What's new

Star Trek: Insurrection SE on June 7th (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
That was fast! (As per startrek.com) See you on June 7th!

Yeah, I know. It's not exactly the best Trek film ever made. :)

Disc 1

Widescreen (enhanced for 16:9 TVs)
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and French Dolby Surround
Text Commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda

(Audio commentary isn't listed but Jonathan Frakes recently recorded one, according to comments he made at a recent convention.)

Disc 2

Production
-It Takes a Village
-Location, Location, Location
-The Art of "Insurrection"
-Anatomy of a Stunt
-The Story of "Insurrection"
-Making "Insurrection"
-Director's Notebook

The Star Trek Universe
-Westmore's Aliens
-Star Trek's Beautiful Alien Women

Creating the Illusion (Behind-the-scenes footage of sequences filled with action and visual effects)
-Shuttle Chase
-The Drones
-The Duck Blind

Deleted Scenes
-Ru'afo's Facelift
-Working Lunch
-Flirting
-The Kiss
-Disabling the Injector
-Alternate Ending

Archives
-Storyboards
-Photo Gallery

Advertising
-Teaser Trailer
-Theatrical Trailer
-Original Promotional Featurette
-Borg Invasion 4-D Trailer

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Deleted scenes! Yahoo. I hope we get extra deleted scenes on the NEMSIS SE (and nto just the same 20 minutes on the first disc) when it comes out.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I didn't dislike this movie, but I strongly disliked parts of it. I think when the history of this franchise is written, the release of this film in addition to the dislike for ST:Voyager are going to mark the true beginning of the decline of Star Trek as an entertainment property. Critics and audiences embraced First Contact, though not in spectacular fashion. This movie was not horrid, but it was the wrong choice. You can't go into outright comedy mode until you've been in darkness mode for a bit. You have to earn your laughs through tears. There should have been one more ST film after First Contact that dredged the darker waters, making Insurrection a well-earned romp.

Shakespeare knew this. Introduction of the characters and the conflict. Conflict gets dark. Conflict gets extremely dark and serious. Levity and pause. Final battle.

That's the model for the original ST movies, if you're like most and pretend ST5 doesn't exist. It's no wonder ST6 makes numerous nods to Shakespeare -- throw out "Final Frontier" and you have a classical Shakespearean 5-act structure.

The Next Generation movies, sadly, lack such depth. They are 2-hour made for TV episodes on a feature film budget. The only one that is satisfying as a movie unfortunately is also the most derivative of the bunch. I enjoy ST8 like everybody else, I also see The Terminator, Aliens, and Star Trek 4 stamped all over it. Even though it was a forgery, it was a clever and enjoyable forgery, so hats off.

Insurrection. The collapse of the respect for the TV shows either bled out onto this movie, or this movie bled out onto the TV shows, but either way, Trek was on serious life support after this movie, and would flatline later with Nemesis and the non-event that was the TV show Enterpirse.

Now, the original movies work great if you pretend Trek 5 doesn't exist.

I think the Next Generation series works best this way:

Watch the "Borg" episodes" of The Next Generation, at least those up until "The Best of Both Worlds", and then watch ST: First Contact.

Pretend Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis don't exist.

Maybe that doesn't give the NG movies a Shakespearean arc. But then, I don't think Shakespeare would have worked for Mr. Berman.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I think people are way too hard on this movie. Yes, it was a huge step down in quality after Star Trek: First Contact (one of my favourite movies of all time), but as a fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I enjoyed it for the opporunity it gave me to see its cast together again. The premise is weak, and it does have a lot of problems, but for anyone with affection for the characters from the show, there should be some entertainment value to be found in it. By the way, Ernest, I think you meant "ST8" up there when you were talking about a Star Trek movie combining elements of Aliens, Terminator, and Star Trek IV.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
That's encouraging. TMP is one of my favorite DVDs and clearly the best Trek DVD available.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I don't have any major complaints against Insurrection. I think of it as a good two part Next Generation episode. I never saw it on the big screen, and I never will, so I don't see the harm in approaching it this way.

Glad to have the SE on the way. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
While not a great movie, Insurrection was the last acceptable Trek film. The stuff with F. Murray Abraham was just bad, but the idyllic community of Donna Murphy was straight out of Roddenberry.

Anyone notice how many times the same bits are used in TNG films? In Insurrection, the movie poster rips off the STVI teaser poster. The ending rips off Generations (which ripped off ST III). The last-minute save is duplicated yet again in Nemesis (although it started in ST III and was used again in ST V).

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I loved it the first time I watched it, but when I watched it sober the second time, I was a lot less enthused.

Anyway, it's enjoyable. It will definitely be worth $13.99 to get an anamorphic transfer (the first DVD had too much EE), DTS, and all the fun extras.

Doug

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I never did see this one but I'll be getting it... gotta finish the series only one more after this :)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Quick question for those with big screens. Was Generations full screen or did it still have some bars? I forget which ration is actually a full widescreen on my TV.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oh goody, like most people here I felt let down with Insurrection after the excellent First Contact, but it has grown on me over the years. I like it a lot more than I do Nemesis, easily my least favorite Trek movie.

btw as much as I enjoy hearing F.Murray Abrahams frustrated scream in Insurrection, the yell they used in the trailer was even better.:D

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
That definitely confirms what I'd felt all along about Insurrection, that we'd see it in the same year as the First Contact SE DVD. As for the Nemesis SE DVD, we'll definitely expect it by the end of this year.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Ernest, I have to say I'm stunned after reading your post: I honestly can't remember the last time I read a post as long as yours that said so many things I agree with! (And frankly, I'm not sure Mr. Berman even knows who Shakespeare was...) :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Count me in as someone who totally hated this film. It took the bad cliched elements of the movies and TNG show (I loved TNG, but it had a few flaws, and that's what I am referring to here) and lumped them together. The villain was forgettable, the comedy was anything but, and the plot was done better in the TV show. Data malfunctioning, the Enterprise in danger, the crew has to save some people, boring boring boring. I think I hated this worse than Generations!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't get past the dorky costumes the crew appeared in when they were all lined up in casual wear. To make it worse, they revealed these costumes in a scene when the lights come up and the crew is standing there all in row - it was like a children's play, the costumes were so unnatural, so unbelievable, so "bad sci-fi". Worf's outfit especially.

Actually maybe it was Worf's outfit that made all the other outfits look bad.

Click here for what I mean

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Wow. So THAT's what the fashion of the future looks like! Makes sense. I could see it going in that direction. :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Bad "civilian" costumes I can deal with. (It's never been Trek's strong-point anyway... look at the civvy outfits from STIII. Chekov in pink with a bib-lookin' collar fer chrissakes!)

It's the damn "emergency-steering column" BS (drive a starship with a joystick!) that pissed me off. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks