Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Extending existing speaker wire lengths

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   carl_b_byrne

carl_b_byrne

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hi all, just a quick (stupid?) question. When I purchased my house, the rec room was pre-wired for a small wall mountable speaker system. Initially, it worked well, but now, for various reasons, the wire is too short. Is there anyway to extend the wires without causing too much signal loss? The only way I know how is to splice an extra length onto the cables, but will this damage sound quality? My receiver is currently at a weird angle and pushed far back which makes the wife unhappy because it looks crappy. I cannot rewire the room, unfortunately. Any options? Thanks in advance.Posted Image

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 07 2005 - 09:42 AM

Splice away, shouldn't cause any problem if you are only adding a few extra feet (not like 20' or something). Just make sure you make each connection solid and keep them well isolated from each other. Soldering would probably be the best, but a decent inline butt splice connector should do the trick. I'd avoid just twist and tape.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   carl_b_byrne

carl_b_byrne

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 10:02 AM

John...thanks so much! Where would I get such an animal like a "butt splice connector?" At the local radioshack?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 11:17 AM

yep, or any home improvement store. just make sure you get the right connector for your wire gauge. it will look something like this:

Posted Image