What's new

MGM's Fireball 500/ Thunder Alley & Panic In Year Zero/ The Last Man On Earth (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Two upcoming releases in the double feature Midnite Movies
line from MGM ( March 22 ) that I could not pass up. All four are 2:35 and 16x9 enhanced. The Last Man On Earth does have a Featurette entitled " Richard Matheson Storyteller: The Last Man On Earth ". For me Panic In Year Zero will be the hands down best of the bunch. Don't know anything about The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price but the Fireball 500 and Thunder Alley will help fill in my "cheese factor" collection. They might even be better than that but it will be nice to see them in their OAR regardless. I do not think either has been on video up until now. If anyone else wants to know I will give further details on how all four actually look in a day or so. All are offered in Mono sound. Keep them coming! :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait to pick up Panic in Year Zero/Last Man on Earth myself. Two outstanding films, especially Panic. Definitely gonna drop by Best Buy on Tuesday. They are BB exclusives, right?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
THE LAST MAN ON EARTH is a SERIOUSLY underrated post-apocalyptic horror/sci-fi film. An atypical role for Vinnie, which he performs admirably. I find this film to be far, FAR superior to THE OMEGA MAN, and am a proud owner of the widescreen laserdisc, which I held on to just in case the DVD is screwed up somehow, which seems to happen quite a bit in MGM's Midnite Movies line (MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, COMEDY OF TERRORS, and especially PSYCH-OUT are are all missing footage contained in the LDs, TALES OF TERROR is missing a color filter during a dream sequence which is intact in the LD, THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER now has different opening credits that say HOUSE OF USHER, etc.).

Brent, those titles may be available in Canada, but they are not available here in the States. I have looked everywhere and can find no one is selling those titles. Specifically "The Last Man on Earth/Panic Zero". You can't even pre-order them on any dvd websites that I have visited. If you buy a copy please let me know where to get it.

Thanks

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
"TALES OF TERROR is missing a color filter during a dream sequence which is intact in the LD, THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER now has different opening credits that say HOUSE OF USHER, etc."

You are misinformed; these were both corrections from errors/reissued prints used on the LD. The DVDs in both cases are correct.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'll be snatching up Last Man On Earth without hesitiation. Probably the closest we'll ever get to a faithful film version of "I Am Legend". I have never seen Panic in Year Zero, but from all the praise around here, I'm looking forward to it.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Sat back and watched Panic In Year Zero and can report that the image does look quite good overall - at least on my 26" tv. Audio was more than acceptable and so on the old 1-10 scale I would rate it 7 at least. Certainly should satisfy anyone who has had to watch it P&S all these years. A forgot that Frankie Avalon played the part of the son. Anyway, next is The Last Man On Earth. Also, just in case some of you might be wondering Fireball 500 looks pretty good too. And naturally Frankie sings a couple of tunes and one can spot a few of the previous beach movie gang in it here and there, most notably Harvey Lembeck. It is definitely of a more mature nature than their previous films but still tame compared to today. Some good racing footage in it.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

do you really think anyone on this forum would get that joke besides me?

(i have to admit though... kinda funny :))

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Finished watching The Last Man On Earth and found it interesting - but I prefer the Omega Man myself - although it is obvious just how much the Omega Man was based on this film.Image was very good, the B&W elements looking quite pleasing overall. For those looking forward to seeing it I would say it is worth the wait. The Featurette runs approx. 6 minutes and seems to concern itself with how he ( Matheson ) set about writing the script.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't bought any of these midnight movies yet, other than "Countess Dracula", which I got in a pawn shop but haven't watched.

Seeing all the raves,I'm gonna have to get my hands on some of these, that said, are there any titles I should avoid due any errors? I thought that "Invasion Of The Bee Girls " (I might be wrong on the title) was missing some nudity that can be found on public domain films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks