What's new

Video Quality DBS vs Cable (1 Viewer)

GaryCT

Auditioning
I'm sure this thread has been made long ago but I'm new and would appreciate your comments. I have regular cable (non digital in Seattle) and get very good reception (no ghosting) on my Elite 710. I think this is the limit of the NTCS signal, but I may be wrong.
Does dishnetwork (I can't get direct tv) really offer a better picture than my current cable service? Does it give you higher resolution or what? I'm aware the audio is better via DD but what about the picture. If I do go with a DBS system I'll bag my cable service and get dish network and there showtime/hbo HDTV feed and have a antanna installed on my roof to get local HD channel (there are alot in Seattle).
I'm just not sure if it is worth getting the DBS via dish network or go keep my cable service and add HDTV via local channels from my antenna.
I'm sure from a content perspective I'll get alot more with dishnetwork vs cable, but what about picture quality of non-hd programing?
all the best,
Gary

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
To put it as painlessly as possible, HELL YES :)it's better than standard cable. Satellite gives you about 400+ lines of resolution. Some channels are starting to artifact a little, but I think it's because of the compression being used to get all those channels in. Other than that the premium channels are absolutely fabulous.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

StephenL

Second Unit
The only way to be sure is to install Dish Network and compare its picture quality with cable on the same programs at the same time. When DirecTV began broadcasting local (Washington, DC) stations I compared the satellite picture quality with VHF received with my old roof antenna. VHF broadcasts had a better, more detailed picture.

Dan B

Screenwriter
One thing to keep in mind though is that artifacting can be very apparent on a large television with DBS (your 710 definitely fits into the large category). On a set 32" or smaller, DBS can come close to DVD. Above that, it's a mixed bag.
Having said that, you could not force me to go back to cable from DirecTV.
-Dan

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I couldn't live with DirecTV's grainy compressed picture on my 53" TV. With cable vs. DBS, it is the lesser of two evils. DirecTV has compression grain and cable has mulitpath ghosting and barely visible rolling bars (probably some sort of radio interference).

Shawn_S

Stunt Coordinator
On a set 32" or smaller, DBS can come close to DVD.
I agree with this statement. On my 27" TV, my wife said Dish looked like DVD
eek.gif
Shes not one to throw out winning statements like this about my electronics addiction. We are very pleased since we got Dish 2 weeks ago.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread