-

Photo

What's your experience with CD Wow! ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 05:43 PM

Just went to their site and they seem to have some great prices, and it's in English, so that's a big help. Posted Image

However, I'd like to get some feedback as to their service.

Are they prompt, do they only charge you when things ship, how are they on returns, legit copies and not bootlegs, etc.?

Thanx!

Dan

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis

Second Unit

• 491 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 08:57 PM

Quote:
Are they prompt, do they only charge you when things ship, how are they on returns, legit copies and not bootlegs, etc.

I ordered twice. The DVD I received were 100% legit.
They shipped within 48 hours, so I can't comment on whether they charge on order or after shipping.
The DVD arrived (in Belgium) within 10 days...

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 09:11 PM

-They charge when you order.
-Their customer service is excellent (e-mail reply usually within 24 hours).
-They're usually pretty quick with shipping things.
-No boots.
E-Mail | Collection

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony

Second Unit

• 446 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 02:30 AM

Used them for years, great, cheap and quick every time!

M

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 02:48 AM

Also been using hem for few years, never had a problem they didn't fix promptly. You're billed at the time of ordering.

M
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 03:53 AM

Looks good, guys! Thanks! I'm thinking of ordering Hero from them. Probably the Edko version since it seems to have better video than the Miramax fiasco (which isn't hard!) and I can compare their DTS-ES 6.1 track to the great DTS 5.1 track on the Miramax release.

Dan

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Runar_R

Runar_R

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 05:32 AM

In one word: Excellent
"These are the moments I live for.
I put up with all the other crap just to get seconds like this.
The moments when you know the world is a better place than advertised."
-Planetary, Warren Ellis

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 07 2005 - 06:15 AM

You shouldn't hesitate to use them, Dan. Their prices are great, they're customs-friendly, the discs are well-packaged and their customer service is the best I've ever come across. For example, if they send you a wrong or faulty disc, they send you the replacement with a stamped addressed envelope so you can return the first copy. The only downside is that they don't have the hugest selection of discs - which is a shame, because I'd make all my purchases from them if I could.

Go for it.Posted Image
I've been going to bed early . . .

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,347 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 07 2005 - 06:25 AM

Great site great prices, fast delivery, no I don't work there. Got the 2-disc Donnie Darko for a fiver from CD-Wow recently, post included. Only downside is they don't have a huge selection of dvd titles.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 07:16 AM

I've bought quite a few DVDs from them now. Fast shipping and great prices, with free shipping. Use this link to get $2 off each item.
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,499 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 07 2005 - 09:48 AM

Another happy customer here. Just recently I ordered a DVD that was lost in the mail and a replacement was immediately "despatched." Response to emails is very fast and they give you postage credit for returns. I've had a couple SNAFUS not related to the company and each time they pulled through with excellent response and service.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 04:24 PM

Their site from Hong Kong has more region 3 stuff. CD-Wow!

Does this site have any promos?

Dan

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Mike-McG

Mike-McG

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 04:41 PM

Just another opinion -

I've ordered from CD-Wow probably 15 times, and I am 100% happy with them. I had one problem, and my email was answered by someone within 3-4 hours, with an answer that specifically was written for my problem. Fantastic customer service, and the shipping is not only free...it's fast - considering it's from overseas. Posted Image

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 07:09 PM

Excellent store.

For customer service they have to be in my top 5 I've used in almost 10 years of surfing.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 08:26 PM

I have bought most of my Criterions from CD WOW. Excellent prices; fast shipping; I've never had a customs charge; they email you if a title has been delayed, etc.

They issue coupon codes quite frequently for £0.50-£2.00 and there used to be good discount links to the site for £1.50-£2.00 but many greedy assholes out there were over-using them zealously and were multi-linking/using codes and getting £5.00 off. Ridiculous. So that has stopped completely now, although I have heard that some links are out there, but those who have them are not sharing them - and quite right too!

One caveat: they don't stock enough R1 titles - no Image Entertainment, Media Blasters, Synapse, etc and there are quite a few catalogue titles from the Big Studios missing. Other than that, they are excellent.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 08:33 PM

Just to endorse what's been said above - excellent. I had one problem with an order - I'd accidentally ordered two copies of the same title. Entirely my fault, but CDWow took one copy back without any problem and sent a nice personal email as well.

Their stock can be a bit limited in some areas (I endorse what Gordon says about R1 titles) but in others they are superb (for Brits, generally CDWow offer the cheapest Criterions).

I'd also add that it's well worthwhile looking round their bargain basement and special offers pages once in a while - there can be some real bargains, particularly amongst R3 movies. Also, some of their recommended titles can be unexpected gems.

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 09:22 PM

Complete Listing of CD-WOW Criterions

Many great 1-disc SEs are £12.99

Slacker, a superb 2-disc deluxe set, is also £12.99.

The Battle of Algiers, which wasn't listed last month for whatever reason, is now up with a £17.99

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 04:11 AM

The current coupons, vouchers and other deals for all the CD-Wow sites, including which has the best price, can be found on dvdbargain.net. I've only needed to use the HK site once, as I've found everything else I've wanted on the .us site. I always get everything in a week from Hong Kong. R3 version of Kung Fu Hustle on the way right now. Posted Image
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Sten F

Sten F

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 07:31 PM

One of THE worlds best online stores around. I cannot stress how great this place is.

- Super service.
- Quick to reply quiries.
- Fast to ship out orders.
- Has low prices.
- Offer both Region 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 0
- Offer nice Limited Editions from Region 3
- Has the best e-voucher & rebate links I´ve ever seen.
- Exchange any faulty product in a flash, and mail you an e-voucher to cover the postage.
- In case they lower product price after one has placed a pre-order they´ll also mail one an e-voucher.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   DieterW

DieterW

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 12:20 AM

I have good experiences ordering from CD-WOW (circa 15 orders). I use the German CD-WOW site since it is one of the cheapest and also allows bank transfer payments. It takes a few days until the payment is accepted though. I have had a few problems with bank transfer payments to CD-WOW lately. Although the payment is made correctly, the order is never accepted by CD-WOW (they accept the order after the payment has been made). But a friendly e-mail to customer service has always solved this problem so far. I ordered from the US site once using CC payment, and the order was shipped the day after.

Very important for EU customers: they send their products from within the EU (i.e. no supplementary taxes/charges). I ordered The Yakuza Papers box set from the US site and it was put in the mail in Luxemburg. Other DVDs have been sent from Sweden. Packaging is OK too.