Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

is the "s-word" allowed on tv now?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:47 AM

hi all - couple of nights ago i was watching "sixteen candles" on tcm, and they used they said s**t a few times. i also remember watching something else and heard the s-word. my buddy even commented he's heard it on tv as well. just curious...

#2 of 63 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,212 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:51 AM

On FX, after 10 p.m., they get away with the S-bomb on "The Shield".
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 63 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:54 AM

I think in a couple of years we'll be able to hear most words considered profane. It's just a matter of time. It's sad to me. We've made it this far without them.

#4 of 63 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:00 AM

Was it on TBS? I've heard most profane words after midnight on TBS...specifically on Mr. Show. It was strange once when shit was bleeped, but fuck came out unscathed Posted Image
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#5 of 63 OFFLINE   Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts
  • LocationAnaheim. CA

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:00 AM

TCM and FX, as cable rather than broadcast stations, are not held to the same standard as CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc, which fall under the FCC purview. So far, the FCC only takes responsibility for the "public" airwaves rather than the private cable ways and scrambled satellite transmissions.
I have learned that some pain cannot be healed, but must be endured. I believe our Higher Power will help us to endure and find peace. I loved the boy with the utmost love of which my soul is capable and he is taken from me-yet in the agony of my spirit in surrendering such a treasure, I feel a thousand times richer than if I had never possessed it."
-- William Wordsworth 1812

#6 of 63 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,739 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:01 AM

Broadcast television could say 'shit' after 10 PM (until 6 AM) if they want to. The FCC has no jurisdiction over them during those times. However, networks are afraid of boycotts or letter writing campaigns by people so they don't allow it. Cable can theoretically say anything they want at anytime they want but they don't because of the same boycott fears. So most cable channels don't run shows with 'bad' language until 10 PM as well.

#7 of 63 OFFLINE   Chris Derby

Chris Derby

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:02 AM

It's not really a "s-bomb"... It's more like a "s-firecracker". Now a "f-bomb" is an entireley different animal.
-derby

#8 of 63 OFFLINE   Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:02 AM

TCM is great, they have even played movies like the exorcist, la confidential (at 2 in the morning) but still ,both have loads of swearing, violence, and nudity.
Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of...

#9 of 63 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:03 AM

Not that I'm advocating the overuse of the word on television, but I don't understand why it is considered a dirty word anymore. There are dozens of other scatological words that can be used in broadcasting with no problem. It's just another word with no other meaning and no sexual connotations. I don't get what the big deal is.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#10 of 63 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:04 AM

Ted, "allowed on tv now" implies stations are getting more lenient, which is not true at all, the trend in the current climate is the exact opposite. Just this morning I heard (on NPR) a report on the FCC, and the adverse effects of the "decency" crackdowns on creativity and freedom of speech were mentioned. I was shocked to learn that shows broadcast as recently as 2-3 years ago are being edited for "offensive" content. -- H

#11 of 63 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,313 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:09 AM

Don't forget, FCC regulations do not apply to cable or satellite, even to basic channels. Their writ only extends to broadcasts over what are theoretically the public airwaves. (It is only because the government acts as trustee and surrogate for the public in administering that limited broadcast spectrum that it can can regulate content to the degree it does, without running afoul of the First Ammendment.) Broadcasters are therefore extra sensitive about even things that aren't explicitly forbiddden. "Cablecasters" aren't technically restrained at all, really, except by what they feel their audience will accept at a given hour. (One reason why Comedy Central can run uncensored "R" rated movies and comedy acts in the late night hours.) Regards, Joe

#12 of 63 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:11 AM

On Monday's 11 PM "Daily Show", Jon Stewart made a point of using "shit", unbleeped, because it was late night and his guest was a Princeton professor who wrote a book called "Bullshit". He then went on to say that the morning repeat would have the offending word bleeped out. One funny thing though was that during the 11:30 PM repeat on Tuesday night, it was bleeped out. The interview with the author was odd since the book was now "Bullbleep". But, they showed the cover unsanitized while Jon read the bleeped title out loud. How weird is that?

#13 of 63 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:13 AM

Before the Janet Jackson/Superbowl incident, NYPD Blue was (I believe) the first network show to start using "shit" and "bullshit". As I recall, the producers made an agreement with ABC about how many occurrences would be allowed in a single show.

Post-Janet Jackson, all of that got dropped, along with Gordon Clapp's nude scene (which should make a great DVD extra some day Posted Image ).

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#14 of 63 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:34 AM

The new fucknut at the head of the agency wants to change that. -- H

#15 of 63 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:45 AM

Since when does The Exorcist have nudity? Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#16 of 63 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:46 AM

Isn't it some wacky senator that is trying to change things? I know I heard a high ranking FCC guy ( Colin Powell's son?) saying that there was no chance of any cable-censorship bill going through.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#17 of 63 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 09:44 AM

There is an existing thread on that subject, and further discussion of it should go in that thread.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#18 of 63 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 09:46 AM

The new fucknut in charge of the FCC that Holadem mentioned is a "staunch indecency foe". It's not surprising that the broadcast networks are in favor of expanding the indecency rules to cable, since the broadcast nets are effectively at a disadvantage in that particular aspect.

There is another fucknut senator that wants to do something similar, but presumably from a legislative, as opposed to regulatory, angle.

#19 of 63 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 09:48 AM

"Shitty shitty fag fag/ shitty shitty fag fag"
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#20 of 63 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,404 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 17 2005 - 11:08 AM

I think once Janet's boobs fade from memory, only the f and c words will be censored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users