Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HELP! Smoke alarm keeps ringing at random intervals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 02:44 PM

Okay, for some reason the smoke alarm is ringing at random intervals for no reason...

I opened them up, turns out they dont use batteries, they're powered by a plug and wire that goes up into the ceiling, so i know they're not low on battery.

There is no smoke whatsoever around any of them.

Any ideas?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 02:53 PM

Depends on what type of smoke detector it is. The sensor may be a bit dusty. Try a search on google about how smoke detectors work and look for the sensor in it.

Take a look at this site. It might just need to have the dust blown out of it.

Smoke Detector

If you have the Ionization type of detector, consider replacing them with the photelectric. They are more reliable when it comes to smoldering type fires, which happens mostly in homes today. Ionization type detectors are better for flaming fires, but usually something like a couch or fabric fires smolder before they burst into flames.

Photoelectric also tend not to give as many false alarms as Ionization detectors.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:16 PM

They wouldn't by any chance also be carbon monoxide detectors? Posted Image That's gotta be annoying, good luck with it.
Kyle McKnight

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:22 PM

Im thinking it might be dust, the one upstairs is pretty gross looking... Im not sure which type it is, but i cant open it (its self powered), and it says do not open because of radioactive material

hehe yeah it would suck if they were carbon monoxide detectors... reminds me of a line in garden state:
"I had to unplug the carbon monoxide detector, it kept goin off all night"

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:43 PM

Even some of the a/c powered detectors have batteries to keep them going in a black-out, so I wouldn't complete rule out a low battery warning. Didn't they leave you manuals for these things? Do you rent or own? Can you call the landlord for information?

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 07:06 PM

I vacuumed them out, no luck yet...

It says on the back "Warning, will not work in a power outage", so that rules out the battery (along with it saying do not open the unit).

No manuals i know of...

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 07:58 PM

Nick,

I don't really have any specific ideas on what could be wrong, but I've found most need replacing in 7-10 years, especially the AC powered detectors. If you end up buying another, make sure you get a model with a battery back-up. Our local codes require back-ups in all AC-powered detectors. The back-up can be a lifesaver-literally.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 01:54 AM

Yes, battery backup is a must in smoke detectors. If yours don't have a backup, it might be a good reason to replace them anyway. Mine are AC powered and also have a battery backup. Definitly needed that backup during the hurricane.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 05:45 AM

Aight thanks guys ill look round for replacements..

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 12:47 PM

I have a smoke detector in my cupola - it is 24 feet off the ground. it has a battery in it.

After hurricane charley the power was out for over a week.

Now the goddam thing keeps chirping and I can't reach it with my 13' extension ladder to disconnect the damn thing or replace the batter.

Luckily we're not living there until the house is restored. - We just started last week after waiting SIX MONTHS for the insurance money. I'd still be waiting for it if it weren't for some very good fortune and, well, lets just say Tom Gallagher and his staff are me heros.

Now, when I replace it, what should I consider, a 12' extension cord for the battery?

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 02:16 PM

I'd move it. I wouldn't want a smoke alarm that high off of the ground because by the time the smoke got there, the room would be toast! Put it on a wall where anyone can reach it with their hand or put 2 in.

Glenn

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 15 2005 - 01:55 PM

I think it is some sort of code that it has to be there.