Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Amerisave Home Equity- any experience?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 02:18 PM

I recently moved into a new home in the ridiculously overpriced NoVA area. As such, I ended up with an 80/10/10 mortgage, to get a place I actually felt like driving home to after a 12-hour day.Posted Image

In any case, the 10% HELOC that's pre-packaged has a crappy rate (as they usually do, so my mortgage-broker friend tells me), and I want to fix that.
I'm getting jerked around at my local Bank of America (classic bait-and-switch), so I'm shopping the web.
I came across Amerisave, which is running Prime -.38% (life of loan), for 90% LTV, so their page says. Before I get into their application process, I was wondering if anyone had any other input or ideas, or dealings with Amerisave.

Thanks,

Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Denward

Denward

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 04:54 PM

I refinanced through Amerisave about 2 years ago. IIRC, the application process was very good. Everything was done via email and it went very smoothly. They sent someone to my home to fill out and sign closing documents, unlike other refis I've done where I've had to go to an attorney's office.

I chose Amerisave because their website made it extremely easy to compare rates on different combinations of years and points.

They are just a broker so my mortgage ended up with ABN Amro, an extremely large Dutch owned bank. Their website is mortgage.com and I've made good use of the loan info available there.

I would borrow through them again, but they no longer offer loans in my state.Posted Image

~Eschew obfuscation~

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 09:15 AM

Did you say the rate was Prime minus .38% fixed for the life of the loan. And, that's for a 90% LTV. I'm a Mortgage Broker that sounds too good to be true. What does your friend say. Can you give any other details.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 10:19 AM

Their web page says "life of line". Whether that's a typo or has meaning is another question. Mort

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 11:55 AM

It is possible to get a 30 year fixed rate loan for about 5.375 for a good sized loan. Maybe that's what they were quoting

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 02:58 PM

Jim- here's where I got that crazy idea.

http://www.amerisave...homeequity.html

The question I have is- why *won't* I qualify for the Premier HELOC, that would guarantee the best rates. From my POV, I have no reason not to, but I'm sure they'll come up with something. That's the "hook," I suppose.

I'm sure not keeping the Prime +1.5 for long. I'll just pay the damn thing off first.
-Owl Jolson

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 12:50 AM

OK I know where I went wrong. I interpreted the rate being fixed at the current prime rate less .38%. What is really happening is that if prime changes your rate changes, so your rate is not fixed. This is no big deal as most equity lines are structured like this. As to your qualifying I don't see why should'nt. Just get a copy of your credit report from your current lender and look at your scores. The only catch is if Amerisave insists you have a really high score

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 01:30 PM

Ok. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig for them, and see how it goes. Jim- I can't imagine that my FICO would be too low to get the best rate. We'll see, I guess.
-Owl Jolson

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 04:13 PM

Yes it means that your rate will float at .38 below prime. Prime is a good rate to follow and usually does not make drastic ups and downs. But your payment will vary.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 11 2005 - 04:24 AM

I knew this from the beginning, if that wasn't clear.
-Owl Jolson

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 11 2005 - 09:46 AM

Keep in mind the Fed has been in tightening mode for some time now. So each time they raise the Fed Funds rate by .25 the Prime will automatically raise too. Don't know if this is a big concern for you but it should be considered. In any case the deal Amerisave is offering is a lot better than BofA.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 12:32 AM

Most of the fixed HELOCs or 2nd mortgages in general that I can find, are in the 6.75-7.25% range. I know the rates are rising, but I intend to pay this HELOC down quickly, in about 4-5 years. As such, I think I might "beat the curve," if you will, on the rise in rates with a variable, since I'd be starting at 5.12 (Prime -.38), vs. 6.50 (Prime + 1.0) as BofA wants to give me, vs. what I currently have (Prime +1.5). Or, should I even bother trying to flip what I currently have? The interest savings is about $70/month going from 6.75% to 5.12%, and since both adjust, would stay that way. Even over a 4-5 year period, it looks like I'd save 2500-3000 in interest costs alone, if I'm figuring right. Todd
-Owl Jolson

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 01:49 AM

I'd say going for the Amerisave deal is your best move since your savings against BofA is guaranteed. I'm personally more of a cash flow guy so I would probably refi the entire note on a 30 year fixed.