What's new

Reception problem with Hughes reciever and DirectTv service -- Please Help! (1 Viewer)

Charles Cymbor

Auditioning
Hey all,
I have a reception problem that started this Saturday when we had some heavy rain. First let me describe the problem:
I get audio with interuptions, but no picture. I am able to bring up the guide and change channels fine. I ran the diagnostic tests that are in the reciever's "Installation" menu and everything seems to check out fine (average '85' signal strength across all the tests which is what I've always gotten).
I don't know the exact model number of the Hughes reciever but I can tell you that I got it free (15 dollar shipping charge) on a deal I found here in the forum. I did the installation myself and everything has worked perfectly for about 6 months.
Any suggestions on what I could do? I took a brief look at all the connections and they all look like they previously did.
The only thing I can think of is that water got in somewhere where it shouldn't have. But that doesn't really make sense because I would think that then I would not be getting anything at all.
Any suggestions anybody could provide will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, you have got a weird problem here. I think that the signals for accessing the menus are different then the ones for the shows. I have to ask if you have the rubber cover over your 'F' connector ouside, because water can do strange things.
Maybe some water got inside the horn too. I'd have to suspect water damage, and the cheapest way out would be a cable swap. You could bring the horn inside for a day and dry it out. Sorry, that's all I have.

Charles Cymbor

Auditioning
Yeah I am also suspecting water damage. I do not have a cover on any of my connector's outside, so you are probably right.
So anyway, I think I'm just going to call a local installer and have them come look at it as it's cold and slippery out and I don't feel like messing with it.
Thanks for the response.
BTW, what the heck is the horn!?

Nick_G

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
"BTW, what the heck is the horn!?"
technically its called an LNB (low noise block). if it does need replaced you can purchase them just about anywhere where DBS systems are sold.
quote:
"I get audio with interuptions, but no picture. I am able to bring up the guide and change channels fine."
i had the same problem a few weeks ago. just do a hard reboot, meaning unplug the receiver and let it sit for about 5 minutes to reset itself, plug it back in and turn it on. that fixed the problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks