Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TiVo to Make Customized Version for Comcast

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn

Second Unit

• 354 posts
  • LocationNorth Conway, NH

Posted March 15 2005 - 04:39 AM

According to an AP story by ANICK JESDANUN running on Yahoo:

I'm looking forward to this. I only hope that the Tivo unit will record HD and also maintain current features; like the ability to remove unwanted channels from the scolling guide, a list of favorites, full show descriptions, etc. None of these features are offered on the DVR I rent from Comcast here in New Haven.

The full story can be found here: http://news.yahoo.co....e/tivo_comcast

Jean Louise, Jean Louise stand up; Your father's passing.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Ed Faver

Ed Faver

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 03:53 PM

I'm looking forward to this, too. I had a TiVo for about a week before the 6412 became available in my area. SO, the TiVo went back to Circuit City (where I experienced their great no-questions-asked return policy) and in went the 6412. While I have no real gripes with Comcast's interface with their DVR, my short experience with TiVo convinced me of their superiority. Ultimately, it's a minor thing in my house. My tech-Luddite wife was able to access programs off the DVR with very brief phone guidance from me. I will welcome the TiVo, but I'll do fine until it gets here in '06.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted April 05 2007 - 07:56 AM

From everything I've seen the software is ready, and the Motorola boxes should be all set to get the TiVo upgrade (after they mail you the new remote) Anyone at all have this yet? I call my comcast reps at least once a month to find out if I can sign up but havent heard anything in nw suburban Chicago.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   orestes

orestes

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted April 13 2007 - 03:12 AM

I called comcast in my area to find out about this TiVo thing which is all over the internet, but neither the rep nor tech persons at comcast over the phone knew anything about it or seemed to care. When I asked if the current DVR had the capability to download or stream video to my computer, I was told that not such a feature is available. This is something that Tivo 2 offers but not Tivo 3. So I told them I did not want to order anything. I do have comcast digital + hdtv, but unless comcast DVR come of age, I will not get the service at all.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted April 14 2007 - 12:43 AM

Even the comcast tivo isnt goign to have the downloading to your computer feature. HOWEVER I have seen guides to setting up the firewire port on the DVR to work with a pc. so if thats what you want you can do it now, Comcast just isn't going to tell you about it.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 06:07 AM

The IEEE ports are active on the box's, but not fully supported by Comcast. meaning they wont troubleshoot any issues you have by using them.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 21 2007 - 06:27 PM

The Motorola HD-DVR with TiVO software was demonstrated at CES this year and is fully functional as a basic DVR now. So far it only runs on the Motorola HD boxes, which means that former Adelphia customers with Scientific Atlanta DVRs will have to swap hardware. The Comcast box will not support home networking or file sharing - but neither does the HD TiVo-3, or any of the TiVO DirecTV DVRs. The SA boxes were capable of sharing shows, but Adelphia never implemented that feature in my area, so I'm not holding much hope out for Comcast in that regard. Still, as an ex-TiVo user I can hardly wait for these new DVRs to arrive.

When I checked on this a few months ago, the local Comcast office told me the roll-out was scheduled for July. In the same e-mail I had asked about additional HD channels and they said they had no information.

Here's the e-mail I got the other day in response to my latest query:

Of course, this is the same Comcast that cut over to a new channel line-up without any advanced notice apart from an advertisement in the local newspaper (to which I don't subscribe.) No inserts in bills, no e-mail, no announcement on their website. In fact, you coudn't even get a channel listing on their website. (Either of their websites, actually, since the channel change was the last phase of the transition from Adelphia to Comcast. But nobody had updated the Adelphia site in about 2 years, while they were in bankruptcy, and Adelphia customers couldn't even register to use the Comcast site until 3 months after the line-up change.)

On the other hand just, this weekend I discovered that they had quietly added Universal HD, National Geographic HD and A&E HD to my channel line-up, also with no notice whatsoever. So sometimes there are good surprises. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted April 22 2007 - 12:43 AM

They can't. The network that Scientific Atlanta box's work on was built by SA. It's not compatible with Motorola hardware. The rumblings I've heard however is that an SA TiVo upgrade was going to be worked on at some point also. Keep in mind, Motorola is going to be deploying Cable Card set top box's for customer to purchase, then you can get a cable card. Much like the TiVo Series 3 (The M-card should be out fairly soon too for PIP/Dual Tuner capabilities). If Cable Card 2.0 was out, I think I would get a TiVo Series 3. For now I'll wait it out. I think Scientific Atlanta will also be rolling out Set Tops for sale also. because of the FCC ruling for July 07.

Comcast is slow in fixing the problems with the moto box's. I cant stand that after I delete a recording from a series Ive set up that it re-records because the guide doesn't say "repeat". This is why I cant wait for the TiVo upgrade also. Not only that, but if the Moto box craps out, Im screwed, no way to get my recordings back, plus the hard drives are too damn small for HD. please Comcast just activate the SATA ports on the back, so I can have my own reliable hard drive back up.

As far as HD channels Comcast has said that they plan on adding about 8-10 non sports hd channels (since those are what has been focused on lately) by years end. However, in the areas that are part of the Yankee's footprint. YES-HD will be added if not already to balance how the other parts of New England have NESN-HD. They plan on adding HD channels such as Food Network, A&E, HGTV next (keep in mind, those channels arnet 100% going to be added. But those were some examples Ive heard) Personally I hope they get F/X, Sci-Fi and the History Channel. (I need MHD like I need a hole in the head, the programming is so crappy). If you want specific channels added, you have to call them, and have them send in a channel request form. It goes to their marketing dept. huge demand for a channel gets them to look at getting the channel added and getting a contract to carry it in their regional markets.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 22 2007 - 03:40 AM

Cable Card or no cable card, there is no way I can afford to drop $1400 on a pair of TiVO S-3s plus their monthly service fees and the cost of the Cable Cards in order to basically duplicate what I have now. If I can get a TiVO interface on a Moto or SA box with a true "Season Pass" and the other basic TiVO features I'll be very happy. Regards, Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users