-

Photo

Primer - Worth A Blind Buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 David Levy

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 02:58 AM

I have NOTHING to buy in April, so I was reading about this little movie... has anyone seen it?

#2 of 19 JohnAP

JohnAP

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 05:34 AM

I'm curious about this too. There were lots of good reviews on it when it played festivals, but I never saw it at any theaters. I think I'll check it out from netflix first.

#3 of 19 PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 05:56 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing it. As far as other April releases, here are some out of my Netflix queue: Sideways, Spanglish, Talking Picture, Bad Education, Hotel Rwanda, Ocean's Twelve, Reconstruction, Woodsman, Birth, House of Flying Daggers, Assassination of Richard Nixon, Manson Family, Undertow, Series of Unfortunate Events, Who Killed Bambi?

#4 of 19 Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 06:05 AM

It's playing at Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival next month.... I guess at least that means the big guy liked it....

#5 of 19 Kyle_D

Kyle_D

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
It's playing at Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival next month.... I guess at least that means the big guy liked it....

It's one of the film's I'm most looking forward to seeing at this year's festival Posted Image

#6 of 19 Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:58 AM

I found this to be REALLY smart & challenging, with lots of things to be gained from repeated viewings (and commentary). I'd suggest a rent for sure. Some may find it frustrating, I felt it was a bit too elliptical--but couldn't stop thinking about it either!
Hopefully the disc will have some backstory about how it was made for so little money. (In an interview the writer/director basically said what he saved in money he paid doubly in time and effort. Still impressive though!)
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#7 of 19 David Levy

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:47 PM

Only a commentary according to what I read. Is that right?

#8 of 19 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 01:50 AM

I'd been looking forward to PRIMER, and had assumed I'd have to wait for the DVD to see it. How surprised I was to see this obscure little flick playing in a theater less than an hour away. I made the trip, and it was definitely worth it.

I've only seen it the once, but I certainly imagine how, as Tim said, repeat veiwings would be very rewarding. It was not perfect—the plot became rather convoluted and confusing—but I nevertheless enjoyed it greatly and recommend it wholeheartedly.

#9 of 19 Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
I have NOTHING to buy in April
What??? You mean you aren't anxiously awaiting the arrival of Elektra? Posted Image

Seriously though, regardless of how you might feel about Elektra, April is going to be a great month for DVD releases! Several high profile new releases as well as some great classics, most of which have never been available on DVD before, some have not even been available on video, are coming out on DVD in April.

There are too many to try and make a list right now, but to kick the month off here are some of the releases set for the first week of April, 4/5/05:

Besides Elektra, Fox is releasing the hugely successful pseudo-indy film Sideways and a nice collection of classic Hong Kong films:
The Hand of Death (1971)
Spooky Encounters (Gui da gui)
Warriors Two
Winners And Sinners

Warner, Universal, Buena Vista, and Lion's Gate do not have much slated for a 4/5/05 release date, but what they are releasing is worth a look.

Warner, as discussed in this thread is releasing Primer as well as the interesting made-for-TV Dirty War.

Universal is coming out with the decent remake of With or Without You.

Buena Vista is releasing the IMAX film, Sacred Planet.

Lion's Gate is releasing I Am David with Jim Caviezel.

Columbia is releasing Spanglish (Adam Sandler most recent film), as well as the new Special Edition of Silverado. In addition they are also releasing several classic westerns including some excellent Glen Ford classics:
A Good Day For A Hanging
Bonanza Town
The Desperadoes: Special Edition
Jubal
Lust for Gold
The Professionals: Special Edition
Texas (1941)
The Texican
The Violent Men
(they are also re-releasing several classic westerns as 2-pack deals):
Hangman's Knot
MacKenna's Gold
The Missing
Man From Colorado
Mountain Men
Old Gringo

MGM is releasing several excellent foreign films under their World Films series:
The Crook
Hey Babu Riba
Viva Maria!
MGM is also releasing the Amityville Horror Gift Set (w/free ticket to the new remake of The Amityville Horror):
The Amityville Horror
Amityville II: The Possession
Amityville 3D
Amityville Confidential (bonus disc with several special features)

Anchor Bay is releasing the wonderful The Ealing Comedy Collection:
The Maggie
Passport To Pimlico
A Run For Your Money
The Titfield Thunderbolt
Whisky Galore
AB is also releasing Mischief (classic 80's fluff), Nuns On The Run (a long awaited title for Eric Idle fans), and Word Wars (a terrific and humorous documentary about the wacky world of competitive Scrabble).

