What's new

1014 and SVS PB10-ISD (1 Viewer)

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Ok no replies on speaker forum so posting here.

Hooked up my SVS sub and Im disappointed in it.

I have it autoMCACC calibrated and it is showing at a +1.0 dB,the receiver set my fronts and surrounds to large-which I set back to small as per some reading here, please help me, I hear so many good things about SVS to believe something in my receiver setup must be set wrong or something somewhere has to be set wrong for this sub to not hit like I thought it would

As of right now I have heard 12" JBL E series subs that sounded way better than my SVS

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Believe it or not, that is a common response when someone hears an SVS for the first time. When you are used to a sloppy, boomy sub, the clean SVS sound typically doesn't bowl people over. Your room placement and size will be a factor of course. Also, I wouldn't necessarily trust the auto setup... Give it a week or so, and put it through it's paces, you will find that it is definitely up to the task.

How big is your room?

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to check your xover point both on the Sub and in the 1014 setup menus. Hit System Setup on the remote, go to 4 (manual speaker setup), then 4b Crossover and experiment with the various options. I generally use 50 Hz but then again I don't have anything as fancy as an SVS (Infinity PS-12).

Also check on the sub. If it has a mode to bypass/disable the xover, do so, and let the receiver do the xover. If it has no bypass/disable mode, set the xover point at or higher than the xover point in the receiver of you'll end up with gaps in the audible spectrum.

As others have mentioned, sub placement, listening position, and room dymanics all come into play also. You might want to invest in a sound meter and a copy of Digital Video Essentials or Avia and do some manual tweaking.

Oh one other thing: if you sub has a phase adjustment you could try tweaking that also.

Cheers,
Scott

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Scott, Ron from SVS posted some things for me to check in the speaker forum, thanks for the reply Im looking for what to check versus the receiver to make sure its not obvious.

I have the subwoofer hooked to the top sub preout also on back of the receiver

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
For music, when properly calibrated, you should not be able to tell you have a sub. Having a subwoofer does not mean having way loud bass, although the subwoofer is capable of delivering louder bass. The sub should integrate with the rest of your system.

In a properly set-up home theater, when listening to music, you should be unaware of your sub unless you are playing pipe organ music.

Now explosions during a movie are another matter. Your SVS should rock your world.

MCACC has probably set your sub correctly. A lot of people like to listen to their sub about 3 db or so louder than "proper". This is what I do. Adjust you sub setting and add 3 db or so to it.

VinhT

Second Unit
Is it possible that perhaps there may a room induced peak in the sub's response? The auto-calibration may have noted it and set the level accordingly, resulting in overall output that is much too low.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Anyone else want to tell me if there is any setting tweaked on their receiver for their sub.

I dont know if its what you call brightness but all my JBL speakers seem loud compared to what the subwoofer is putting out and plus my living room doesnot have the ideal bread and butter speaker setup space.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Simple fix. . .You will find it. . . I did. . ,.

I had exactly the same thing happen. . .Double check your set=up menu. . . It will dawn on you. . .

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Guy dont know what happened but it pretty much worked itself out, Im rocking and rolling

Thats no moon thats a bass station! Obi Wan Kenobi on the SVS PB10-ISD

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
What I did was set the max level at "0" (or no output). . . by mistake. . . It would work when setting up but nothing on a movie. . . Finally I found where I screwed up and set the max level properly and have no trouble now. BTW this was on my VSX45TX Elite but I think they are about the same on set-up. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks