Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Red Banding and the Dish Network

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   John Allison

John Allison

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 19 2001 - 01:19 PM

Does anyone subscribe to the Dish Network and own a front projector?

I have some very noticeable banding on anything red. I thought it was my projector or scaler, but someone just told me they have it on their TV. It looks like jaggies on anything with a red diagonal edge. A good place to see it is on Dish's logo. I really don't see it on a regular TV, but it's very evident on a *large* picture. I only see it with red objects.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Jon_T

Jon_T

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 19 2001 - 02:42 PM

This is known a "red jaggies" among Dish Network subscribers. They are common with models 3700 and 4700 receivers that were manufactured before December of 1999. Dish will replace the receivers for free. Here is more info on the subject. http://echostar.swiki.net/16

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   John Allison

John Allison

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 19 2001 - 03:16 PM

Thanks,

That explains why my tv's don't have it. It's not because the screen is smaller, it's just because they have different receivers.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted January 19 2001 - 06:35 PM

This seems to be happening with a lot of digital media these days. My Shaw Digital Cable terminal experienced the red banding problem on certain channels, and even Home Theater Hi-Fi reported this problem with a fair number of DVD players. (I've seen it on the Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card myself)

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted January 21 2001 - 02:08 AM

Awesome! I have a 4700 and two 3700s that all do the same thing.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted January 21 2001 - 02:14 AM

I have yet to read on this forum if the updated receivers really work?

------------------
Regards,
Todd

LD's / E-Quip / DVD's

Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted January 21 2001 - 02:22 AM

Actually, I have a 4700 and two 2700s. Does anyone know if Dish will replace the 2700?

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   John Allison

John Allison

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 21 2001 - 08:27 AM

I know the jagged edges are gone with a newer 4700. I have a 4700 made within the last 8 months which I had running a small TV in the exercise room. I swapped it out with the problem receiver in my theater. Jaggies are gone, in other words all the red edges are now smooth. I can still see slight banding or horizontal lines on solid red areas that have a diagonal edge but it's a lot better than it was. Also, I'm looking at a 5 foot tall picture.

Regards,
John

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert G

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted January 21 2001 - 10:18 AM

A HUGE thank you to HTF and you guys on this thread. I have been bothered by the "jaggies" for a while now. Over the last year I have replaced S-video cables, replaced all RG-59 with RG-6, and got rid of all diplexers in my system trying to rid myself of the jaggies. Of course, nothing worked. Although, I think the RG6 straight from the dish to the receiver helped the overall picture.

I just got off of the phone with dish network. They told me that they could not do anything because my equipment was out of warranty. So needless to say I got upset. Posted Image I told them of all my trials and tribulations and how much money I spent to do this. I also told them that they new of the problem and did not bother to publish it so they should be liable. So, I got put on hold once again. But this time a new, very polite lady told me that my new receiver would be at my door in 7-10 days and to please return the old one with the free shipping tags that will be in the box for the new receiver.

Needless to say, I will be one happy camper if this all works out. Thanks again folks. Posted Image

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Wayne Clark

Wayne Clark

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted January 22 2001 - 06:29 AM

Don't you just hate the fact that you have to get good and pissed off before people will fix something that is their fault to begin with? Yeah, you feel better when all is said and done, but you would have felt good if they fix your problem in the first place.

------------------

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert G

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted January 22 2001 - 08:05 AM

Yeah it does suck that you have to get mad first. But, if I had been dealing with local cable services I'm sure I would still be pissed. They really stunk when I was dealing with them. Hopefully this will all work out without me having to get mad again. Posted Image

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted January 23 2001 - 02:09 AM

Wayne, how long did you wait on hold? I just hung up because I was on hold for over an hour before I even spoke to anyone.

------------------

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   WallyB

WallyB

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 23 2001 - 07:01 AM

I had my 4700 replaced last year for this problem. I got mine initially the week they came out and noticed the "jaggies" problem. I called a toll-free # and they replaced mine free of charge - they even paid to have the old one shipped back. I'd say that I'd had mine for 18 months when I had it replaced. They gave me no hassle.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Eric Harrison

Eric Harrison

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted January 24 2001 - 04:22 AM

What is the 1-800#?

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert G

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted January 24 2001 - 03:05 PM

I already received my new receiver. Wow! It cured the "red jaggies". I called them Sunday and my new receiver was at my door this morning. I couldn't believe that it was so fast and that it really cured the problem. Thanks again HTF.

There # is 1-800-333-DISH. Another # that may get a quicker response is 1-888-220-3474.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff O.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted April 04 2001 - 05:13 AM

Once again HTF comes through. I would also like to thank you guys for bringing this problem to my attention. My 4700 receiver also had this problem. After reading this thread I called Dish Network and they agreed to replace my receiver (under warranty, $15.00 for shipping). In short, I just got the replacement, a 4900, and the problem is solved. Thanks again guys.

Jeff

------------------

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted April 05 2001 - 03:04 PM

A few questions;
A) what is the diff between a 4700 and a 4900?
B) was the replacement unit in as good or better condition as the one you sent back? Was it NEW?
C) was it worth the time and trouble if you do NOT have a proj? lets say a tv or rptv?
D) what is the original warranty period?

PLMK-Thanks

------------------
Regards,
Todd

LD's / E-Quip / DVD's

Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff O.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted April 06 2001 - 02:47 AM

Todd,
I will try to address the questions that you asked.

1) I am not sure what all of the differences are. What I do know is that the 4900 is open TV compatible (for whatever that is worth). The 4700 was supposed to be upgradeable to open TV, but as far as I know it never was. The menus are also different on the 4900. Personally, I like them better.

2) The replacement unit said refurb. But, as far as I can tell it is in "new" condition.

3) There was really no time or trouble. I just called Dish, they had me try a few things (swap cables) and then gave me a new number to call to get the replacement. They sent out the new unit Fed Ex 3-day, with a return slip for the old unit. If you have the problem it is quite noticeable, especially, for instance on the red Dish logo. My TV is a Tosh 36" direct view. I did not notice it when using the RG6 output to the TV. It appeared only when using composite or S-Video outputs. So if you are not using these it may not be noticeable. But, if you plan on it in the future, why not take care of it now.

4) I believe the original warranty is 1 year.

Jeff

------------------