• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 StephenGencs

StephenGencs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 05:53 AM

On Friday I got a 5.1 set up finally. I have had a decent Marantz SR-6200 receiver for some time now, but never any surround speakers....

So I set up the speakers and ran all my cables and now my receiver keeps shutting off. I am assuming there is a short somewhere, or it is going into "safe mode". I have checked all the connections and cant seem to find what the problem is.

Anyone have any advice....

Thanks
Gencs
"I'm trapped in time and I don't know what to do"

#2 of 8 AlbertD

AlbertD

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 06:51 AM

I would suggest disconnecting all the speaker wires to the receiver and then plug and test them one at a time until you find the short.

#3 of 8 StephenGencs

StephenGencs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 07:28 AM

thanks...
I am thinking that I may have found the problem....
and the error is so stupid, i am not going to post my idiocy...

gencs..
"I'm trapped in time and I don't know what to do"

#4 of 8 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 11:21 AM

Oh, just post it and don't worry about it. You'll probably help someone.

#5 of 8 MikeGee

MikeGee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:26 PM

i'm guessing it was a reverse wire somewhere down the line..
I had my 1014 turn off when one of the speakers got disconnected (after a week of breaking it in.. then finally testing it out.. knocking the speaker right off the bookshelf and disconnecting it..)

#6 of 8 DavidAM

DavidAM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:29 PM

I'd like to hear the problem. Mine recently started doing the same thing, but I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it yet.
Gamertag = Ferguson77

#7 of 8 MikeGee

MikeGee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 11:00 AM

I was thinking one reason the receiver could do this is at high volumes there is not enough power feeding into all of electronics and it shuts down as a safty feature... am i way off base here?

#8 of 8 Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 01:52 PM

Receivers have protective circuits to shut down to protect the transistor finals. Too much current results in too much heat and without a protective circuit to save the transistors, you have a big repair bill.

Assuming the circuit is working correctly you need to determine the reason for excess current. Most likely a shorted wire. Keep in mind that at low volume levels such a short may not generate enough current to cause the receiver to go into its protective shut down mode. I once drove a nail into one of the speaker leads and only on certain loud volume demands would the receiver trip off.

Using low (4 ohm) impedance speakers or both the A and B speakers on at the same time (if you have a set of B speakers hooked up) might cause too much current demand on the receiver. Or it could be a shorted wire as I experienced.

By disconnecting all of the speaker wires and then reconnecting one at a time, you will eventually find the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users