Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kelsey Grammer presents The Sketch Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 05:02 PM

Anyone else catch this show. I really enjoyed it. Some very fun, very quick sketchs, well done.

Critics are panning it, but I thought it was simple mindless fun.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,327 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 12:32 AM

Thumbs up here as well. 30 minutes of laughter, now u can't lose with that! I just hope it does well enuff to stay on.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,965 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 11:01 AM

I thought it was good silly fun.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,702 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 14 2005 - 11:36 AM

Hmm...the promos apparently haven't done it justice. Based on them the thing looks awful, like adults telling jokes learned from the 1st grade. Maybe I'll give it a try...

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 04:22 PM

I thought it was terrible. I saw that Paul F. Thompkins and Mary Lynn Rajskub and thought I'd be in for something a fraction as funny as "Mr. Show" and what I experienced was far worse than the worst of "Mr. Show". I hear this stinker is only on for 6 weeks, which is about 6 weeks too long. Hey, guys, a comedy sketch can be longer than 10 seconds!
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 04:24 PM

Are you serious? "A room for two knights"?

Quote:
like adults telling jokes learned from the 1st grade.

It was.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
I thought it was terrible. I saw that Paul F. Thompkins and Mary Lynn Rajskub and thought I'd be in for something a fraction as funny as "Mr. Show" and what I experienced was far worse than the worst of "Mr. Show". I hear this stinker is only on for 6 weeks, which is about 6 weeks too long. Hey, guys, a comedy sketch can be longer than 10 seconds!
I agree with everything you said. I hated the pacing; I honestly felt like I was watching Hee-Haw.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 04:48 PM

I've actually seen quite a few shows that are much worse than this one. I was pleasantly surprised to see "Chloe" from "24" on the show and a couple of the sketches made me laugh. At least with so many short sketches most people are bound to find something funny and you don't really have to invest a lot of time watching. And if a particular idea doesn't strike your fancy, it won't be on the screen for more than a couple of seconds.

I'll probably PVR it and at least skim it for the duration. This is probably going to be a hit or miss situation for a lot of viewers. For me there were more hits than misses.

A pleasant diversion to me. Not "Citizen Kane" but, then again, I wasn't expecting such.
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 05:12 PM

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised to see "Chloe" from "24"
Mary Lynn Rajskub of "Mr. Show" fame. She was hilarious on that show, so I was hoping for more of that type of humor. You are correct, I did find some skits funny, like the one with Kelsey spilling his guts to the psychiatrist, but overall I just felt the pacing was like being hit over the head with a sledgehammer.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 05:16 PM

Yep, "Laugh-In redux"

Posted Image

I've got all the "Mr. Show" episodes on DVD but haven't gotten to watch them yet. Thanks for letting me know that "Chloe" is on that show. Now I'll have to move it up toward the top of the pile (and it's a very tall pile of media!)

Posted Image
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Nicodemus

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 07:05 PM

I liked at laughed out loud for a few times. The humour is very British so I can understand if someone doesn't like it. I don't know about States but british sitcoms are frequently shown here in Finland.

Forum Nav Content I Follow