-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just when I thought it couldnt get any better....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 02:49 AM

So a few days after I got my dunlavy's I was in heaven. I have my dunlavys and my brain is starting to think. Now I need a new amp. I need speaker stands. I need some new speaker cables to biwire them... etc.

Then my wife calls. "Honey, they are clearing out the dunlavy stuff! They said we could take anything we wanted. I dont know quite what I got but I went crazy!" "I grabbed a bunch of nuts and bolts, and some glue sticks.... " "I also got 4 subs, a bunch of speaker cable, and some other cables, oh and I got a fiberoptic cable!"

So Im thinking hmmmmmm.... subs? Interesting. I wonder what I could do with those. I wonder if they are any good. But if the cables are any good I can definitly use those. Oh well Ill find out when she gets home tonight.

Heres what she came home with...

Posted Image

Posted Image

So cool some big speaker wire and some decent speaker cables and rca's. The rca's have no logo or anything on them. The speaker cables acctually say "Dunlavy audio labs" on them. Then come to find out the big speaker cable is DUAL 4 GUAGE and it is silver wire!!!! Wow!

Then I open up the boxes......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If im not mistaken.... those look just like adire audio drivers. I think one is a tempest... the 15. And I cant tell what the other is. It looks like a DBL12 but its a 10" driver. Well I definitly need to have ron come over and look at them. He could tell. Then this summer Im gonna build me a couple subs.

So I was pretty impressed. They just gave this stuff away. My wife was told by the people who worked for dunlavy that the speaker wire is worth $400 for every 10 feet. I have proably 40 feet of it. And my wife may be coming home with more tonight!

#2 of 15 MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 03:02 AM

Lucky bastard! Enjoy!

#3 of 15 David Bikeman

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 04:53 AM

Keys to the toy factory. Jealousy dosen't begin to tell the story. Posted Image

David

#4 of 15 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 05:21 AM

Posted Image I need my wife to solder some connecters on that big silver wire. Theres no way I can properly do it with out connectors.

I just had a couple friends over to listen. They were pretty amazed.

#5 of 15 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 05:21 AM

Can anyone tell if I am correct in saying those are adire audio drivers?

#6 of 15 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,526 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 04 2005 - 05:29 AM

I wouldn't solder anything to those wires, just get some good bananas and pop them on. There's really no need to solder them.

The top driver looks pretty average, even sub-par, but the lower driver looks pretty decent - good size magnet, nice basket and cone. Couldn't tell you what it is though.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 15 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 05:47 AM

Well I just called ron stimpson (SVS). He said they proably are not adire-audio. He made a very valid point. He said "If adire-audio made drivers for dunlavy... everyone in the world would know!"

So he said its proably best to just put them on ebay. Becuase it will be tough to find the thiele small paramaters on them. Posted Image Im gonna see if my wife can dig them up at work.

#8 of 15 BrianAe

BrianAe

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 05:59 AM

I'd put the speaker wire on audiogon or ebay too. If you can really sell it for even half of what you say it is worth.

First though, hook em up and see if you think they are any improvement.

#9 of 15 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 03:14 AM

Your proably right. But my wife did find the theile small parameters on the 10's. So Im gonna use those.

#10 of 15 Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 04:43 AM

The woofers are probably made by the same build house as Adire's drivers, that's why they look similar.

#11 of 15 Dustin B

Dustin B

Producer

• 3,128 posts

Posted March 05 2005 - 06:12 AM

Top driver is definately not a Tempest. Surround, dust cap and the motor are all different. I'd say the build house suggestion is the most likely explanation.

http://www.adireaudi...st_overhead.jpg

http://www.adireaudi...empest_rear.jpg
Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

#12 of 15 Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 09:01 AM

So for curiousity sake, can you post the TS-Params for the cast 10"...???

Also where did she find the 10" TSP's, in another 10" box..?

Guess the reason I ask is how do you know (they are for THAT 10") driver...?

Did the param sheet have a number of some sort on it, a picture, etc, something matching up to that driver, or just what..??

Never have I found, won, be given, or stumbled onto anything of value (let alone high end audio) in my life.. Posted Image

You's are one very Lucky Guy...!
Wife is was certainly--->Right place, right time I guess, and BIG time...

I'll go sulk now...Posted Image

Cheers
Geoff ¥
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#13 of 15 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 11:23 AM

You might try to post what info you have on the drivers in USENET and perhaps someone will come up with some information.

That's a haul and a half Jesse. I take it there's no more complete speakers or amps laying around.

#14 of 15 Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted March 06 2005 - 12:24 PM

No, there is nothing left. But one of the guys that used to put dunlavy speakers together got me the thiele small paramters. So I asume they are right. I hope I dont build a box for it then it sounds terrible.

#15 of 15 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 12:25 AM

Go for it Posted Image