What's new

Rock n Roll hall of Fame-WHAT THE HELL? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am not a big fan of the place but on the whole I agree with the early choices but when Percy Sledge gets in and not the Sex Pistols?
Percy Sledge has a wonderful voice and a great song but I wouln't put him in the Rock n Roll part of my collection.
He is a rock influence no question...just like the Ojays but Soul or R & B is a different catagory.
The Flamingos were OK, I even have a few of their records but they were DO WOP not rock at all

Great Rock Bands off the top of my head not in there include:
The Cure
The Jam
Only the Clash have been accepted.

When I was at the museum I wandered onto the floor where normally people don't go (I tend to do that)
It was the Rock n Roll 'Board Room'and I started reading the list of 'Top Donors'.
When I hit BROOKS BROTHERS (As in the suits no Rock & Roll performer would ever wear);I knew something was wrong.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Don't bother -- trying to figure out why deserving acts are overlooked by the Hall is a great way to give yourself an ulcer for no reason. They honor barely remembered artists who are only tangentially rock-related like Gene Vincent, but not a single metal band, and hardly any progressive rock? Is Brenda freakin' Lee more important to the history of Rock 'n' Roll than Ozzy Osbourne, Kiss, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest? Was Little Willie John more influential than Yes or Rush?

They have an incredible bias towards R&B and soul from the '50s and '60s. They also feature a lot of blues and rockabilly artists as well. They seem to like artists who influenced rock as much as artists who actually perform rock.

IMO, they've pretty much played out the '50s and '60s artists and should start looking to the '70s. They're probably afraid of a backlash when they start inducting disco groups. :)

Their website is a pain the tuchus to navigate, too. The full list of inductees is
here.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Cure and Jam Great? Wow! Sex Pistols are rock? Your kiding right? When rock and roll was trying to open the door,people like Sledge was all there was and kept the door open for advancement. Yes,BL is more important then Kiss ans Ozzy. JP and IM,come on. I guess its kinda like the walk of fame,anybody gets a star now.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wow -- that may be the least coherent post I've ever read on this forum. The appreciation for rock history is matched only by the spelling ability.
:rolleyes

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Is this a classroom or a forum? You dont worry about my spelling and i wont worry about you and belive me,i wont. Go review a DVD.:b :D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Don't you know? Rock critics think Progressive Rock sucks. :rolleyes

At the very least, Rush should be in the HOF. Considering how many bands have listed Rush as an infuence...

Jason

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

People can be forgiving when it comes to bad spelling, but Aaron's main point was that your post doesn't make sense. It's exceedingly hard to figure out what you're trying to say...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

That depends on what year it is. Once upon a time they were praised so much that Punk & Metal became the backlash.
It is strange that they have Rock and Roll Influnces catagory which makes sense for early Blues, Country, jazz -that formed rock in the 50s; but by the time Percy Sledge came about; rock was around....and so was Soul. Some like Otis Redding could fit into both but not all.
It's like if they voted Gordy Howe into the Baseball Hall of Fame for influencing Baseball.
(What the hell were they drinking most people would say to themseves)
You are right about the Ulcer. I am not big on progressive rock but at least Yes and Rush without a doubt
Hey and don't forget that great metal band Jetfro Tull(sp?)
(The Grammies did that one and is so screwed up it makes the HOF actually seem ok in comparison)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

I could not disagree more. Priest and Maiden are forefounders for today's metal acts over here and across the pond. Don't dissallusion yourself. It's true.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Speaking of "WOW"....this is an amazing comment Aaron.

Is Gene "barely remembered" because you were 2 weeks old when he died or because you have little knowledge of rock history?

Max F

Second Unit
Two words:

Black Sabbath

One of the most influential bands to not be inducted. I'm really tired of all the punk bands getting in cause they were all darlings of the music reviewers.

Oh yeah, rock has a drummer, bass, vocals and guitar. Cure, sex pistols, etc. have these things. If you were an alien and came to earth you could not tell much difference between these bands and say the Rolling Stones.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I always wanted to start a topic on this, but never got around to it. One of the core problems is that everyone has their own definition of what "Rock" is, and there are so many splinter groups of Rock (Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, Progressive, Alternative, Pop, New-Wave, etc....)

There's no doubt in my mind that the Rock Hall has overlooked some very important acts while inducting some very minor groups with 1 or 2 hits (i.e. nearly every group that ever relased a Doo-Wop song is in).

That said, here's a short list of groups that I think are sorely missing.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Rush (Even though I don't really like them)
3. Genesis
4. Peter Gabriel (Where the hell is he?)
5. Sex Pistols
6. Ozzy (For his first 2 albums alone)
7. The Cure (Although they're only just recently eligible)
8. Brian Eno
etc..etc..etc...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

To be fair, the category was Best Hard Rock/Metal album. Still, it did look silly for Tull to win it.

I also agree that Black Sabbath should be in the HOF. The original Metal band.

Jason

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The former. (Hey, I was two weeks and one day old when he died! ;) Anyway, props to you for looking that up.)

Seriously though, no offense if you're a fan, but he had what, three hit songs? Was he especially innovative compared to his peers? I don't mean to knock on Gene, but I do question whether he belongs in the Rock Hall of Fame. I simply don't think that *every* artist who had a rockabilly or R&B hit in the late '50s belongs on the list (unlike the folks who actually make the decisions).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That was HILARIOUS. I remember how everyone expected Metallica to win, and they had them perform in preparation. Serves 'em right for losing their edge. ;)

Incidentally, I believe that was the question asked of the first guy who ever got to the million-dollar question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (Who won the first hard rock/ metal Grammy). I remember freaking out because I knew the answer and he didn't (he quit instead of guessing).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks