What's new

Has www.dvdangle.com gone under? (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Link Removed has been done for some time now. Will it be coming back or have they closed shop? I used to review DVDs for them and I'm a bit worried they're gone for good.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Yeah, they had that big push for donations last year to keep 'em running, and they only received a fraction of their hoped-for final tally, so the well must have finally run dry.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah and even before the "Server Crash" they were only updating the site about once a month, so it did seem like trouble was ahead.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Pretty sure it's dead - a few of its reviewers have moved on to other sites. Too bad - its webmaster was a good guy who really helped us out back in our early days.

But it looks like DVD Angle is on the list of once-prosperous, now dead sites. Speaking of which, does anything ever occur on The Big Picture? The site still exists, but it doesn't look like they've posted a new review since last June. Or are they only available to "paid members"?

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
The Big Picture looks kind of dormant - though their news page has a February 2005 entry. It used to always be a very informative web site. I suggest that they try a new site design if they have the means to do so.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I used to visit this site all the time. Up until it went down, I'd still browse it for its great reviews.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think they shot themselves in the foot when they went to their membership system. With all the free sites out there, it's tough to get people to pay - a few dedicated followers will do so, but not many.

It IS bizarre that they occasionally update the news on the front page. As far as I can tell, they only touch some parts of the front page. It's like they refuse to say die but also don't actually want to put any effort into the site.

Any site that hasn't posted a new review in nine+ months needs to let go...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Yep. It's gone. But fortunately, I kept all the DVD-V and DVD-A reviews I did for them - now I'm looking for a place to archive 'em. One of the benefits of being a digital pack rat! Unfortunately, some of the writers lost *everything* when the server crashed.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
I reviewed a handful of discs for DVD Angle-- if anyone comes up with an archive solution, I'd be glad to contribute (I kept copies).

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I am pretty sad to learn that DVD Angle is gone for good. 'Though I hoped for a temporary server crash, I could not help dreading their demise.

For his web master and all of you who used to rewiew discs for them, well, thanks a lot for a very good, very solid work. I always found DVD Angle's reviews to be some of the most thorough and reliable around the whole net.

I, for one, will be missing you. Well, I am, already.

My, it does not seem so long ago that DVD File ruled, DVD Rewiew was just behind, and all of us were flocking to these boards to read those looooong reviews by Ron. Now, my list of bookmarks is getting more and more outdated with each passing day, with links leading to nowhere.

Just hope the HTF and some other great sites like the Digital Bits or DVD Answers have a long, healthy life ahead yet. I would really hate to lose them. And I mean it.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Thanks Joshua for the link - many DVDAnglers will be happy to see that!

And on behalf of all the writers, thanks Jose for those kind words.

I, too, am sad to see that this site has finally gone under. A couple years back now, I was fortunate to meet Dennis Burger (VP) at a conference held by Dolby Labs in San Francisco. We talked a lot over the couple days we were there, and even did some sightseeing together since it was the first time out there for both of us. I always enjoyed their reviews and comments, they will be missed.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

So how does one find the reviews then? Clicking on the review links don't work since those pages no longer exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks