What's new

XM to launch PGA Golf Channel (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
From WSJ:

The PGA TOUR And XM Satellite Radio Announce Long-Term Broadcasting And Marketing Pact

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
March 16, 2005 2:54 p.m.

WASHINGTON -- XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (XMSR) inked a long-term contract with PGA Tour that includes the right to exclusive broadcasts along with marketing opportunities.

Financial details weren't released, but a spokesman for PGA Tour said it will provide more programming details later and noted that the XM development won't affect the group's television deals with major broadcast networks and cable channels.

In a press release Wednesday, subscription-radio company XM, which recently raised rates and altered its premium content structure, said it will offer a dedicated golf channel. The channel will provide tournament coverage every week, beginning this summer, along with other daily programs related to the sport.

XM plans to produce dedicated programs for one new golf channel, which is scheduled to start this summer.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Oh no. More crap sports to degrade the bandwidth for the music channels.

When will the madness end?

And isn't golf boring enough on TV? How boring will it be on radio?

BrianAe

Second Unit
Haha I was actually wondering about this. I like golf and watching tournaments on TV but hate the golf channel on cable and can't even imagine a radio channel about golf.

Furthermore, I find this fairly disturbing. Here is why: Golf actually has a very small fan base. The only reason that it is profitable for the networks to show it is because of the high advertising rates they can charge, relative to its ratings because of how afluent the audience is. Translation to sat radio is that they are doing this for advertising potential, which I see as the latest of several data points to suggest that advertising is a big part of both XM and Sirius strategy going forward. I know many will doubt me, but I suggest that advertising will be back on the music stations of both services in limited quantity in a year or two. Probably only a minute or two per hour, but back none the less.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, the question will be, adding a PGA golf channel, which channel is XM getting ready to lose. I know they killed 1 for MLB...

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Simply unbelievable.

A radio Golf Channel. WoW. I won't be getting XM.

I was really interested in Sat Radio but the more I hear the less I like.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks