8 of 22 Pat Frank

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 03:09 AM

Good observation, Rob.

Also one of those observations that (as you can see above) will invariably, immediately get nit-picked to death. (grin)
"We're gonna need a bigger screen..."

#9 of 22 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 03:45 AM

The Star Trek era came to an end when they put Rick Bermen in charge.

Untrue. In fact, Berman saved the franchise during TNG's third season. Problem is, he ran out of gas a few years later and, along with Braga, went into terminal repeat mode. So he became "bad" for the franchise back during that awful Voyager period.

#10 of 22 DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 05:43 AM

Quote:
Untrue. In fact, Berman saved the franchise during TNG's third season. Problem is, he ran out of gas a few years later and, along with Braga, went into terminal repeat mode. So he became "bad" for the franchise back during that awful Voyager period.

Good point. People have gotten so used to bashing Rick and Brannon that they tend to forget that those two (along with Ron Moore, Ira Steven Behr, etc.) have done some amazing work with Trek over the years.

If TNG had continued as the same show it was for the first two years, we wouldn't even be talking about it today.

#11 of 22 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,499 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 03:33 PM

Yeah, both Berman and Braga have done some great things for the franchise. As Jack pointed out, Berman did save the franchise in the late 80s and early 90s, but I just think he's run out of ideas (sort of like Eisner at Disney). And Braga is an extremely talented writer; he was responsible for some of the best episodes from TNG's 3rd, 4th, & 5th seasons. He just doesn't seem to be as good at carrying on story arcs. I think he'd be an ideal writer for a Twilight Zone-like anthology series.

As I've said before, even though this past season of Enterprise has been pretty good, I really hope this rest lasts a little while. I don't really have an opinion on the proposed 11th movie yet, except that if they're going to create a completely new set of characters, I would rather they jump ahead into the future instead of going back into the past again. After all, Star Trek has always been about going forward.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#12 of 22 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 04:39 PM

sort of like Eisner at Disney.

Mr. Eisner had plenty of ideas at Disney. Trouble is, they were all bad.

Gnomeo and Juliet -- a retelling of Shakespeare's classic fable as acted by lawn gnomes. I'm not making this up, this was Eisner's brainchild.

#13 of 22 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 03:45 AM

Just before it "all ends", there's going to be a LEGO Star Wars: The Movie.

#14 of 22 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 10:48 AM

I just wish that the current generation of Star Trek producers could go a year or so without starting a war. Posted Image I mean, you look at The Next Generation, at Deep Space Nine, at Enterprise [I stopped watching Voyager so I can't comment]; it seems that they are not satisfied with the self-contained episodic format of the original series, but the only large-scale framing device they can come up with is Galactic War to the Knife. It is really getting old!

#15 of 22 Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 12:42 PM

And to think, both have ended as a result of bad writting. The irony of it all...

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#16 of 22 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 03:30 PM

And to think, both have ended as a result of bad writting. The irony of it all...

I believe the Star Wars prequels are ending because there isn't another whole number between "3" and "4".

Posted Image

#17 of 22 Andrew Priest

Andrew Priest

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 08:31 PM

Well, Lucas could always decide to switch the numbering of Star Wars movies from integer to floating point. Posted Image
I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.

#18 of 22 Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 09:40 PM

Quote:
I believe the Star Wars prequels are ending because there isn't another whole number between "3" and "4".

But there is after "6" Posted Image
I would never count out the possibility of a "sequel" trilogy.

#19 of 22 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 07:22 AM

I can hardly hold my tears back.

#20 of 22 Rutgar

Rutgar

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted March 22 2005 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
But there is after "6"
I would never count out the possibility of a "sequel" trilogy.

I have an old VHS tape of Star Wars that has an interview with George Lucas, where he in fact says that he intended to do the prequels, and then come back and do episodes 7,8, and 9. In more recent interviews, I've seen him totally deny that he ever said that (even though I have it on tape), and that he has absolutely NO intentions of doing any more Star Wars films. Episode 3 is IT.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow