What's new

SVS DSP subs soon?? maybe?? (1 Viewer)

Christian M

Agent
Anybody know of the possiblity of svs making/releasing a dsp powered sub? Something along the lines of the axiom ep500/600? I also heard that HSU is working on such a project. Or perhaps a single band PEQ such as on the rocket UFW-10.

Would be awesome....

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne is also going to come out with a separate product for DSP'ing a sub ($600?), and Rocket (AV123) is supposed to have one too ($300 manual, $400 auto). The blurb I saw about Rocket was that it's R-DES or something. (Not SOS. ?)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
SVS already has subs with single band PEQ, and probably working on including a more robust system since that seems to be the way the industry is headed.

I thought the Velodyne unit was going to be $499. I think it is a 7-band PEQ, and will be automatic.

The Rocket ULW-10 has a single band auto EQ, the SOS...which can also be bought seperately from other sources for $300. like Lee posted.

R-DES is a standalone 4-band(I think) PEQ, and not automatic.

This is the press news about Hsu that I believe Christian is refering to:
http://www.lyrtech.com/investors/det...nt=191&types=N

Christian M

Agent
Interesting stuff. I wasn't aware the unit in the rocket sub could be purchased seperately... I did know about the sing PEQ on the svs but I was looking for something more along the automatic lines.

Curtis - yeah, that's the press release. Kind of vague but nevertheless, it could be interesting to see if anything (worthwhile) materializes out of that.

Thanks!!

PS - does anyone have any experience or in-depth knowledge of how the axiom dsp subs work? Do they work that much better with the dsp? $1150 sounds like a lot but if you factor in an outboard PEQ (BFD, SOS) and the time it may take to get what you want, $1150 could not be so bad (depending on the sub).

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator

Thats interesting. Curtis do you know if this technology is going into the new model they are shipping in June? I was lucky enough to get a good listen to a Velodyne DD-15 and no doubt the DSP control at the listening seat produced good results. If Hsu can get this sort of thing down to more affordable prices it will be worth a look.

By the way Curtis since you took the brunt of the advert backlash, do you know what ever happened to the Hsu advertisement (forum sponsorship) that Peter and Parker where discussing? I have seen no more about it, so it looks like Peter was just thinking about it. For me as a duel Hsu owner and supporter thats a little disappointing.

PC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Paul,

The only thing I know about the Hsu and the DSP technology and Hsu is what is in the press release. Dr. Hsu did mention using DSP technology in the future when I purchased my VTF-3 two years ago.

As for the Peter and Parker issue. I emailed Peter yesterday, and he said he had not heard from Parker since emailing him last week. Hopefully they will get together soon.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Cheers Curtis. I have become a real fan of Hsu's subwoofers and Ascend speakers, so if you hear anything more on this DSP thing let me know.

Glad to hear Hsu has not abandoned HTF as it sounded like Parker wanted to clear up the off limits to Hsu advertising rumor. Hsu just doesn't have a high profile in this forum as its mainly SVS and their owners who post, so IMO it sure would be good to see some more recognition for Hsu here.

PC

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Sorry for the dumb question, but can anyone break down what exactly the S.O.S.'s do and when would you want to use one.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
The S.O.S. is designed to remove the largest measured peak in your subwoofer's response. It contains its own signal generator, comes with its own microphone. You hook it up on the RCA connection between your receiver and subwoofer. You put the microphone at your seated listening position. A series of tones will be heard(it can get quite loud, so I would recommend turning down the sub's volume knob). When it is done, a Green CAL light is turned on to show that it completed successfully. You can switch the filter it creates in or out of the circuit easily. It uses an analog filter, so there is no processing delay. To measure the difference, you will need some tones to play through your receiver, an SPL meter and write down your results with the filter in and out. Once the SOS is set, you should recalibrate your system volume levels, since removing the peak may cause your sub to drop in volume.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"SVS already has subs with single band PEQ, and probably working on including a more robust system ... "

Probably.

We've never been slaves to fashion though so it'll be interesting to see where the R/D in this arena (under way for over two years) takes us. "DSP" has to be the solution to a problem, not just something looking for one.

Ron
SVS

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Very true.

Velodyne uses DSP very well. I wonder why Axiom does not extend their use of it further for room-correction.....they might, since the amp does have a USB connection.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would assume it means the largest deviation from flat along the frequency sweep. A step up, but I would want to be able to do more than that myself if I ever go EQ on my sub that is. I get a spike right at my crossover point for sure, beyond that, I just still have not given my sub a proper shakedown, pretty darn happy with the thing is why I never did it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At $269 for the SOS, wouldn't a BFD would be both more useful at less than half the price? Yeah, you have to do it manually, but that's still a very big chunk of change.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
John, You're correct. Though the SOS is easy for ANYONE to use. It's also extremely small. Don't forget to add the cost of a new microphone to that BFD, and some measuring software, as well as a PC to run it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks