-

Photo
- - - - -

Could anyone confirm if Alan Alda or Jimmy Smitts are listed in TWW's opening credits

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 of 73 Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 10:21 AM

please... Or are they just guest stars? By opening credits, I'm talking about the main musical number where the rest of the regular casts are listed (Martin Sheen, Allison Janey, etc.)

Thanks!

#2 of 73 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 01:02 PM

not definitely sure but I think Jimmy Smits is.

#3 of 73 chuck_b

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 01:25 PM

Just DVR'd the recent 3/2 episode and Smits is listed in the main credits. Alan Alda was not in the main credits.
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. "

#4 of 73 Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 05:54 PM

Many thanks!

#5 of 73 Dax P

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 06:06 AM

Alda IS in the opening credits of the episodes that he APPEARS in, though (in and out, like they used to do with Stockard Channing, although lately I think she's even in the credits for episodes she ISN'T in...).

#6 of 73 Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 07:57 AM

They couldn't make it easy for me, could they? Posted Image

#7 of 73 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 09:42 AM

If you're trying to guess who will be head of the next administration, you won't do it by looking at the credits. John Wells, in an interview, has announced that he doesn't know who will be the next president when Bartlett's term is up next year. He knows that changing parties will certainly change the dynamic of the show, but it won't lose viewers in his opinion. He claims that a good chunk of their audience now is Republican, they watch to disagree with the viewpoints expressed. Wells claims that they will go with whichever candidate offers the most storyline possibilities.

Cynically, I think they'll go with whichever candidate's salary is in line (and who's chief of staff is an established character to hold on to their audience the best they can).

Without being cynical, I think the show has improved greatly the past few months over last season and the first few dry episodes of this season. I'm absolutely loving the perspective of the campaigns and think it's really given the show a shot in the arm. Whenever the show drifts back to the White House, I wish it were back out on the campaign trail with Josh. I'm actually very hopeful for the administration shift next year (regardless of whether it is Smitts or Alda).

#8 of 73 chuck_b

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 02:06 PM

Just read in the paper today about a recent poll conducted by Zogby which had Smits winning by a wide margin. Based on the track record with early exit polling last year however, I guess a grain of salt is required :wink:
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. "

#9 of 73 PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 03:05 PM

Quote:
Whenever the show drifts back to the White House, I wish it were back out on the campaign trail with Josh.

Absolutely! The Josh eps have been great this season.

The problem with having an elected Republican president would be the necessity to change virtually the whole cast. For that reason alone, I think Alda is a dead duck.

#10 of 73 Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 03:58 PM

I also remember reading somewhere that Alda said he wasn't up for doing a weekly series on a regular basis again. However, they could still have Vinick elected and they could change the show back to the original concept: the president will only appear in a handful of episodes per season.
Go to see the film An Inconvenient Truth - one of the most important films of a generation.

Watch the I've Got Munchies podcast.

#11 of 73 Dax P

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 06:03 PM

Judging by how much screentime Vinick has received in proportion to Santos...

I'd be pretty surprised if Santos didn't win.

ABC has a development-deal-in-waiting with Smits, but Smits and Teri Polo both speak of planning to continue on West Wing next year...

The campaign episodes have been really interesting, agree with those saying that...

#12 of 73 Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 258 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted March 07 2005 - 12:26 AM

I'm loving the campaign trail. Smits as Pres, Josh as CoS? That would be interesting.. does CJ get hired back as Press Sec'y? What about Toby? Has Donna proven herself enough to get a better job (Josh's old job??) Malina? Lots of interesting possibilities... oh, and we need a new Veep too.

#13 of 73 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,795 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 11:56 PM

I think the only way to keep most of the cast is to have Santos win. And although I am more ideologically in tune with Santos, I'd be happy to see either Santos or Vinick win. Smits and Alda have been great and the show could continue with either in charge. I'm betting on a big November sweeps episodes with the election happening. This season's finale should have Santos getting the nomination.

