Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF Review: Green Acres - The Complete Second Season

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 03:55 PM

Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 04:32 PM

Excellent review Jason! I have my set on order from Amazon along with Lost In Space season 3 vol 1. Both sets should be arriving later this week...I can't wait!
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,924 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 02:01 AM

Great episodes ahead! You haven't lived 'til you've seen Lisa Douglas as a high school cheerleader ("Hootersville, Hootersville!"), or falling off a balcony at the opera while suffering from memory loss! The surrealism of this show has never been equalled except perhaps by Night Court and Are You Being Served?. It's a miracle that CBS didn't interfere with the show's production until the very end, when it was cancelled- not for falling ratings, but part of the infamous CBS "rural purge" of 1970-71. As Pat "Mr. Haney" Buttram said, "They cancelled everything with a tree in it".

I'm looking ahead to the following season, when Arnold Ziffel falls for Cynthia Haney in a classic episode, as Lisa listens to Oliver tell the tragic tale of "Romeo & Julius". If you haven't met Cynthia before, well, she's quite a gal.......
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for the great review. Can't wait to get my 2nd season set from Amazon. My wife and I just finished watching season one a few weeks ago (we had started somewhat late). She had never heard of GREEN ACRES before, while I had become a fan in the seventies, watching reruns of the show on the American Forces Network TV station over here. But after a couple of eps, she was just as hooked as I am! Sure hope it won't take another year for MGM to release season three. I want them all! Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,919 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 09 2005 - 02:55 AM

Yes! This is a fave of mine. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 04:06 AM

While there aren't any extras, there is a PLAY ALL button that the first season didn't have. I was very happy to see that. Posted Image I like nonstop blocks of Hooterville goodness.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 10:33 AM

I remember laughing histerically the first time I saw this episode many years ago and you know I actually don't think I've seen it since then, I can't wait!

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 11:38 AM

It's really easy to see how Green Acres influenced other quirky sitcoms like The Simpsons and NewsRadio and Arrested Development in doing wild, surreal humor. There's a bit in one of the flashback episodes where every time we cut back to the present day, another character is listening to the story who wasn't there before; this is something The Simpsons has done a couple of times ("For no reason, here's Apu"). And of course Dave Foley of Kids in the Hall and NewsRadio is such a Green Acres fan that it became a part of his character on NewsRadio. It was a really underrated show that did things no other sitcom would do.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,847 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted March 10 2005 - 12:26 AM

Does anyone else notice a brief audio dropout in the "Wings Over Hooterville" episode around the 13:30 mark? I am trying to determine if I have a bad disc or if this is a mastering flaw. Since the disc does not contain subtitles or any other audio options, there is no way of knowing what Lisa's excised line is.
Gary

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,847 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted March 10 2005 - 11:56 PM

>> Bump << No one else noticed this? (see above)
Gary

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted March 11 2005 - 05:58 AM

Yes, i heard the audio dropout in that episode. It is not just your disc. Again, this is a wonderful series, absolutely surreal, and fun. The episode where Lisa plays GRANNY in the stage version of BEVERLY HILLBILLIES is one of the funnniest episodes ever. Welcome back to Hootersssssssssssville!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,847 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted March 11 2005 - 06:05 AM

Thanks, Jefferson!
Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users