-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Trek: Insurrection SE on June 7th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#1 of 136 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 04:57 PM

That was fast! (As per startrek.com) See you on June 7th!

Yeah, I know. It's not exactly the best Trek film ever made. Posted Image

Disc 1

Widescreen (enhanced for 16:9 TVs)
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and French Dolby Surround
Text Commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda

(Audio commentary isn't listed but Jonathan Frakes recently recorded one, according to comments he made at a recent convention.)

Disc 2

Production
-It Takes a Village
-Location, Location, Location
-The Art of "Insurrection"
-Anatomy of a Stunt
-The Story of "Insurrection"
-Making "Insurrection"
-Director's Notebook

The Star Trek Universe
-Westmore's Aliens
-Star Trek's Beautiful Alien Women

Creating the Illusion (Behind-the-scenes footage of sequences filled with action and visual effects)
-Shuttle Chase
-The Drones
-The Duck Blind

Deleted Scenes
-Ru'afo's Facelift
-Working Lunch
-Flirting
-The Kiss
-Disabling the Injector
-Alternate Ending

Archives
-Storyboards
-Photo Gallery

Advertising
-Teaser Trailer
-Theatrical Trailer
-Original Promotional Featurette
-Borg Invasion 4-D Trailer

#2 of 136 David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 05:26 PM

Deleted scenes! Yahoo. I hope we get extra deleted scenes on the NEMSIS SE (and nto just the same 20 minutes on the first disc) when it comes out.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#3 of 136 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 05:41 PM

I didn't dislike this movie, but I strongly disliked parts of it. I think when the history of this franchise is written, the release of this film in addition to the dislike for ST:Voyager are going to mark the true beginning of the decline of Star Trek as an entertainment property. Critics and audiences embraced First Contact, though not in spectacular fashion. This movie was not horrid, but it was the wrong choice. You can't go into outright comedy mode until you've been in darkness mode for a bit. You have to earn your laughs through tears. There should have been one more ST film after First Contact that dredged the darker waters, making Insurrection a well-earned romp.

Shakespeare knew this. Introduction of the characters and the conflict. Conflict gets dark. Conflict gets extremely dark and serious. Levity and pause. Final battle.

That's the model for the original ST movies, if you're like most and pretend ST5 doesn't exist. It's no wonder ST6 makes numerous nods to Shakespeare -- throw out "Final Frontier" and you have a classical Shakespearean 5-act structure.

The Next Generation movies, sadly, lack such depth. They are 2-hour made for TV episodes on a feature film budget. The only one that is satisfying as a movie unfortunately is also the most derivative of the bunch. I enjoy ST8 like everybody else, I also see The Terminator, Aliens, and Star Trek 4 stamped all over it. Even though it was a forgery, it was a clever and enjoyable forgery, so hats off.

Insurrection. The collapse of the respect for the TV shows either bled out onto this movie, or this movie bled out onto the TV shows, but either way, Trek was on serious life support after this movie, and would flatline later with Nemesis and the non-event that was the TV show Enterpirse.

Now, the original movies work great if you pretend Trek 5 doesn't exist.

I think the Next Generation series works best this way:

Watch the "Borg" episodes" of The Next Generation, at least those up until "The Best of Both Worlds", and then watch ST: First Contact.

Pretend Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis don't exist.

Maybe that doesn't give the NG movies a Shakespearean arc. But then, I don't think Shakespeare would have worked for Mr. Berman.

#4 of 136 Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 05:58 PM

I think people are way too hard on this movie. Yes, it was a huge step down in quality after Star Trek: First Contact (one of my favourite movies of all time), but as a fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I enjoyed it for the opporunity it gave me to see its cast together again. The premise is weak, and it does have a lot of problems, but for anyone with affection for the characters from the show, there should be some entertainment value to be found in it. By the way, Ernest, I think you meant "ST8" up there when you were talking about a Star Trek movie combining elements of Aliens, Terminator, and Star Trek IV.