#14 of 73 Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 06:22 AM

For reasons stated by others above, I too think that Santos will win the election. However, having said that, I do hope that they will make excellent use of Alan Alda before his time on the show is over (possibly even keeping him on the show after the election, maybe as the new Speaker of the House?). One of the criticisms I had of Bartlet's re-election campaign was that Governor Ritchie wasn't much of a fleshed-out character; I think they lost a real opportunity to contrast Bartlet's views with a Republican who was in many ways his equal. Instead they went with a thinly-disguised Bush replacement in Ritchie; this served the purpose Sorkin had in mind, but in this instance I'd like to see more, particularly with an actor of Alda's calibre involved.
"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#15 of 73 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,479 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 08 2005 - 11:13 AM

Quote:
This season's finale should have Santos getting the nomination.
I've read that this season will indeed end with the conventions. You have to assume Santos & Vinick will get the nominations.
Quote:
...in this instance I'd like to see more, particularly with an actor of Alda's calibre involved.
I agree completely, and so far they've set Vinick up as a conservative with substance, who has the respect of the staff (as opposed to Ritchie, for whom they were unable to disguise their contempt). It was a good move of the writers to set him apart from the pack by having him refuse to "take the pledge" in Iowa. BTW, that Iowa episode, which had the parallel stories with the different campaigns, was amazing! My favorite of the year so far.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#16 of 73 PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 03:14 PM

Does this show have an exceptionally long hiatus? Reason I ask is because Alda is probably already in rehearsals for "Glengarry Glenn Ross" (on Broadway) and that keeps him 6-days-a-week busy until September.

#17 of 73 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 04:43 PM

Quote:
Judging by how much screentime Vinick has received in proportion to Santos...

I'd be pretty surprised if Santos didn't win.

ABC has a development-deal-in-waiting with Smits, but Smits and Teri Polo both speak of planning to continue on West Wing next year...
I thought this year was supposed to be the last year.

#18 of 73 DaveBB

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 04:25 AM

I think Stockard Channing also only appears in the opening credits when she's in a show.

#19 of 73 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 03:15 AM

Based on last nights show, they made it clear that the Republican field has narrowed to just Vinnick. There were several lines about Democrats deciding "who would be facing Vinnick in the fall."

However, I'm pretty positive Santos will win. When they first started campaigning, and both Vinnick and Santos seemed like longshots, I thought they might try a cross-party ticket with Vinnick taking up the VP slot, but it seems they want to begin next season with a showdown between two popular candidates. Doing so creates more tension unlike the wipe-out between Bartlett and Ritchie (I also agree Ritchie was too thinly drawn to be interesting, let alone make for any suspense as to the outcome of the election).

It aslo appears that Donna's new role as spokesperson for the Russell campaign grooms her for a press secretary job in the future. I know one of the reasons of putting Donna on an opposing campaign was to open up a possibility of her and Josh, but I think the writers have learned that the show has moved beyond that, and its viewers are more interested in political relationships rather than personal ones.

It's also my belief that Donna and Josh will be the only two remaining cast members next season, possibly Kate. Toby and C.J. have been positioned as staffers who wouldn't move on to the next administration, at least not in vital capacities.

With all that said, last night's episode confirmed what I've been feeling. the writers who've taken over from Sorkin could never get a handle on Bartlett, so he's always seemd like a shadow of his former self. With the creation of a president from scratch, they can finally shake the spectre of Sorkin and transform the show into their own entity.

(Next weeks Castro episode looksto be as lifeless as the Israel/Palestine episodes. Please stay on the campaign trail...)

#20 of 73 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
I know one of the reasons of putting Donna on an opposing campaign was to open up a possibility of her and Josh
An interesting thought Chad. I assumed that the reason was to eliminate the romantic problems that had grown up between them and that could not be easily resolved.
¡Time is not my master!

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow