Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: First Contact - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 of 147 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 03:36 AM

#2 of 147 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,470 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 05 2005 - 03:54 AM

hmm, no deleted scenes. ialways thought there was a rumor of an extended battle sequence in the begining. guess not. cant wait to add this to my coollection.
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 147 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 04:06 AM

I've been waiting for this SCE for years and it's almost here. Amazing DTS track to boot you say? Can't wait!

Fantastic review, makes me drool even more to have it! Posted Image

#4 of 147 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 04:48 AM

While this a must get for me, I am very disappointed in the lack of deleted scenes. As long as it takes for these CEs to come out, there is absolutely no damn reason not to include some. And I really wish they would do away with the brushed silver border. I don't mind very small borders(I infact like minor borders because it actually aids in the visual appeal), but large ones tend to overpower the artwork. Knitpicking aside, I've been waiting for this one for awhile.

#5 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 05 2005 - 04:57 AM

I've read in a couple different places that there aren't any deleted scenes for First Contact. I know there was a rumor of a Sisko/Worf scene on DS9 that was cut, but that's all it ever amounted to: a rumor. Is there any confirmation Frakes had to delete anything from the final cut of the movie? The internet and message boards are great for this kind of thing, but everyone's always saying "I heard this" or "I saw a pic of that". At any rate, I can finally get rid of my single disc edition and upgrade. Definately looking forward to this.

#6 of 147 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,655 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 05 2005 - 05:05 AM

Great review Scotty beam me up a copy! Posted Image

My favorite of the Next Gen movies, and my 3rd favorite of the Trek decalogy.
Really looking forward to perusing those juicy extras and I may even give the film itself a shot.Posted Image

Nice to see there's a tribute to the late great Jerry Goldsmith on the disc.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#7 of 147 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 05:15 AM

Someone on another thread mentioned that Frakes wanted to have deleted scenes but I don't remember the details. Also in the original script, the Hawk character was supposed to be homosexual and there are scenes that established this that were filmed but ultimately cut (rumor) at Braga's insistence.

#8 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 05 2005 - 05:40 AM

^ See, I think everyone's heard that at one time or another, but there's no hard evidence of that. Neal McDonaugh hasn't confirmed that; Frakes hasn't confirmed it. Why would Braga cut a storyline or character piece that he and Moore wrote? That doesn't make much sense. Hawk being gay was followed up in the novel "Rogue". At least with other cut scenes, there are photos, script pieces and whatnot to confirm something was supposed to be there. AFAIK, there's nothing for First Contact. While not a fantastic source, the IMDB doesn't list any alternate versions for the film, suggesting to me that everything that was written was filmed and used.

#9 of 147 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 06:31 AM

I thought the first release of this had reference quality picture and the DD was quite impressive. Is it the same transfer? How do they compare?
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#10 of 147 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 07:16 AM

Uh, the same reasons ANY kind of scene in film are cut; because it either doesn't fit with the rest of the film and/or needs to be cut for time contraints.

#11 of 147 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 07:37 AM

There's only 2 reasons why I upgrade a dvd - deleted scenes/director's cut or improved picture quality. In this case, since there are no deleted scenes, I'd like to know if the picture quality is a step up from the current release or not, since that will be the deciding factor on whether I buy this or not.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#12 of 147 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 07:42 AM

Unfortunately, I can't compare video quality with the original release, since I don't have access to it. However, the DTS track is definitely an improvement over the DD track included on the Collector's Edition - which is most likely the same DD track as on the original release.

#13 of 147 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 08:35 AM

I have access to it, I will post screenshots.

#14 of 147 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 09:02 AM

I will not say which one is which. You decide first which one is better. It's kind of a blind test!!

Original
Collector's Edition

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original
Collector's Edition

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 of 147 OFFLINE   Clark Bradley

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 09:02 AM

Are the menus scenes from the movie or computer generated? From what I have seen, they look exactly like the movie. Could you post more? I'm particulary interested in the Federation menu turning Borg. Thanks

#16 of 147 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 09:04 AM

deleted.

#17 of 147 OFFLINE   Clark Bradley

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 09:07 AM

For the first set, I'm going to say the second is the CE. One thing I don't like about the original DVD is how white or washed out everyone looked...very pale. The second shows a warm tint to Riker and Data's hair does not look as black. (notice the back of Riker's chair in each). I'll say the second one again for the second shot. The green light gives it away...it seems to flood everywhere in the first pic but it is confined to the area where the light emits in the second.

#18 of 147 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 09:18 AM

The second scene #1 seems to have more detail/EE. Both #2s look better to me.
I've got my own Toto

#19 of 147 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for posting the screenshots, Sam. Clark - the menu backgrounds look computer generated to me, but then that scene was partially computer generated in the film as well. I will further scrutinize them. I'll also try to get a low framerate video capture posted of the menu animation. For bandwidth reasons, it'll be low rez and highly compressed, but it should let you see what you want. -Scott

#20 of 147 OFFLINE   Clark Bradley

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 09:25 AM

Thank you, Thank you!!! I'm dying here. Mine was supposedly shipped on 3/04 but I'm still waiting. It's like Christmas. Posted Image

Can't wait to see the video of the menus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users