Image is releasing a couple excellent classic films under their Milestone Collection series and a long lost Carl Dreyer classic:
Hindle Wakes
Through the Back Door
Satan's Book

Zeitgeist is releasing Mark Achbar's superb documentary The Corporation.

Kino is releasing the French film Talking Picture.

Home Vision is releasing the controversial indy film, Zero Day.

There are also some high profile TV shows being released on DVD that same week and many more lesser known titles.

And all of these choices are only from the first week of April, there are many more throughout the month to keep your eye on.

#10 of 19 David Levy

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 08:21 PM

I know what's out dude, there's just nothing there for me.

I mean, the most interesting is Sideways... and I thought that was just... meh.

#11 of 19 Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted March 18 2005 - 10:50 PM

Personally, I thought Sideways was great… but worth repeated viewings? Not for me (and, guess what, nothing else being released that day interests me as a permanent addition to my collection, as well). Now, Primer... talk about a title to wear out your DVD player with! I saw it in the movies. I actually caught it at a free preview screening. It was pretty empty for a free movie. I'd say about 100 people showed up. Let me tell you… about half of them walked out and those who stayed afterward were like "Can anyone explain to me what this movie's about?!" Now I loved it, and my wife even liked it. I never felt like that after a movie since I saw Memento. As much as it is wrapped up in physics, it’s also a visceral experience (I won’t spoil as to why this is). I know it would be a worth picking up on DVD.

If you know what to expect from Primer and have read up on the film, get it. If you are going in completely blind, like most of the audience at the free screening who usually go to free screenings just for a free movie, I would suggest stay away.

#12 of 19 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,606 posts

Posted March 19 2005 - 07:23 PM

I thought Primer was excellent and I can't wait to watch it again when it comes out.

It's a 'thinking' movie. If you're just a passive watcher you can easily get lost and not know what's going on (some people walked out of my screening too). The dialog in the beginning is mostly two physics geeks discussing experiments -- something you might normally gloss over -- but it goes on for quite a while and unless you're keyed into what's going on you can get screwed up for most of the film.

I was with it until the last ten minutes or so then things happened so quickly that I never recovered. But I was thinking about that movie constantly for a good week and managed to sort some of it out. It was like a puzzle. Something insignificant in the middle of the movie turns out to be something more serious in the latter half.

Great stuff.

-paul

#13 of 19 willieGoldman

willieGoldman

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 07:07 PM

Do you guys know when Primer is coming out - haven't seen it yet?

Thanks!

#14 of 19 Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 09:01 PM

Do you guys know when Primer is coming out - haven't seen it yet?

I thought it was supposed to be out April 5, but, according to Amazon, it's now due April 19. Still, I just got an email over the weekend from Columbia House that my order for Primer has just been shipped out to me!

#15 of 19 bill.M

bill.M

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 12:46 AM

i picked it up on Friday ..it didnt care for it at all..it just flat out did not make much sense to emafter the first 40 minutes or so

#16 of 19 RandallV

RandallV

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 04:19 AM

I saw this one with friends at a local theater. We loved it! Primer truly is a "thinking" picture. You will not be passively entertained.

April 19th can't get here soon enough.

#17 of 19 bill.M

bill.M

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 05:56 AM

my copy is for sale in sale forum if anyone is interested

#18 of 19 Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted June 22 2005 - 01:28 PM

Loved it!!! I am so glad I did a blind buy on this one. I actually missed it in the small release that it had, but it is a movie that I could easily watch over and over. In fact I did just that on the first viewing!

Ozzie

#19 of 19 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 23 2005 - 12:24 AM

I watched it (twice) last night and I was somewhat disappointed in the film. For me the lack of character development really hurt the film. I simply did not care for these characters, especially as a result of their decisions on what to do with the ability to go back in time.

I also felt that the last 15 minutes was, needlessly, too confusing and this is coming from someone who thought Mulholland Drive was the best film of its year. I don't mind re-watching a film a number of times in order to better understand a director's intent, but I don't want to do so just because the director decided to edit the film to shreds in the last 15 minutes (or I should say he storyboarded the film to look like it was edited to shreds). Making something confusing because you decided to omit lots of information does not make a film deep.

Forum Nav Content I Follow