Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

5.1 or optical output

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Gray

Gray

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:45 AM

I am trying to figure out whether 5.1 or optical is better. I am using a Sony DVP-NC875V (DVD/SACD) and a Sony STR-DB840. I plan on using the fiber optical audio out for my DVDs. Does the 5.1 analog out from the DVD player to the reciever actually make a difference? Can you have both connections at the same time? If so, how do I know which component is decoding and which is better? Pleease help...

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:57 AM

Very easy... hook them both up, and A:B them. There should be no problem having both connections hooked up. When comparing, make sure to level-match, as one input may be louder than the other (but not necessarily better sounding, on-balance).

For SACD playback, you must use the 5.1 analog connections.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:59 AM

With the optical, the receiver is decoding. With the 5.1 outs, the DVD player is decoding. Unless you have a need for DVD-Audio or something like it, for DD and DTS 9 times out of 10 the receiver has better decoders. Use the optical, it will cost much less than 6 audio cables and you don't have as much wire mess going on behind you components.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Gray

Gray

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I will skip the 6 cables and use the Optical. While we are on the subject, Is there really any difference between the optical and coaxial? Coaxial to me seems like just another cable...

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
Is there really any difference between the optical and coaxial?
nope...none...zippo!

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:53 AM

Dude!

If you have any SACDs you MUST use the analogs as Rich said (5.1 for multi-channel, stereo L/R for 2 CH).

For movies, sure try it both ways, but for SACD, you have no option if you want to hear real hi-rez sound.

If your SACDs are hybrid, sure, you are fine with the optical or coax, but that is NOT why you bought an SACD, right?

BGL

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Colin+M

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 11:20 AM

How do you like the Sony DVD changer? i have one i just got in the mail, but haven't got to hook it up yet(i'm on spring break).
"I'm your huckleberry"

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Gray

Gray

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 01:12 AM

I just got mine in the mail too. I popped a fuse on my Sonance AC-2 so it's not running yet. As far as SACD, that was just an extra feature. My main focus was progresive scan, Sony product, 5-disc, and black in color. I do have some extra monster cables laying around, maybe I will plug them in for SACD. Then I'll go buy a couple of SACD;s...

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I think I will skip the 6 cables and use the Optical. While we are on the subject, Is there really any difference between the optical and coaxial? Coaxial to me seems like just another cable...
There is a large contingent that believes coax is better, and particularly among audiophiles. On my system, and with my cables, coax does sound better (and so the coax connection goes to the DVD player and the optical for the digital cable). If it's a toss-up for you, then just know that the majority prefer coax.

I'm not familiar with your equipment, but it's certainly not a given that the DACs in your receiver are better than the ones in your player. If you really want the best sound you can get from your system, the only way to know for sure is to compare.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

Forum Nav Content I Follow