#5 of 136 Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 06:18 PM

Quote:
The extras are extensive and may be the most on a Trek DVD since "Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director's Edition."
That's encouraging. TMP is one of my favorite DVDs and clearly the best Trek DVD available.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#6 of 136 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,117 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 03 2005 - 07:09 PM

I don't have any major complaints against Insurrection. I think of it as a good two part Next Generation episode. I never saw it on the big screen, and I never will, so I don't see the harm in approaching it this way.

Glad to have the SE on the way. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 136 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 11:30 PM

While not a great movie, Insurrection was the last acceptable Trek film. The stuff with F. Murray Abraham was just bad, but the idyllic community of Donna Murphy was straight out of Roddenberry.

Anyone notice how many times the same bits are used in TNG films? In Insurrection, the movie poster rips off the STVI teaser poster. The ending rips off Generations (which ripped off ST III). The last-minute save is duplicated yet again in Nemesis (although it started in ST III and was used again in ST V).

#8 of 136 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 01:19 AM

I loved it the first time I watched it, but when I watched it sober the second time, I was a lot less enthused.

Anyway, it's enjoyable. It will definitely be worth $13.99 to get an anamorphic transfer (the first DVD had too much EE), DTS, and all the fun extras.

Doug

#9 of 136 RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 01:47 AM

I never did see this one but I'll be getting it... gotta finish the series only one more after this Posted Image

#10 of 136 KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 01:51 AM

Quick question for those with big screens. Was Generations full screen or did it still have some bars? I forget which ration is actually a full widescreen on my TV.

#11 of 136 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,210 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 04 2005 - 02:00 AM

Oh goody, like most people here I felt let down with Insurrection after the excellent First Contact, but it has grown on me over the years. I like it a lot more than I do Nemesis, easily my least favorite Trek movie.

btw as much as I enjoy hearing F.Murray Abrahams frustrated scream in Insurrection, the yell they used in the trailer was even better.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#12 of 136 paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 02:30 AM

im thrilled to finaly see the alternate ending
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#13 of 136 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 03:08 AM

That definitely confirms what I'd felt all along about Insurrection, that we'd see it in the same year as the First Contact SE DVD. As for the Nemesis SE DVD, we'll definitely expect it by the end of this year.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#14 of 136 Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 03:57 AM

Ernest, I have to say I'm stunned after reading your post: I honestly can't remember the last time I read a post as long as yours that said so many things I agree with! (And frankly, I'm not sure Mr. Berman even knows who Shakespeare was...) Posted Image Posted Image
"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#15 of 136 Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 03:58 AM

Count me in as someone who totally hated this film. It took the bad cliched elements of the movies and TNG show (I loved TNG, but it had a few flaws, and that's what I am referring to here) and lumped them together. The villain was forgettable, the comedy was anything but, and the plot was done better in the TV show. Data malfunctioning, the Enterprise in danger, the crew has to save some people, boring boring boring. I think I hated this worse than Generations!

#16 of 136 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 06:33 AM

I couldn't get past the dorky costumes the crew appeared in when they were all lined up in casual wear. To make it worse, they revealed these costumes in a scene when the lights come up and the crew is standing there all in row - it was like a children's play, the costumes were so unnatural, so unbelievable, so "bad sci-fi". Worf's outfit especially.

Actually maybe it was Worf's outfit that made all the other outfits look bad.

Click here for what I mean
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#17 of 136 Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 07:08 AM

Wow. So THAT's what the fashion of the future looks like! Makes sense. I could see it going in that direction. Posted Image

#18 of 136 Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
It will definitely be worth $13.99 to get an anamorphic transfer (the first DVD had too much EE), DTS, and all the fun extras.
The current DVD is anamorphic and looks pretty good.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#19 of 136 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 08:34 AM

Quote:
I couldn't get past the dorky costumes the crew appeared in when they were all lined up in casual wear.

I dunno...at least they're not "Lost in Space" bad.
-Jay

#20 of 136 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 09:03 AM

Bad "civilian" costumes I can deal with. (It's never been Trek's strong-point anyway... look at the civvy outfits from STIII. Chekov in pink with a bib-lookin' collar fer chrissakes!)

It's the damn "emergency-steering column" BS (drive a starship with a joystick!) that pissed me off. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow