-

Photo
- - - - -

In wall speaker cable and bass shakers.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeMon

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 02 2005 - 12:20 PM

OK I am almost done with the cabling, however I have a question or 2.

1. I have ran 14 gage in wall monster cable for my 7.1 set up, is there any need to run 2 lines to each speaker? I may not have enough but I do have a lot left.

2. I have 4 bass shaker pros to install, will that be enough for 2 rows of seats, 1 3-4 seater and 1 2-3 seater. I was thinking on mounting them in the seats for the front and I might mount them in the riser for the rear or the seats as well (what do you think?). Do I need more or do I have enough and should I mount them on the seats or in the riser for the rear and on the seats for the front.

I hope this is a OK description for you guys to help me with. After I get this done I need to run a heater vent and a return, then I will have questions about where to install a future mount for my projector.

Mike

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Neil McCaulley

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 07:09 AM

If I am not mistaken you MUST run two lines to each speaker because of the positive and negative wires. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Mr. McCaulley

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   SteveLeach

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 08:10 AM

Personally, when I go to the trouble of running wire behind a wall or in an attic or crawl space. I always run an extra what ever to the location in question.

So for speaker locations I'd run an extra pair. For CAT5 I'd run an extra cable. The cost is cheap compared to work necessary to run a replacement cable later.

If something happens like driving a nail through the wall to hang a picture in the future cuts one of your speakers wires, your all set with an in wall spare.

As a side benefit, if you ever upgrade your speakers, you now have the ability to do A to B comparisons using the extra speaker wires.
Never give up! Never Surrender!
--Cmdr Taggart

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
If I am not mistaken you MUST run two lines to each speaker because of the positive and negative wires. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Anything packaged and sold as speaker cable will be at least a two-conductor cable.

Quote:
1. I have ran 14 gage in wall monster cable for my 7.1 set up, is there any need to run 2 lines to each speaker?
Not really, unless you intend to biwire or biamp your speakers.

Nevertheless, Steve has some excellent points. If any of them pique your interest, go ahead and run a second wire to each speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeMon

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 02:00 PM

Thnx guys, I guess since I bought 500 feet of this stuff I will start to run more wires till I am out...

Posted Image

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jon Bell

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted March 04 2005 - 05:35 AM

For the shakers, since they're so cheap, consider adding a third to the 3-4 seat riser. This may be overkill, though, because the Pro's are pretty beefy.

I'd attach them directly to the chairs-- take the fabric off the bottom of the chair and attach the shakers to the frames as close to the butt/ lower back as possible.

You should prewire this while you have the walls open-- one cable for the front row, one for the back row.

Forum Nav Content I Follow