What's new

B&K 507 vs. Outlaw 950 +Outlaw amp (1 Viewer)

Misa

Auditioning
I'm thinking about upgrading and was wondering what people thought between B&K 507 vs. a set of Outlaw separates, the 950 Pre with one of their amps (7100, or 750). The prices are pretty similar (the 7100 combo is actually quite a bit cheaper). This would be used exclusively for Home Theater (watching DVDs 5.1 is fine for now) running Def. Tech. speakers all around w/ an SVS sub.

I know the Def. Techs. can sound a bit bright so a warmer sounding receiver/pre would be nice. I really want this to be my last upgrade for a while.

Thanks,
Asim

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
I had a 307 hooked up to my Def Techs for a short time, about two years ago. It was fantastic. I can't imagine that you would not be seriously happy with a 507. Another great thing about B&K, is that they regularly offer updates for their equipment. I have no personal experience with Outlaw, but have heard nothing but good about them.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
All you have to do is look up the DAC's and the DSP engines of both and you will realize the B&K is a superior product over the Outlaw. Go with the B&K.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
No question the B&K 507 is a vastly superior product, and it can be upgraded. B&K advertises the 507 as the best AV receiver in the world and it certainly is one of the better ones available.

That said, you still might prefer the sound of the Outlaw combo.

Misa

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that the B&K has the upper hand. It's easier to demo too since they have it in a local shop and I don't need to pay for shipping or interconnects just to try it.

Any outlaw die hards out there?

The price I'm getting is around 2K for the series 1. Anyone know if that is upgradeable to series 2 or if that's overpriced for series 1?

Thanks again. Keep it coming.

-Asim

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
I have Outlaw separates (770 & 950). I love it, excellent bang for the buck. Demo both if you can. If you still can't decide just flip a coin.

Be content with what you can afford, you will go broke trying to find A/V perfection.

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
I previously was using a B&K Reference 20. It's now retired and boxed up. I decided to by the B&K Ref 50 instead of upgrading the 20. I have been very happy with both. The detail for both music and movies is excellent. I auditioned Sony, Denon, and B&K for about 3 hours in the store. The B&K won for the sound quality. It doesn't have many of the surrounds gimmicks as other manufactures. Believe me, they are not missed either.

Check out this site for comparisons:

http://www.prillaman.net/950_chart.html

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

No suprise, the 507 is a true high end reciever, one of the best you can buy. The Outlaw combo is good quality and well priced, but it is entry level separates. The 507 is 2-3 classes above the Outlaw combo.

I am pretty sure the 507 S1 can be upgraded to S2, but check the B&K website and talk to your dealer to confirm that.

Alan M

Second Unit
I just upgraded to the Outlaw 950/7100 to run my Maggies (4ohm),and am very pleased.Nice surround options,easy setup and Steve in customer service /tech support is terrific.
I havent heard the B&K,so cant comment.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

A friend of mine has the 950/750 combo, which I recommended based on his budget. We've even tried the 750 in my system, but my Sherbourn 5/1500A was much better, IMO. Like I said, the Outlaw gear is nice and a great value, but it is entry level, while the 507 (which I have also heard) is true high end.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the upgrade price to get the 507 to the series 2 will be $495. Added to what you said you could get a series one for, that isn't a deal as you can get a series 2 507 for the same price now, and not have the bother of sending it back to be upgraded.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I was cheking out both the 507 anf the Ref 50 pre/pro and noticed that both have firewire[or I link] on them,but no mention of it's use on the downloadable broschure,and even in the Ref 50's online manual.Is that socket enabled at all,and if yes can it be used for Hi-rez connection like SACD?
BTW what's the MSRP on those? Thanks!

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
The RS232 is enabled but not the firewire. I have the RS232 connected to my pc. It makes it very easy to setup during initial setup (everything on one screen). You can also control it during normal use from your pc.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Price wise it may be the same, but overall it's not really a fair comparison. Spec wise the 507 has the edge.

Misa

Auditioning
AlbertD,

Where can you get the 507 series 2 for $2500? Is it an authorized dealer (w/ warranty etc.)?

Thanks.

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
If you can get the series 2 for $2500 that is great deal. I got a good deal on my series 1 for $2400.

I would have no trouble recomending this receiver. I compared it to Denon,H&K,Rotel, and Yamaha and I love this unit.

Also, If anyone has anymore info about the version 2 upgrade I would love to hear about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks