Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Haute Tension - Which Version, and where to buy?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Benson R

Benson R

Supporting Actor

• 741 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 06:33 AM

I heard this was pretty good, and wanted to pick it up. I see its going to get an american release, but I believe Lions Gate has it, so there release probably will be cut down to get an R. Anyway, I read the french version has no english subs. There is a korean version but it is non anamorphic and has cuts to it. I see there is a recently released version in the UK titled Switchblade Romance. Does anyone know if this is A - anmamorphic, B - original french with english subs, C - uncut? Also who would be a good retailer to pick this up. There is also some Hong Kong stuff I have been meaning to buy, so it would be nice if I could order all of it from the same place.
XBL Gamertag: PVT Hicks

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 09:03 AM

According to the DVDBeaver, the R2/PAL UK disc is the best of the bunch in terms of the transfer, as well as including "English friendly" extras. Look up the comparison on their site. My only caveat would be that the so-called "CD WOW Exclusive" version is native NTSC (not derived from PAL, I don't think) and thus might look better on your monitor if you have to convert the UK PAL disc to NTSC. But that's a fairly big "if", and the availability of English-subbed extras on the UK disc might resolve any question you have in its favor. Anyway, that's the one I have on order from Amazon.UK, but it's been delayed due to a wait for an import Bryan Ferry SACD I also ordered.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Benson R

Benson R

Supporting Actor

• 741 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the tip, is the version your talking about the one titled "Switchblade Romance"? Also can anyone recommend a good retailer that sells all kinds of non R1 titles that would carry this. I have several hong kong items i would like to add to an order, plus the figuring the exchange rate, amazon uk's price for this seems a little high.
XBL Gamertag: PVT Hicks

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Ron Boster

Ron Boster

Screenwriter

• 1,151 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 02:36 PM

Another vote for UK version. I bought mine from Amazon UK. CDwow would be another good retailer. Here is a cdwow link for $2 off per title. You have to activate the discount by clicking on the link at the top of the page. It will automatically take $2 off each title.

http://www8.cd-wow.u...._1&affid=14282

Ron

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 09:27 AM

I got a uncut Hong Kong (I think)version. But its dubbed. However this are long periods of no dialogue. Its a very visual film, so its not so bad.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 09:49 AM

HKFlix.com has a 2-disc Korean all-region NTSC edition.
It defaults to a cut version, but if you choose Title 2, it will play the uncut version. I got this & the audio (French 5.1 & DTS with good English subs) & video are solid. The features on disc 2 are in French, sans subtitles unfortunately.
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted March 21 2005 - 12:37 PM

Benson
I have just watched the UK R2 Switchblade Romance AKA Haute Tension. It does live up to all the hype including the love/loathe twist ending......
Yes it is Anamorphic and looks very good.
Yes it is Original French Dolby Digital 5.1 with burnt in subtitles.
Soundtrack is very good for a DD (This comes from someone who loves & appreciates DTS)
Yes it is uncut. I understand the US version has been re-edited and lost about a minute.
All extras are english subtitled and the commentary, exclusive to this disc, with the director & star is in english.
Here's a review of the disc:
DVD Times R2 Review
Metal Damage, Brain Damage...Are you listening Bronze? I am the Nightrider. I'm a Fuel Injected Suicide Machine......

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 06:23 PM

I have the Hong Kong r3 version. It's uncut, anamorphic, English subbed and DTS. It's as definitive as you're going to get at the moment. @ Jon Z: The version you mention is from Thailand

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted April 25 2005 - 06:27 PM

Benson,
I wasn't aware that Lions Gate was in the habit of cutting alot of their films. I always assumed that my copy of "Cabin Fever" for example was the full version. By how much will it be censored when it gets released in North America? Not too substantial, I hope. Otherwise, that region 0 version from www.hk.flix.com looks mighty tempting.
"Uncommon beauty is commonly overlooked".
THE WOODSMAN

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 26 2005 - 01:35 AM

I don't know about the DVD, but Lions Gate is not just cutting the film for an R-rating, but also dubbing it into English for the theatrical release. And their DVDs typically suck anyway. You're not doing yourself any favors by waiting on them to get this right. The likelihood is near nil.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted April 26 2005 - 11:25 AM

You can pick it up here at DDDHouse for just under $15.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon B NY

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted May 01 2005 - 07:17 PM

I'm going to second (third) the edition reccomended by Dean and Donnie. My friend and I each bought this film at a Horror convention today. He got the R2, I got this. I'm satisfied with my purchase over the R2. Although the R2 has an audio commentary (in which he supposibly speaks English), the Hong Kong version has a beautiful DTS track which made the movie so much more engaging for me. Plus on average, this version is about 5-10 bucks cheaper, depending on your retailer. I personally saved 5 beans over the R2. Like Dean said, between it being anamorphic widescreen, NOT dubbed, and having a magnificant DTS track, this is the way to go. All for under 20 bucks too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users